Should I buy the JCM1?

• Thread starter Machine Head
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Machine Head

Reaction score
Hi all

I'm very tempted to buy the JCM1 (and will probably get it in the end).

But a voice inside tells me that I'm covered for those type of sounds having the JVM1 and AFD100 already. Therefore I'd like to ask an opinion to those who have these amps or had experience with. Do you think that there's a significant (not just a subtle) difference between the adjustable sounds of the JCM1 and the other two amps?

Further the JCM1 has also the boost option that enables the 25th Jubilee sound. Do I find/have this sound covered in the mentioned amps?

The AFD100 is so amazing and I really like it a lot. In the following example I've recorded one guitar track with the #34 and one with the AFD mode. Do you think you could hear a difference if the JCM1 would have been used instead? Maybe just if the Boost is set to On?

https://soundcloud.com/machine-head-2/blues-rock-sample

The JVM1 on the other hand has that insame amount of gain reserves and crosses borders the other amps can't reach. But it has also some very nice clean or crunch sound types that have obviously a different character compared to those ones from the AFD100. I also like the dry funk guitar sound I could get out of it. Both guitars in this "old school type" Funk track were recorded with the JVM1.

https://soundcloud.com/machine-head-2/funky-rhythm-song-draft-2

This little amp seems to cover a really wide range of great sounds. I feel that the gain control of the OD channel has a lot of Blues, 70s Rock, AC/DC, 80s Metal and possibly the JCM sound between the settings 0 to 2.5 with the Volume on 7 or more!

So, should I get the JCM1? Further I'm also thinking about what if hypothetical a new amp head comes out soon, possibly with EPA and including the historic sounds of Marshall. I mean, it's still the Anniversary year.

Thanks
MH

Badmonkey

Reaction score
the sound of the amps you have now = modern sound JCM1? = vintage sound :dude::dude::dude:

bulldozer1984

Everybody's Favorite Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
the sound of the amps you have now = modern sound JCM1? = vintage sound :dude::dude::dude:

Wha ? That makes no sense.

Ok the JCM 1 will sound a little different to the AFD, but not a lot when the boost is not engaged.

With the boost engaged you are getting diode clipping which the AFD doesnt have, so I think the JCM will sound different in that setting.

thenoodler

Reaction score
"Should I buy the JCM1?"

Yes, you should. If you do not you will induce a deadly back-up of GAS that could potentially be leathal to yourself and those within close proximity of you.

Stringjunkie

Reaction score
All I know is the JCM1 sounds great. I've always wanted a JVM but have no reason for it, maybe a JVM1. I would like to play an AFD but haven't seen one in person yet. Fuck it, buy one. It can't hurt.

newbies

Reaction score
I don't like the boost engaged on my jcm1. I doesn't sound a whole lot like my jubilee. The jcm1 is a awesome little rock machine!!

Badmonkey

Reaction score
Wha ? That makes no sense.

Ok the JCM 1 will sound a little different to the AFD, but not a lot when the boost is not engaged.

With the boost engaged you are getting diode clipping which the AFD doesnt have, so I think the JCM will sound different in that setting.

You need to learn the difference between modern and vintage

Groovejunkie

Reaction score
Check out the demos on YouTube. If you like them, and you have the money, get one. My only complaint is I wish it were a little louder....5 watts maybe. Then it would be unstoppable in my opinion.

Bluez_Freak

Reaction score
Check out the demos on YouTube. If you like them, and you have the money, get one. My only complaint is I wish it were a little louder....5 watts maybe. Then it would be unstoppable in my opinion.

Can we safely run an instrument cable in 0,1W mode to the return of another power amp? This would solve the wattage and FX problem?

Bluez_Freak

Reaction score

Just tried another "safer" route.

JCM1 -> Hot plate ("load" setting) -> lineout from hotplate -> return loop of my ENGL screamer 50....
OHHHHHHHH MYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :headbanger: :headbanger:
JCM TONE AT ANY VOLUME NOW!!!!!!!!

what a bark this amp has!! it's not high gain but it's sooooo ballsy... I'm so happy with it :applause:

peterichardz

Reaction score
Hi all

I'm very tempted to buy the JCM1 (and will probably get it in the end).

But a voice inside tells me that I'm covered for those type of sounds having the JVM1 and AFD100 already. Therefore I'd like to ask an opinion to those who have these amps or had experience with. Do you think that there's a significant (not just a subtle) difference between the adjustable sounds of the JCM1 and the other two amps?

Further the JCM1 has also the boost option that enables the 25th Jubilee sound. Do I find/have this sound covered in the mentioned amps?

The AFD100 is so amazing and I really like it a lot. In the following example I've recorded one guitar track with the #34 and one with the AFD mode. Do you think you could hear a difference if the JCM1 would have been used instead? Maybe just if the Boost is set to On?

https://soundcloud.com/machine-head-2/blues-rock-sample

The JVM1 on the other hand has that insame amount of gain reserves and crosses borders the other amps can't reach. But it has also some very nice clean or crunch sound types that have obviously a different character compared to those ones from the AFD100. I also like the dry funk guitar sound I could get out of it. Both guitars in this "old school type" Funk track were recorded with the JVM1.

https://soundcloud.com/machine-head-2/funky-rhythm-song-draft-2

This little amp seems to cover a really wide range of great sounds. I feel that the gain control of the OD channel has a lot of Blues, 70s Rock, AC/DC, 80s Metal and possibly the JCM sound between the settings 0 to 2.5 with the Volume on 7 or more!

So, should I get the JCM1? Further I'm also thinking about what if hypothetical a new amp head comes out soon, possibly with EPA and including the historic sounds of Marshall. I mean, it's still the Anniversary year.

Thanks
MH

First....Welcome to the forum!

Second....Do you use your amps in a covers band to emulate the sounds of the recordings, do you record and perform live original music and want many flavors, or do you just play in the bed room for self enjoyment?

Grunch

Reaction score
Do you need an overpriced one watt amp? If not, save up a little more and get the real thing.

Machine Head

Reaction score
Thanks for the various answers especially regarding the boost mode. It doesn't help to stop thinking to get the amp.

Machine Head

Reaction score
I don't like the boost engaged on my jcm1. I doesn't sound a whole lot like my jubilee. The jcm1 is a awesome little rock machine!!

Would you say you think it has a certain character of the Jubilee but the sound is missing something compared to your Jub amp? Do you have the JCM1 head or the combo? Are you using the same speaker as with the Jub amp?

Machine Head

Reaction score
First....Welcome to the forum!

Second....Do you use your amps in a covers band to emulate the sounds of the recordings, do you record and perform live original music and want many flavors, or do you just play in the bed room for self enjoyment?

Thank you for the welcome, peterichardz!

I don't play in a cover band as I like to write own songs, therefore band with orignial music. Nevertheless, I use the mentioned amps in my home studio for recording and of course practicing purpouses. For playing in a band I usually use an Egnater Rebel 30 Head through one Marshall 6912. And yes, I like many flavors for my guitar sounds.

jcm800gridlock

Reaction score
I bought a JMP-1, it sounded great but I wanted the real thing, plus I had a hard time justfying the price of the JMP-1.

So I returned the JMP-1 and bought an vintage JMP for only a couple of hundred dollars more.

Glad that I went with the vintage amp instead.

Machine Head

Reaction score
Do you need an overpriced one watt amp? If not, save up a little more and get the real thing.

I don't think those amps are overpriced, in my opinion of course. A JCM800 50/100 W Head isn't an option for me, it's far too loud. Such low Watt tube amps is what I missed for a long time. They still produce some serious loudness. Apart of that I have the AFD100 and also a Lead 100 Mosfet if I'm needing "the real thing". Well, I hope at least :)

Latest posts