Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates Pickups

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
A friend has a pair that are up for grabs, any opinion on these? From what I read they are low gain paf style, A2 magnet, described to have alot of mids but on the SD website the EQ curve shows the mids low and scooped. Trying to decide if they are worth the bother, I'm normally a Gibson humbucker guy. Was thinking of getting an HH pickguard for my Strat to try them in. They are white uncovered pickups and would look good in my white Strat.

Adieu

Reaction score
The regular Duncan version or the for-Fender (Pearly Gates Plus iirc) special version?

BanditPanda

Reaction score
Hi Pedecamp. I have 2 pairs of those pups of the Antiquity and the Pearly Gates. They are considered, I believe, to be a high end Duncan model. Of course as you know, designed after Billy Gibbons pup in his LP of the same name. I never did get that ZZ sound out of them though. I placed the Antiquity in a 335 clone ( I didn't like them in the LP and got the Pearlys for the LP.) Very happy with both
That's all I got.
BP
Here: https://www.seymourduncan.com/single-product/pearly-gates?
p.s. If they are going at a good price you could get 'em, try 'em out and have no trouble re selling.

Last edited:

TXOldRedRocker

Classic Rock or die! -- Patrick Henry
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a little hotter than a "standard" PAF. Still PAF range, not medium output PUPs. I had some in a Gold Top I sold two weeks ago. Pearly Gates remind me of 57 Classics. Both A2 magnets. Can get to a bit of grit a little sooner than more mild PAF's. I liked them a lot. I just needed to sell that Gold Top, as I replaced it with a different Gold Top. But I'd get some again in a heartbeat.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Hi Pedecamp. I have 2 pairs of those pups of the Antiquity and the Pearly Gates. They are considered, I believe, to be a high end Duncan model. Of course as you know, designed after Billy Gibbons pup in his LP of the same name. I never did get that ZZ sound out of them though. I placed the Antiquity in a 335 clone ( I didn't like them in the LP and got the Pearlys for the LP.) Very happy with both
That's all I got.
BP
p.s. If they are going at a good price you could get 'em, try 'em out and have no trouble re selling.
They are being gifted to me, but didnt want to take them if I didnt think they were right. :yesway:

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Just a little hotter than a "standard" PAF. Still PAF range, not medium output PUPs. I had some in a Gold Top I sold two weeks ago. Pearly Gates remind me of 57 Classics. Both A2 magnets. Can get to a bit of grit a little sooner than more mild PAF's. I liked them a lot. I just needed to sell that Gold Top, as I replaced it with a different Gold Top. But I'd get some again in a heartbeat.
Im a big fan of 57C and 57C+ if these are in that ballpark I should be very happy with them! :yesway:

gregr

Reaction score
Duncan EQ graphs and specs are pretty useless. I take issue with how some are categorized as well.

The PG set may or may not work for you but they are absolutely worth the bother if you were going to try them is a Les Paul. Maybe a Strat, but I’m not as enthusiastic about it, personally. Stuffing an A5 magnet in there turns it into a PG+ and would raise my level of enthusiasm, again, personally speaking.

Last edited:

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I wonder how they sound with coil splitting. Was thinking of building an HH pickguard with S-1 switching, or maybe even an HHS pickguard.

gregr

Reaction score
I don’t like the sound of a split humbucker, though some sound better than others. The PG split in the neck position isn’t too bad which is surprising since it’s low output.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
That's all I got.
BP

bout dang time you decide to rejoin us Mr.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
played these pups but never got to put them through their full paces. depending on
the price i might pick them up just cause. they get rave reviews bro.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
In the right guitar they sound great but they are bright pickups. Brightest Duncan I’ve tried and I’ve tried most of em.
Maybe with 250k pots they wont be so bright. I'll start with 500k pots the pickupe are coming with and see how they sound first.

Last edited:

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Much MUCH love for the Pearly Gates pups!

I have one in my MOST used 96' Fender Lonestar HSS Strat. The way that pickup sounds through my Marshalls is incredible. Very warm, a bit scooped but still has some good bite to it. A really nice balanced pup.
You have the stock 250k pots in your Strat?

Neptical

Reaction score
@pedecamp Let me add that some months back I purchased an '11 FSR HSS maple neck Strat. The shop that sold it to me told me it had been loaded with a DiMarzio 'bucker but they weren't sure which one. I really believe it's a Super Distortion in there. Good lord - it's such a CLOSE match with the Pearly Gates pup but a hair more creaminess and clarity to it. It's such a hard toss up. The snappiness of a maple neck Strat sounds so beautiful that I feel they could just take ANY pup and I would dial it in and be happy.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
@pedecamp Let me add that some months back I purchased an '11 FSR HSS maple neck Strat. The shop that sold it to me told me it had been loaded with a DiMarzio 'bucker but they weren't sure which one. I really believe it's a Super Distortion in there. Good lord - it's such a CLOSE match with the Pearly Gates pup but a hair more creaminess and clarity to it. It's such a hard toss up. The snappiness of a maple neck Strat sounds so beautiful that I feel they could just take ANY pup and I would dial it in and be happy.
My Strat sounds terrible no matter what I put in it so I thought this would be a good opportunity to scrap everything in it and build it up from scratch.

Latest posts