SC20 or SV20? or other?

• Thread starter PMJ
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wakjob

Reaction score
If you're looking for the "master volume" sound, get the SC20. If you're looking for the "non-master volume" sound, get the SV20. Simple as that.

What do I do about the cathode/bypass cap differences in each stage of an SLP vs 800?
Not to mention the topology of cascaded vs non?

See, there's a difference between a JCM800 (2203/2204) and a JTM/JMP/1987/1959 ect...

This is why Friedman amps (and others) exist.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
What do I do about the cathode/bypass cap differences in each stage of an SLP vs 800?

See, there's a difference between a JCM800 (2203/2204) and a JTM/JMP/1987/1959 ect...

Speaking only of the two Studio amps, not "other". If you, or anyone else, wants something different (Friedman, other...), then I'd say, get it.

Last edited:

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score

In terms of the OPs question, he was talking 2203 /2204 whether JMP or JCM. Still cascading master volume amps.

Kinkless Tetrode

Reaction score
The cranked and/or boosted plexi sound and the 2203 master volume sound are not night and day different. Those are the two Marshall amp designs that sound the most alike in practice.

If you need that sound in the most volume manageable package the SC20 is it.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
You want low end and good master volume.. with very usable EQ ... jubilee hands down
Does 800 and plexi tones with ease
While the Jubilee sounds good, it's not the same tonality as an 800 or Plexi. The Jubilee is focused more on the lower mids, with a "different" overdrive character going on. Never thought they sounded like an 800 or Plexi. Just my experience (as well as some others here), having had a few Jubilee's.

Jubilee23

Reaction score
While the Jubilee sounds good, it's not the same tonality as an 800 or Plexi. The Jubilee is focused more on the lower mids, with a "different" overdrive character going on. Never thought they sounded like an 800 or Plexi. Just my experience (as well as some others here), having had a few Jubilee's.

they are clearly different, but you can make a jube sound like an 800 easily... in the end the jube is still a jcm, and plexi tones are easily had with eq changes, are they the same amp no, can you make them sound like other amps 100%

SlyStrat

Reaction score
My SV with bright cap taken out has plenty of bass with just the stock Marshall SV 1x12 cab.
I have the bass control at 3-4.
With Barber Direct Drive Compact OD I can get any tone I want.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
they are clearly different, but you can make a jube sound like an 800 easily... in the end the jube is still a jcm, and plexi tones are easily had with eq changes, are they the same amp no, can you make them sound like other amps 100%
Using the clean channel with Rhythm liip ON it is sure closer. I think many associate the Jubilee with that thick saturated lead channel, as I do, amd forget that there are a whole host of other tones on the clean side.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
Again, disagree. I've spent many hours with both. 2203 side by side to my 2555SL, never could get the Jubilee to sound "the same" as the 2203. They are, by design, not the same. That's OK, you have your opinion, and I have mine.

Last edited:

Jubilee23

Reaction score
Again, disagree. I've spent many hours with both. 2203 side by side to my 2555SL, never could get the Jubilee to sound "the same" as the 2203. They are, by design, not the same. That's OK, you have your opinion, and I have mine.

im not sure who you are quoting when you say “the same” ... I didn’t say they were the same. I said you can easily get 800 tones out of a jubilee.. which you can. The jubilee is still a jcm series amp. This is not a comparison of two completely majorly different amps. If I said you can get 800 tone out of a fender deluxe reverb that’s one thing, but we are talking about two similar amps from the same model line. They can definitely sound very similar. You can get good 800 tones out of many “Marshall in a box” style pedals , never mind a jubilee

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
im not sure who you are quoting when you say “the same” ... I didn’t say they were the same. I said you can easily get 800 tones out of a jubilee.. which you can. The jubilee is still a jcm series amp. This is not a comparison of two completely majorly different amps. If I said you can get 800 tone out of a fender deluxe reverb that’s one thing, but we are talking about two similar amps from the same model line. They can definitely sound very similar. You can get good 800 tones out of many “Marshall in a box” style pedals , never mind a jubilee
FFS, "Does 800 and plexi tones with ease" sure sounds like you're saying they sound "the same" to me. They do not, completely different preamp circuits. Sorry, but I've had all 3 amps, and the Jubilee just does not do "JCM 800 and Plexi tones with ease". If it does, in your opinion, then that's fine. Like I said before, your opinion...

Last edited:

Jubilee23

Reaction score
FFS, "Does 800 and plexi tones with ease" sure sounds like you're saying they sound "the same" to me. They do not, completely different preamp circuits. Sorry, but I've had all 3 amps, and the Jubilee just does not do "JCM 800 and Plexi tones with ease". If it does, in your opinion, then that's fine. Like I said before, your opinion...

FFS, Maybe you couldn’t hear the tones too well in your bedroom?

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
The cranked and/or boosted plexi sound and the 2203 master volume sound are not night and day different. Those are the two Marshall amp designs that sound the most alike in practice.

Gotta agree, very close, tonally, especially when using the Plexi upper left input (no jumping). Bring in the Normal channel with some different jumping configurations, and things get a bit more interesting.

Jubilee23

Reaction score
Ah, another snotty nosed noob, gotta love it. A nice feature this forum is the "ignore" button, engaging..... Buh bye.

“Snotty nosed noob” lol!! I love the intelligence & class ....read the posts ... your the one who got your mommy’s pink panties in a twist.... “buh bye”

Lespaul48

Reaction score
I had bought a SC20H the very first day it was released. Had it a day and sent it back for the mini Jubilee. Best move I could have made. SC20 just seemed like it was missing something. Plus the EQ on the mini Jube is so much more versatile. Then about two weeks later I found a 1987 Marshall 2x12 25th Anniversary Silver Jubilee cabinet all original in mint condition for an outstanding price. I don't think the seller really new what they had. It was a big chain store so I really didn't feel bad not telling them. I felt they should have known.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

I’ve always thought this, to my ears yes, they can be made to sound fairly similar. In a live band setting, (bass, drums, keys etc. ), with volumes up, I don’t know how many would be able to hear a distinct difference in tone.

I would imagine this also holds true for other Marshall amps too, but these two Marshalls are iconic amps that have a similar circuit, from a similar era, and I think because of that comparisons are made.

Oh, as far as the Jubilee is concerned, to my ears it has a rather distinct tone virtually all it’s own, a darker tone that for some is not optimal

Just my opinion.

ChuggyMcBr00tlz

Reaction score
Honestly these small heads still have a big sound.... just less headroom. Through a 4x12 id imagine you will get a decent amount of low end.

I agree with a lot of these guys about the 2525h Jubilee head, It can do 800 and Plexi tones as mentioned above and its EQ control is very broad and responsive.

The Jubilee is like a refined evolution based on the 2203