Should I build a 5E3 Deluxe or an AA764 Vibro-Champ as my first build?

• Thread starter DesolationBlvd
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DesolationBlvd

Reaction score
I now have an unused 1x15 open back cabinet and DIY GAS, and want to build an amp head to solve both. (Putting it here since they're not Marshall designs).

If I'm building a Champ, I'd at least like the blackface tone stack and ideally the bias wiggle tremolo, so the AA764. I tried a 5F1 Champ in a store and wasn't a fan. I used to have a silverface Vibro-Champ, and wonder how it'd sound with a speaker almost twice the size. If a tremolo circuit is too intricate for a beginner, is it that hard to add it later?

Alternatively, I tried a 5E3 in a store and enjoyed the raw sound of the distortion. If that would be easier, I'll do that instead. Instead of the four inputs, I'd have one input, then a toggle, then plug the two remaining inputs. Maybe I'll do the Tweedle Dee mod later and add the phase inverter balance, maybe I'll add a pre-phase inverter master volume to allow me to tame the cathodyne phase inverter distortion, I don't know.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I now have an unused 1x15 open back cabinet and DIY GAS, and want to build an amp head to solve both. (Putting it here since they're not Marshall designs).

If I'm building a Champ, I'd at least like the blackface tone stack and ideally the bias wiggle tremolo, so the AA764. I tried a 5F1 Champ in a store and wasn't a fan. I used to have a silverface Vibro-Champ, and wonder how it'd sound with a speaker almost twice the size. If a tremolo circuit is too intricate for a beginner, is it that hard to add it later?

Alternatively, I tried a 5E3 in a store and enjoyed the raw sound of the distortion. If that would be easier, I'll do that instead. Instead of the four inputs, I'd have one input, then a toggle, then plug the two remaining inputs. Maybe I'll do the Tweedle Dee mod later and add the phase inverter balance, maybe I'll add a pre-phase inverter master volume to allow me to tame the cathodyne phase inverter distortion, I don't know.
There was a recent thread around here saying the 5E3 is the best amp to build for a first build and they sound really good. It got me very interested in the 5E3 kit...

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
the 5E3 is prolly the most popular first build and most suggested ive read about too.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
I watched some videos and it sounds pretty frikkin cool! :yesway:

one of the fender forums i use to be on had a ton of builders on it.
i yhink i might have been the only one that wasnt actually.
this kit was talked about so much and highly suggested for a first
build. they said for a newbie, it was the easiest kit to build and the
one you will learn the most on as a newbie. they said if you make
a mistake its easy to track down with these and are the very basics
of amp building.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
one of the fender forums i use to be on had a ton of builders on it.
i yhink i might have been the only one that wasnt actually.
this kit was talked about so much and highly suggested for a first
build. they said for a newbie, it was the easiest kit to build and the
one you will learn the most on as a newbie. they said if you make
a mistake its easy to track down with these and are the very basics
of amp building.
And with the 4 inputs its like a Fender plexi, you know its gonna sound good! Kits in general are so expensive though, the only thing stopping me from possibly building one.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
And with the 4 inputs its like a Fender plexi, you know its gonna sound good! Kits in general are so expensive though, the only thing stopping me from possibly building one.

depends on the kit. ebay has them for around $300 box/speaker not included.
i wanted to do one too but i know me, if something goes wrong and i cant figure it
out, the whole kit will fly arcoss the room lol.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
depends on the kit. ebay has them for around $300 box/speaker not included.
i wanted to do one too but i know me, if something goes wrong and i cant figure it
out, the whole kit will fly arcoss the room lol.
$300 I dont think it comes with transformers at that price or tubes or chassis, so then it becomes $700

DesolationBlvd

Reaction score
Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

DesolationBlvd

Reaction score
The next time eBay Bonus Bucks rolled around, Boot Hill Amps was sold out of the 5E3 kit. With the future of tubes being uncertain, I think I'll just sell my unused cabinet.

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
Too bad the BootHill is sold out, as they are highly regarded and provide a turret board. The other linked fleabay also provides a turret board, but I have no clue as to what brands/qualities of parts are used! MojoTone sells a great kit, but nearly double the price of either of the fleabay ones. I vastly prefer turrets, for multiple reasons.

And FWIW, I think the 5E3 would get much more play time than a VibroChamp, even jamming with a drummer and bass, whereas the Champ might be just a tad wimpy for the task! Although, while the VibroChamp may be a bit lacking in volume/power, it is certainly capable of TONEZ!

And yeah, similar TONEZ (and more) are certainly available with a 5E3, though it will be considerably louder.

Just Tweedlin'
Gene

Last edited: