SC20 or SV20? or other?

• Thread starter PMJ
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

PMJ

Reaction score
Hi, i'm looking for a JMP 2203/2204 sound in a portable package (15kg or less, preferably smallish box).

The SC20 or SV20 seem like a good option, but I know they don't have the juice or low end of the big brothers.

Would there be another amp that is close to the JMP with my weight/size requirements, or should i get one of the studio heads? in that case, which is closest? SC or SV? to my ears SC is closer but I haven't tried any in person yet so it might not be an accurate judgement.

thanks

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Hi, i'm looking for a JMP 2203/2204 sound in a portable package (15kg or less, preferably smallish box).

The SC20 or SV20 seem like a good option, but I know they don't have the juice or low end of the big brothers.

Would there be another amp that is close to the JMP with my weight/size requirements, or should i get one of the studio heads? in that case, which is closest? SC or SV? to my ears SC is closer but I haven't tried any in person yet so it might not be an accurate judgement.

thanks
SC20 is a 20 watt 2203 bud. :yesway:

PMJ

Reaction score
allright, my understanding was that the JMP2203/2204 was different from the JCM800 2203/2204, and that it might be somewhere between a JMP1959 and a JCM800 2203/2204, guess i was wrong!

guess i'll get a SC20 then, shame there is no way to make a JCM800 50watter portable, 20kg for the reissue head is too much for me especially with it's bulky size.

PMJ

Reaction score
The SC IS a 2204 in a smaller package. Whether the lack of low end is a big difference to you you would have to listen. If you get the head and have an existing cab it will sound closer than the combo. You gotta listen but the SC is exacrly that.
do you mean it would be closer because the combo is a 10"? not because the head version sounds bigger than the combo version if they would be both plugged into the same cab?

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
do you mean it would be closer because the combo is a 10"? not because the head version sounds bigger than the combo version if they would be both plugged into the same cab?
Right. Plugged into same cab they are the same amp.
Admittedly, some JMP will sound different from some JCM but then again, some JCM sound slightly different from one another given the tolerances of components at the time.
With the master volume system, the SC20 is the smallest version of the 2203. A 50 watter, while not much louder than the 20 watt, does have larger transformers so it has to be heavier. That is likely partly why they sound a bit better on the low end.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
allright, my understanding was that the JMP2203/2204 was different from the JCM800 2203/2204, and that it might be somewhere between a JMP1959 and a JCM800 2203/2204, guess i was wrong!

guess i'll get a SC20 then, shame there is no way to make a JCM800 50watter portable, 20kg for the reissue head is too much for me especially with it's bulky size.
You could use a re-amper to bump the SC20 to 50 watts and even 100 watts if you want. Take a look at the Bad Cat Unleash for example.

wakjob

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum
SC 20 all day, then get the SV 20.
Cheers
Mitch

:agreed:
Someday, Marshall will take their heads outta their ass and add a MV to something like the SV20.

I understand and know the circuit/component differences between a 2203 and 1959...
A well designed MV (*cough* Friedman *cough*) in a plexi circuit is king.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Someday, Marshall will take their heads outta their ass and add a MV to something like the SV20.

I understand and know the circuit/component differences between a 2203 and 1959...
Way back in the very early 80’s my buddy Rick had the 1987 with the MV mod done to it, that had to be my favorite amp ever.
Man I can tell ya that after a long lay off of playing guitar, when I purchased my Dsl40c’s I had a bit of a learning curve to know how to dial one of them in ha ha.
Cheers
Mitch

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score

Wouldnt a volume in loop work to that extent? Also, isnt the SC20 going to be real close?

ampeq

Reaction score
Ceriatone 2202 in a combo. http://www.ceriatone.com/british-style-2202/ Way more bang for your buck. This is what they say on the 2202 page:

"The 2202 started with the preamp of our 2203HW and 2204HW, but we added some features to make a timeless design even more flexible.

In the preamp, we added a 3-way Bright switch, which not only helps dial in the high frequency content, but also adds another means of sculpting the gain structure of the amplifier. Next, we added a powerful Boost switch, which defeats the tonestack and adds some serious gain and harmonic complexity. If that wasn’t enough, we added a Fat switch that was inspired by our OTS series. This changes the frequency of the Treble control, vastly thickening the midrange.

The power amp wasn’t safe either. We added a specially tuned Resonance control to help add thump and authority. Finally, and perhaps most importantly, we added a Post-Phase Inverter Master Volume that is so good, you can sell your attenuators for MOAR AMPSZ.

Oh, we can’t forget to mention this is all in a small chassis using 6V6s to put out a rotund 20W of power."

$625 head
$745 Combo (without speaker) I would put in a 75w CB I think.

Attachments

• 31883211080_a003ecd6a2_k.jpg
    31883211080_a003ecd6a2_k.jpg
    643.5 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

marshallmellowed

Reaction score

thanks
If you're looking for the "master volume" sound, get the SC20. If you're looking for the "non-master volume" sound, get the SV20. Simple as that.

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
SC20H in the Studio Series fits your requirements for a portable JCM800.

I have the SV20H and 2525H. I use a 2061CX 2x12 cabinet with either one. Sometimes an open back 1x12 with the SV. Great sounding if a 20 watt head fits your needs.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whether that alone provides the low end thump sorta loss from the smaller iron I dunno. But hey put an EQ in the loop amd go!
Yes, right on point Jethro, an eq in the loop is a good way to get a bit more low end from a SC20 or any other amp. I have one, and I use to use it to boost the low end a little.

I don’t use it much anymore because I also have a full size TC Electronics Spark Boost pedal with a full eq section. I like what the Spark does a bit better than the eq pedal.

I use the Spark as mostly a clean boost and low end boost. The Spark is on all the time, I’m an at home player so the Spark gives me a bit of boost and helps me get a better low end at moderate volumes.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Yes, right on point Jethro, an eq in the loop is a good way to get a bit more low end from a SC20 or any other amp. I have one, and I use to use it to boost the low end a little.

I don’t use it much anymore because I also have a full size TC Electronics Spark Boost pedal with a full eq section. I like what the Spark does a bit better than the eq pedal.

I use the Spark as mostly a clean boost and low end boost. The Spark is on all the time, I’m an at home player so the Spark gives me a bit of boost and helps me get a better low end at moderate volumes.
Yeah I will probably use an OD with 2 or 3 band EQ up front most of the time with mjne which can reinitiate any lost bass.