Should I buy the JCM1?

• Thread starter Machine Head
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Grunch

Reaction score
I don't think those amps are overpriced, in my opinion of course. A JCM800 50/100 W Head isn't an option for me, it's far too loud. Such low Watt tube amps is what I missed for a long time. They still produce some serious loudness. Apart of that I have the AFD100 and also a Lead 100 Mosfet if I'm needing "the real thing". Well, I hope at least :)

Yeah I saw you had the AFD and thought to myself that being loud wasn't a concern. Carry on, good luck.

peterichardz

Reaction score
Thank you for the welcome, peterichardz!

I don't play in a cover band as I like to write own songs, therefore band with orignial music. Nevertheless, I use the mentioned amps in my home studio for recording and of course practicing purpouses. For playing in a band I usually use an Egnater Rebel 30 Head through one Marshall 6912. And yes, I like many flavors for my guitar sounds.

In that case, buy the amp! It's just like a painter wanting another color to get just the right feeling in a painting!

Machine Head

Reaction score
In that case, buy the amp! It's just like a painter wanting another color to get just the right feeling in a painting!

Very convincing what you say. Until now nobody answered my question with "Yes, I have those three amps and find the JCM1 isn't necessary because his sounds are covered by the other two". So, I'm still tempted.

Anyway, I'm keeping an eye over the available stock of the JCM1, ready to buy if they would be running out. On the other hand I have patience because the "Musikmesse" is soon and want to know if there will be a certain new amp announcement by Marshall as I've mentioned in my first post.

DucS2R

Reaction score
On another forum I advised you not to buy the JCM 1 because it sounded like you had that sound covered with the AFD and as another poster, surf I think, said try a JTM 1 or a JMP 1 head. Now that I know more about you and what you want the amp for, hell yes, buy it you will love it as much as I do mine. Great sound at reasonable, but still satisfyingly loud levels.
And amazing for recording.

T

newbies

Reaction score
Would you say you think it has a certain character of the Jubilee but the sound is missing something compared to your Jub amp? Do you have the JCM1 head or the combo? Are you using the same speaker as with the Jub amp?

Honestly the JCM1 with boost engaged disappointed me a lot, maybe because I own a great sounding jubilee and I expected more. I have the head version and I do play it through the same cab. I honestly say buy it, you already have 2 full sized heads (both sound great at low volume), you can use a od pedal and get good sounds out of a 2203/2204 at low volume, but you will not be disappointed with a JCM1, boost disengaged and use a od pedal and it sounds awesome..... trust me I have owned many jcm 800s and the jcm1 :headbanger:

Sir Don

Reaction score
Honestly the JCM1 with boost engaged disappointed me a lot, maybe because I own a great sounding jubilee and I expected more. I have the head version and I do play it through the same cab.

I have to agree, the boost button makes it sound really compressed to my ears.

Bluez_Freak

Reaction score
I have to agree, the boost button makes it sound really compressed to my ears.

100% agree. It's also much more 'generic' Marshall tone rather than JCM800.

My boost button will stay out (off) forever and I'll boost with an OD pedal as necessary for more gain. Sounds much more lively and much more JCM800 this way.

Stringjunkie

Reaction score
Hmmm, I can rock the shit out of the JCM w/ boost on or off. But I just love rockin tone and don't really care if it's an exact jub or not. I use 0 OD with it, just delay

Machine Head

Reaction score
On another forum I advised you not to buy the JCM 1 because it sounded like you had that sound covered with the AFD and as another poster, surf I think, said try a JTM 1 or a JMP 1 head. Now that I know more about you and what you want the amp for, hell yes, buy it you will love it as much as I do mine. Great sound at reasonable, but still satisfyingly loud levels.
And amazing for recording.

T

Hey DucS2R, nice to meet you here as well.

Thanks for the feedback. Regarding why not a JTM1 or a JMP1 you may have read my answer to Surf.

Machine Head

Reaction score
Thanks newbies and the other for your feedback about the Boost/Jubilee Switch.

Latest posts