Trade offer, what are your thoughts?

• Thread starter DJGranite
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rokinroller

Reaction score
I've come across a few Strats that were real lemons , and priced too high . So , I would check it out real good first ... only IF I was going for the trade . I'd say the Greco is a nicer , higher value guitar .

El Gringo

Reaction score
I'd do the trade in a heartbeat.

1. You have other LP's
2. You admit you don't play this guitar
3. Those MicroCoils are kickass, IMHO.
4. Strats are pretty easy to move - name brand recognition vs. Greco (which I think are fine guitars, but a lot of folks just don't know it)

The Wilde MicroCoils were the last pickups ever designed by the late great & legendary Bill Lawrence as his parting gift to single coil lovers. While not noiseless, they have a very low noise floor while remaining true single coils. Some say they are too high-fi for their tastes, but I say they are very articulate.

And that's my :2c:

Good luck with whatever decision you make.
+1 I would do it in a heartbeat for the exact reasons you mentioned as you saved me from typing that out for which I thank You Kindly !

joe_cpwe

Reaction score
I lean towards doing the trade. They are fairly equal in $ value.

- You already know you want to move the Greco.
That Strat, you may like and then choose to get rid of one you currently have.
- Or you can sell the Lonestar. Not sure what a realistic price for that Lonestar would be.
- If you are open to trades, to right person, you might get an interesting trade offer down the road for the Greco because its more unique.

BTW, whats the $ ask on the Greco.

Goodguy

Reaction score
The fact you are asking here (as opposed to already having traded), says it all IMO.
You're unsure of the strat so I would pass on it.
Life is too short for guitars we "sorta" care about - sell the Greco & save the cash toward something your'e sure about.
Also, you said your'e "downsizing"... trading isn't downsizing.
Sounds like you're stuck in the pattern of gassing for gear.. gotta break that with some will power and perspective toward conserving cash, narrowing your collection to a couple nice guitars (i.e. Gibson not Greco) that real are keepers.
Unfortunately, "downsizing" requires you to give up the mindset/hobby of always buying, selling, trading gear - decide if that what you really want to do before trading instead of actually downsizing.
Frankly, I was caught in the ongoing hamster wheel of buying, trading, fixing, selling, etc. it became a distraction to what was really important in life. I'm in the process of selling all but a couple really nice guitars and amps.
Don't get me wrong, guitar is a great hobby but can also skew our priorities and cause us to avoid other more important aspects of life.
Not saying cut out the fun of gear/playing altogether but for me at least, I had to mentally break away from the money & time waster that was gear addiction because it truly was taking me away from higher priorities in life.
Unfortunately, most of people on the guitar/amp forums are all suffering from the same sorta addiction and 99% of posts will encourage you to keep buying/trading even though it may not be the best thing for you.
Spending an inordinate amount of time/energy/money on a "hobby" will have you end up looking so so many of those divorced, shaggy, crazy looking old dudes making guitar youtube videos from their dirty dark bedroom.
I truly now believe that addictions/hobbies can be damaging to relationships, finances, health if not kept in proper perspective (not unlike drugs/alcohol).

Last edited:

Crikey

Reaction score
Since you did ask for our thoughts....

In my case he would have to sweeten the deal with some cash before I'd take the Strat.

I can spec out a great Partscaster in about five min.s.
Not so much in the case of the L.P.

Just keep thinking the L.P. is just dollar for dollar, a more valuable guitar than a run of the mill Strat.

But pay no attention to me, I'm sure you are already leaning one way or another.

Good luck.........
Spec me a great parts caster please
I m looking to build tele and strat

DJGranite

Reaction score
I'd keep the LP, but only because to me it is a cooler guitar than that Strat is. Both are nice guitars though!
The Greco is a beauty, but I really dont play it. When I'm feeling that type of guitar I pull out my 1993 LPC... I also have Strats that haven't been played in years, very nice Strats, but no Lonestar's
I'd do the trade in a heartbeat.

1. You have other LP's
2. You admit you don't play this guitar
3. Those MicroCoils are kickass, IMHO.
4. Strats are pretty easy to move - name brand recognition vs. Greco (which I think are fine guitars, but a lot of folks just don't know it)

The Wilde MicroCoils were the last pickups ever designed by the late great & legendary Bill Lawrence as his parting gift to single coil lovers. While not noiseless, they have a very low noise floor while remaining true single coils. Some say they are too high-fi for their tastes, but I say they are very articulate.

And that's my :2c:

Good luck with whatever decision you make.
These are the reasons I am considering the trade, I'm curious about the BL Microcoils, plus the original loaded guard is included
You did say youre trying to downsize your guitar collection, pass...
The downsizing will continue regardless of this potential trade. I figure I'm going to sell 30 or so guitars.
The GRECO wins for cool factor. It also wins for the rare factor (at least in the US) Try to find another easily.

Lonestar strats are just another entry level (price wise) MIA Fender with some "cool parts" over a run of the mill American standard or such. They've had several different versions of this type guitar over the years, with each getting slight upgrades over time. That one has the old american standard style trem which is no where equal to today's 2 point Fender bridges (and look how teeny the trem block is). My made in Mexico Kenny Wayne Shepherd strat from 10 years ago has/had better hardware.

A PG+ and TX specials are nothing special (npi) in the world of pickups. It's a Pearly gates trembucker spaced (thus the slightly higher DCR ratings) with a swapped A5 magnet. Don't get me wrong, those and TX specials are decent pickups, but...Probably a reason he swapped everything out. I'm not familiar with the other pickups.

I wouldn't make that trade, unless that is a strat that resonates, plays and sounds totally righteous (which is not easy to find).

IMO of course- it's your wallet and collection.
Some valid points to consider. Thanks
It's an equitable trade. The Greco is every bit as good as a LP. You'd do well to keep it or trade it. Personally, I'd keep the Greco.
Thanks. I agree that the Greco is an excellent guitar
hum....... you have plenty of each guitar type it seems.
Greco's are nice and your trading just to really get the pups in the strat.
i might set on the trade to see if anything really interesting pops up.
Well I have a few days to think about it, which also gives time for more offers to come in.
I bet the pickups are worth a few hundred.
But if you are down sizing I would hold out for cash. Are the Greco’s going for about $1000 ?
Which ones?
The BL Microcoils are about $150, plus pots, switch and wiring and pickguard.
The SD and TS are around $200 plus pots etc.
Still going to downsize, plenty to sell.
Both are in the $1000 neighborhood
Well I tell you what! @DJGranite is learning a lot about those pickups! :D
Unfortunately stuff I know, what I don't know is the Microcoil pickups:cool:
Since you did ask for our thoughts....

In my case he would have to sweeten the deal with some cash before I'd take the Strat.

I can spec out a great Partscaster in about five min.s.
Not so much in the case of the L.P.

Just keep thinking the L.P. is just dollar for dollar, a more valuable guitar than a run of the mill Strat.

But pay no attention to me, I'm sure you are already leaning one way or another.

Good luck.........
Well, I'm on the fence...
He is sweetening the deal by adding the original loaded guard.
The sold prices are very similar.
The LP is a great guitar, the Lonestar may be as well, I still have to check it out.
I had a 1977 Greco EX800 mint condition. I should have never sold that guitar. Action so low. Played so well. I’d keep the Greco and sell a different LP
The thought had crossed my mind
Sell the copy guitar. Apologies to the offended
see above ^^^
I've come across a few Strats that were real lemons , and priced too high . So , I would check it out real good first ... only IF I was going for the trade . I'd say the Greco is a nicer , higher value guitar .
No deal will be done without an in person inspection/trial!
Real prices are similar
+1 I would do it in a heartbeat for the exact reasons you mentioned as you saved me from typing that out for which I thank You Kindly !
Thanks, my reply is with the post you quoted above
I lean towards doing the trade. They are fairly equal in $ value.

- You already know you want to move the Greco.
That Strat, you may like and then choose to get rid of one you currently have.
- Or you can sell the Lonestar. Not sure what a realistic price for that Lonestar would be.
- If you are open to trades, to right person, you might get an interesting trade offer down the road for the Greco because its more unique.

BTW, whats the $ ask on the Greco.
All good thoughts I've been thinking about.
I have the Greco listed at $1100
The fact you are asking here (as opposed to already having traded), says it all IMO.
Life is too short for guitars we "sorta" care about - sell the Greco & save the cash toward something your'e sure about.
Sounds like you're stuck in the pattern of gassing for gear.. gotta break that with some will power and perspective toward conserving cash, narrowing your collection to a couple nice guitars (i.e. Gibson not Greco) that real are keepers.
Unfortunately, "downsizing" requires you to give up the mindset/hobby of always buying, selling, trading gear - decide if that what you really want to do before trading instead of actually downsizing.
Frankly, I was caught in the ongoing hamster wheel of buying, trading, fixing, selling, etc. it became a distraction to what was really important in life. I'm in the process of selling all but a couple really nice guitars and amps.
Don't get me wrong, guitar is a great hobby but can also skew our priorities and cause us to avoid other more important aspects of life.
Not saying cut out the fun of gear/playing altogether but for me at least, I had to mentally break away from the money & time waster that was gear addiction because it truly was taking me away from higher priorities in life.
Unfortunately, most of people on the guitar/amp forums are all suffering from the same sorta addiction and 99% of posts will encourage you to keep buying/trading even though it may not be the best thing for you.
Spending an inordinate amount of time/energy/money on a "hobby" will have you end up looking so so many of those divorced, shaggy, crazy looking old dudes making guitar youtube videos from their dirty dark bedroom.
I truly now believe that addictions/hobbies can be damaging to relationships, finances, health if not kept in proper perspective (not unlike drugs/alcohol).
I prefer think of this trade as potentially moving sideways as to value, but I'm thinking if I dont love it, the Fender most likely would sell quicker.
I'm sorry you had a difficult time with GAS.

You dont need it and you are down sizing so dont be tempted and hold out for cash!
True, and true.
But it might be the perfect Strat and I don't need the cash...
:cool:

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
The Greco is a beauty, but I really dont play it. When I'm feeling that type of guitar I pull out my 1993 LPC... I also have Strats that haven't been played in years, very nice Strats, but no Lonestar's

These are the reasons I am considering the trade, I'm curious about the BL Microcoils, plus the original loaded guard is included

The downsizing will continue regardless of this potential trade. I figure I'm going to sell 30 or so guitars.

Some valid points to consider. Thanks

Thanks. I agree that the Greco is an excellent guitar

Well I have a few days to think about it, which also gives time for more offers to come in.

Which ones?
The BL Microcoils are about $150, plus pots, switch and wiring and pickguard.
The SD and TS are around $200 plus pots etc.
Still going to downsize, plenty to sell.
Both are in the $1000 neighborhood

Unfortunately stuff I know, what I don't know is the Microcoil pickups:cool:

Well, I'm on the fence...
He is sweetening the deal by adding the original loaded guard.
The sold prices are very similar.
The LP is a great guitar, the Lonestar may be as well, I still have to check it out.

The thought had crossed my mind

see above ^^^

No deal will be done without an in person inspection/trial!
Real prices are similar

Thanks, my reply is with the post you quoted above

All good thoughts I've been thinking about.
I have the Greco listed at $1100

I prefer think of this trade as potentially moving sideways as to value, but I'm thinking if I dont love it, the Fender most likely would sell quicker.
I'm sorry you had a difficult time with GAS.

True, and true.
But it might be the perfect Strat and I don't need the cash...
:cool:
this is my vote for the biggest and most quotes post reply ever in the history of the MF.

DJGranite

Reaction score
this is my vote for the biggest and most quotes post reply ever in the history of the MF.
Well, if I start a thread, asking a question, I feel anybody who takes the time to post an answer in the thread should know that I took the time to read their reply and my thoughts on it. That I appreciate their input.
About as close to a conversation as I know how to have online.
:coffee:

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
Well, if I start a thread, asking a question, I feel anybody who takes the time to post an answer in the thread should know that I took the time to read their reply and my thoughts on it. That I appreciate their input.
About as close to a conversation as I know how to have online.
:coffee:
whatever works bro. i found it impressive actually.

cccc

Reaction score
Yeah, it's not an easy decision.
I have 10 Les Pauls, 5 of them Gibson, that's why I put the Greco up for sale.
I also have 9 Strats...
But the Greco is going, question is wait for cash, or make the trade.
Strats sell well generally if I don't like it.
But then...
So that's why I ask lol

Dang man , I have a single guitar and a single amp and it's not by choice lol.

I have heard the Greco guitars are very good and I recently saw a guy playing an older Greco destroyer who many say is just as good as the old Ibanez Destroyer .

Wish those guitars were still being made I love them.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
hey @fitz288 , i have a graduate. :agreed: :applause:

El Gringo

Reaction score
Wow, very profound !

jamvu

Reaction score
I know this is an amp forum, but amps are useless without guitars, right?
So I have a guitar question for you all.

Well I recently made a decision to try and downsize my guitar collection.
I've sold a few in the past couple of months so I've made a start.
I currently have my 1987 Greco EGC68-50 Mint Collection up for sale, it has Gibson Burstbuckers, 2 & 3 pickups...
View attachment 105533View attachment 555055
It's a great playing and sounding guitar but I have several Gibson Les Pauls and this hasn't been played in a few years since I picked up my 93 LPC.

I've been offered a 1996 MIA Lonestar Strat loaded with Bill Lawrence Wilde microcoil pickups. The original Loaded pickguard with the Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates HB and the Texas Special pickups is included.
It is at a well respected local luthiers for a cleaning/onceover/setup at the moment.
View attachment 555060View attachment 555059View attachment 555056View attachment 555057View attachment 105535View attachment 105536View attachment 105537
So what do you think?
Good deal?
Bad deal?
I do have a bunch of Strats, but no Lonestars, none with a PG or TS PUs, none with BL Microcoils. Any experience with the Microcoil PUs?
I like the Shoreline Gold color.
Which do you think would sell quicker if I didn't like the Lonestar?
What would you do?
Why?
Love the color of the strat....since you rarely use the Greco and you have the real thing in Gibson Les Pauls....this is a no brainer for me. Ditch the Greco and take the strat. You will have a much easier time unloading the strat in my opinion.

I am a Gibson guy first and foremost but everyone could use a strat in the stable.

Jamvu

Latest posts