School Me on Marshall

• Thread starter Shane Stevenson
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Harold Smith

Reaction score
I use a Marshall Power Break or THD Hot Plate to turn down my speakers after the power amp section on my '72, 100 watt, 1959 Super Lead Marshall and that works for me.

Richard pierce

Reaction score
It all started with the JTM45. After that, the MKII came along. They had 4 inputs and no master volume. They were high gain amps, but you had to crank them. Everyone from Hendrix to Van Halen used them. Starting around '76 (I think) they started making a MKII head with 2 inputs and a master volume. I have a '78, and it's amazing. While it's true that the amp has its roots in the '59 Bassman, both amps can be traced back to the design of a field amp used by the British military during WWII. You know, for like........"IN COMING!!!"

wangchung

Reaction score
I have spent many hours rolling tubes in the afore mentioned amps. It's really quite amazing how you can tweak the tonal characteristics of both the preamp and output sections and their contribution to the overall sound. Back in the day, spec's were adhered to as best as could be.
Things were more or less consistent and predictable. Not so now. If you can hear the difference between a long plate and short plate 12AX7, and/or Russian vs Sino production power tubes, there's a whole new rabbit-hole of output bias and 12AX7 combinations available with the stuff being made
today.

Marshall4Metal

Reaction score
There's nothing like a made in England JCM. I've had four really quality tube amps. A Peavey 6505 made in USA. A Mesa Dual Rectifier . A Laney GH100L . And Finally A JCM 900 Reissue Made in England. I can tell you that out of those four amps the Marshall just flat sounds better. There's something about Marshalls dist and lead tone that just sounds better than the other 3 amps to me anyway.

Last edited:

end user

Reaction score
I love the part of the effect pedals being left out , as you said transistors sound like s#$% to me

Yeah but everything is subjective. I like the sound of power tubes just barely breaking up but anything after that I want tight gain.. An amp going into power tube meltdown to me sounds terrible. Like it's vomiting on itself.

LOM13

Reaction score
First time posting, long time lurker, first of all thank you all for all the info I've obtained here, and without having to ask a question, the reason I'm posting is to say what an awesome thread this is, Ken, THANK YOU!

tce63

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
First time posting, long time lurker, first of all thank you all for all the info I've obtained here, and without having to ask a question, the reason I'm posting is to say what an awesome thread this is, Ken, THANK YOU!

:welcome: to the forum

Cheers :cheers:

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love Marshall for the sound/feel. Vintage. I love the battle. Some will know what I mean.

I only like certain circuits.

I cringe at techs that feel entitled to a certain status that others bow a knee too. Cause I don't let others control or dictate any information that grows the rest. And there are a few here. Easy to see. Old and young. Pompous and arrogant. Steer clear of me.

Most of all? I love to romp a Marshall. Unadulterated! Proud of those that made it happen. Thank you. Therapy for me.

Petrichor

Reaction score

Ditto to all that. I’m brand new here and really impressed at the level of expertise and knowledge on display. Thanks!

Chrome

Firebird Freak
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
although in regards to Marshall experience I consider myself very green. at the rightful young age of 57. I gig a lot. it has taken me years to realize both in wisdom and financially. Vintage Marshall amps is where I lay my head. In my young days, there were friends (guys who played guitar great I wanted to be friends with) who played Marshall stacks and they were fucking incredible. but life choices, child support and such always got in my way. eventually two marriages later and kids grown, I bought my first Marshall. it was a a Valvestate 2000. I was in absolute heaven (given the only amps I had ever owned before were the very small Crate amps and other off brand amps). I played that amp into the ground. sadly for about 15 years I gave up playing because of the typical stuff, whiny musicians, drug addicts, alcoholics and such-babysitting just wasn't my thing. 5 years ago I got back into it. I bought a 1979 PV Mace half stack and it sounded fantastic, but didn't satisfy. then I finally saved up, and purchased a 1976 JMP 1987 (to my my Holy Grail amp). nothing I ever played ever sounded so good. It became evident I couldn't play it at every gig due to stage size, so I bought a DSL 40C for smaller venues, then a vintage 9100 series Marshall pre-amp for back up on stage. then a DSL 100 HR, then my most recent purchase a 1978 JMP 2204 (now my Holy Grail amp). so to the OP it is an incurable disease once you start down that road, be sure to have room for what's to come. I'm still green, but it's not from a lack of options LMAO.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
although in regards to Marshall experience I consider myself very green. at the rightful young age of 57. I gig a lot. it has taken me years to realize both in wisdom and financially. Vintage Marshall amps is where I lay my head. In my young days, there were friends (guys who played guitar great I wanted to be friends with) who played Marshall stacks and they were fucking incredible. but life choices, child support and such always got in my way. eventually two marriages later and kids grown, I bought my first Marshall. it was a a Valvestate 2000. I was in absolute heaven (given the only amps I had ever owned before were the very small Crate amps and other off brand amps). I played that amp into the ground. sadly for about 15 years I gave up playing because of the typical stuff, whiny musicians, drug addicts, alcoholics and such-babysitting just wasn't my thing. 5 years ago I got back into it. I bought a 1979 PV Mace half stack and it sounded fantastic, but didn't satisfy. then I finally saved up, and purchased a 1976 JMP 1987 (to my my Holy Grail amp). nothing I ever played ever sounded so good. It became evident I couldn't play it at every gig due to stage size, so I bought a DSL 40C for smaller venues, then a vintage 9100 series Marshall pre-amp for back up on stage. then a DSL 100 HR, then my most recent purchase a 1978 JMP 2204 (now my Holy Grail amp). so to the OP it is an incurable disease once you start down that road, be sure to have room for what's to come. I'm still green, but it's not from a lack of options LMAO.

Fuck. I loved reading this.

MarshallDog

Reaction score

Nothing IMO sounds as good or better then those JMPs!

Chrome

Firebird Freak
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing IMO sounds as good or better then those JMPs!

that is a fact. I play out quite a bit, and have friends all over (fellow musicians) and nothing I have heard anyone play comes close to the amps I play on stage (biased? maybe? but I don't think so). I do have a close friend he plays through a 1987X and it is very comparable. sometimes we do shows together and I can see the envy in his face when we are playing side by side lol. he is probably the only guy I would ever let borrow my rig if he needed to.