• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Seventy 80, your favourite speaker, .... anyone ?

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
My "pulled" speakers are in the Celestion boxes that came with their replacements. I hang on to them to reinstall if I get the opportunity to trade up for something better. Currently storing a G12B-150 and a Gold Back SPK65.

KraftyBob

Reaction score
I've been under the impression that the G12P80 is basically the same speaker as the seventy eighty. And I've got two Hartke cabinets that were loaded with them. One still is. The other has Greenback reissues in it now.

I find that these G12P80s are a really good match for a Fender amp, but for a Marshall, I'd just rather not.

My Marshall cabinets have G12T75s and those are fine, I have no complaints. They have more highs than the Greenback reissues, but with a tweak of the treble control, I hardly notice the difference.
The G12P80 is the Seventy 80. I had the same Hartke cab and sent an email to Celestion asking them. Dr. Decibel confirmed they are one in the same.

For the price of the cab I thought it was built pretty good - plywood construction, etc.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
I bought both the Hartke GH412A and GH412B cabinets specifically because they were cheap and made of plywood construction very similar to that of Marshall 1960 cabinets. I paid only 100 dollars per cabinet.

When I get around to it I'm going to strip the covering, make a few modifications, and convert them to be cosmetically the same (or very close) as the Marshall 1960s. New tolex, proper cup handles, all the right fittings. New grill cloth, too. This time I may stick with basic black but the idea of a second purple levant stack does have its appeal.

DonP

Reaction score
i think it really depends on the amp.

i got the monoprice 15 and was not happy with the seventy/80 sound so i replaced the speaker. i later picked up a peavey bandit on the cheap with a fried speaker so i threw the seventy/80 into it and it sounded good. it was very similar to the sheffield it replaced.
And I am the polar opposite. I have the Monoprice 15 as well and think it sounds great stock. I'm going for very early Iron Maiden tones. When I use a Classic Vibe strat with the stock tonerider pickups, it's almost there. When I hit it with a little more with an MXR Distortion III, I'm there. Think Phantom of the Opera.

paul hancher

Reaction score
And I am the polar opposite. I have the Monoprice 15 as well and think it sounds great stock. I'm going for very early Iron Maiden tones. When I use a Classic Vibe strat with the stock tonerider pickups, it's almost there. When I hit it with a little more with an MXR Distortion III, I'm there. Think Phantom of the Opera.
i get where you’re coming from. i was looking to go more in a fender direction so i got a new jensen p12r. gives it a bit of fender chime and also a less efficient, so it tamed the volume slightly which helped. i got a boss od-1 which sounds good giving it some boost.

Matt_Krush

Reaction score
I have a theory about the 7080. They are cheap. Really cheap. So why does Marshall use them? Because they sound very good at music store volumes. Most people don’t crank amps at the store, so it sells amps to choose a speaker that sounds good at low volumes AND it’s cheap so it saves Marshall money.

Lets face it, most amps that are sold in a retail environment are demo’d at low volumes. Build an amp and speaker to sound good in the store and you sell the amp.

the 7080 is NOT the worst Celestion I ever heard, not even close, until you crank it. Then it’s in the bottom 2 in my opinion. The G12M-70 is the worst I’ve ever heard.

Sorry, not trying to bag on anyone’s favorite speaker, but for my uses (gigging in bars) it’s not good. If I was using them at home practice levels, it’s fine.

PS: if anybody needs one, I’ll happily trade it for any other Celestion that’s not a g12m-70

I'll see your Seventy-80 & G12M-70 and raise you by the Rocket 50.
Commonly found in Crate and other lower class cabs with the Celestion Equipped badges.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
I put them in silverface Fender amps that I pick up from time to time when their original speakers are gone. (And usually replaced by 12" Pyle woofers, or so it seems.) 70/80s sound good in a Fender.

BftGibson

Reaction score
I'll see your Seventy-80 & G12M-70 and raise you by the Rocket 50.
Commonly found in Crate and other lower class cabs with the Celestion Equipped badges.
might have to toss one of the 4 peavey speakers i took out of the 5150 cab into the kitty(some like em,i just couldn't find a way to work around the blanket like effect)

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last year I purchased a Marshall MX112 speaker cab, it came with a 70/80 speaker. At first I was using it with my newly purchased Dsl1hr. It sounded very bright and shrill, and the volume balance between the two channels was way off. I kept it for a while to let it break in, but it really didn't get much better. Of course with a one watt amp it might take forever to break in, or maybe never. But my patience ran out and I bought a G12M-65 Creamback and never looked back.

So now I've been playing that cab with my SC20 head and man that's the ticket I've been looking for!!

Rusty Strings

Reaction score
I’d love to sell one but they are such sh!t that I can’t cover my time. I doubt the sell used near mint for even $25
I was getting an offer with £10. I have 1 listed for £25 and 2 for £40. Those who got in touch changed their mind. I guess if they dont sell in a month or two, I will go down to 1 for £20 and 2 for £30 and if nothing happens, I will have to list them as 1 for £10 and 2 for £15 . Ridiculous :confused: they are mint and nobody is buying :mad: .

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
As Micky said closed back . I had one in the 40c and it didn’t cut it but I played a Blackstar 4x 12 closed back , it was much better.
On that note I just order what might no be the best or worst budget speaker , a Celestion super 65. Should be here Friday I hope. $40 at zzound shipped.

Trapland

Punk, classic, funk, jazz and everything else.
Reaction score
I bought the Studio Vintage 1x12 Cabinet for $699! A seven hundred dollar 1x12 and it came with a freaking 70/80! I wanted that cabinet pretty bad, and I figure they’ll be rare some day because nobody would be stupid enough to spend that kind of money for a 1x12 with the sh!ttiest Celestion ever. Except me.

Nice box, I like it. Looks good in the livingroom with the head and a es335. And since I play that one at quieter levels, a change to a creamback was just the ticket.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
I bought the Studio Vintage 1x12 Cabinet for $699! A seven hundred dollar 1x12 and it came with a freaking 70/80! I wanted that cabinet pretty bad, and I figure they’ll be rare some day because nobody would be stupid enough to spend that kind of money for a 1x12 with the sh!ttiest Celestion ever. Except me.

Nice box, I like it. Looks good in the livingroom with the head and a es335. And since I play that one at quieter levels, a change to a creamback was just the ticket.
they claim to come w/ a V-Type...

NoelH

Reaction score
Personally don't care for them. My experience is the same as Antmax. It's as if they're a 'budget' G12-75T. When used with overdrive, they seem to exhibit a nattyness in the treble and upper-mids.
For the money, there are MUCH better choices. Emi Governor, some of the WGS stuff (I like the Retro 30), and of course used Celestions. Used V30's (which I have grown to like after years of avoiding), or a new favorite of mine, the V-Type. There are so many speaker choices these days.