Should I Get A Dsl?

• Thread starter mtm105
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DSL

• Yes

Votes: 24 64.9%
  • No

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • WTF

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Mesa Boogie

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Friedman

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • First Act

Votes: 3 8.1%

• Total voters

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
If you asked me if I should get a DSL I'd say no, but if youre asking for yourself I'd say go try one and see if you like it.

Last edited:

lovehifi

Reaction score
Love my Friedman Smallbox 50 and DSL40CR. After correcting the bias on the DSL40CR and switching out the speaker to a creamback I love it. Just be careful with the new DSL series. There are a few that come with issues out of the box. I went through a couple before getting one that was issue free.

KraftyBob

Reaction score
Not sure if this is a legit post or not, but assuming it is... For the money I don't think you can beat the DSL. But, your list also includes Mesa and Friedman so if those are under serious consideration and you are OK spending the extra money then either of those will possibly serve you better. Having said that, if you're budget is only $40 then the First Act is the way to go :D

LRT#1

Reaction score
My buddy has a dsl hr it's had no problems but reading through the forum have seen multiple issues with the dsl40cr it seams the solder wasn't done well so IMO I wouldn't go with dsl

purpleplexi

Reaction score
If you get one try it first. Make sure there are no funny noises and you ought to be good.

mtm105

Reaction score
The post was Sarcasm.

However, I do own a DSL 15H. And a Lead 12 Head.

And several top shelf boutique heads, mostly low watt.

Seventh Son

Reaction score
I own a DSL15C and a Reverb 12. Great minds think alike.

On a somewhat tangential note, I think that a well tuned guitar is a big part of making an amp sound good. It’s the reason, among others, why Johan Segeborn’s demos always sound so good, no matter what amp he plays true. I’ve tried many different intonation and tuning techniques over the past 20+ years. For best results, I set intonation using the 12th fret harmonic and the fretted note on the 12th fret (very light touch), and I tune using the 12th fret harmonic. Doing it this way, the guitar feels, plays, and sounds tight, precise, and—above all—musical. It feels and sounds very organic and harmonious. I just finished my daily practice with the Reverb 12 and, man, did it sound good!

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
The post was Sarcasm.

However, I do own a DSL 15H. And a Lead 12 Head.

And several top shelf boutique heads, mostly low watt.
Most of the people reading viewing that video weren't even here when Surf posted it.
Another part of MarshallForum history lost forever...

There were quite the rivalries back then.
JCM 800 owners vs. DSL/TSL owners and such.
The DSL40c had not even been released yet.

Hundreds of new members would join and ask 'Which Marshall should I buy?'
And of course all the 6100 and JVM fanboys would chime in, the 800 owners would argue...
It would turn into a bitchfest like no other.

Those were great times back then...

ampmadscientist

Reaction score

DSL has a lot of technical problems.
Even the newest ones have their share of issues.
But the people who buy them love the sound so much that they put up with the bugs.
Even if the amp hurls and blows major chunks, they just fix it up and play it again.
Maybe if you just want to play guitar, and don't want to spend a bunch of time fighting issues, you should maybe not buy a DSL.

J E H

Reaction score
DSL's are great.
I have a TSL -- I love it
Also have an 84 JCM800 single channel -- classic sound.

Allterr

Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I bought mine new in 2009. Never had an issue with it. Maybe just a small bias check and adjust now and then and after tube changes.

Delete!!

Reaction score
I went through this a few months ago after I ditched my Fender Champs...I bought the DSL5CR first and used it as a “guinea pig” before deciding to get a 40CR for gigging. I was very skeptical about buying a non-UK Marshall but I am still happy with both of my amps. If you get a 40CR just make sure you buy from a reputable source that has a good return policy. Vigorously work out the amp when you get it, if there are any issues they will likely show up right away. Both of mine are still perfect and get used daily/weekly. I think the 40CR has a great sound and feature set for the price.

Troy T. Blues

Reaction score
I went through this a few months ago after I ditched my Fender Champs...I bought the DSL5CR first and used it as a “guinea pig” before deciding to get a 40CR for gigging. I was very skeptical about buying a non-UK Marshall but I am still happy with both of my amps. If you get a 40CR just make sure you buy from a reputable source that has a good return policy. Vigorously work out the amp when you get it, if there are any issues they will likely show up right away. Both of mine are still perfect and get used daily/weekly. I think the 40CR has a great sound and feature set for the price.

Agreed.

Latest posts