Sick Bastard!!

• Thread starter 601 Blues
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

601 Blues

Reaction score
When will it end!!!I just got a Plexi, and now Iam lookin for another Marshall!!!!!!WTF is wrong with me????? I know where there is an 800 and I want it!!!ITS a freakin sickness!!

steelhorse

Reaction score
You should have just gotten a Vintage Modern and been done with it!

That's what cured my illness for the time being.

Sir Punk

Reaction score
I still think VM is not up to par with the JMP and plexi. It does many things great but nothing is awesome.

GibsonSlash

Reaction score
How many Marshall heads have you got so far?
When will it end!!!I just got a Plexi, and now Iam lookin for another Marshall!!!!!!WTF is wrong with me????? I know where there is an 800 and I want it!!!ITS a freakin sickness!!

steelhorse

Reaction score
I still think VM is not up to par with the JMP and plexi. It does many things great but nothing is awesome.

Unless you actually own one and have worked with them for a good period of time it would be a questionable comparison.

To get those others to do 'awesome' what the VM does 'great' required expensive mods and extremely loud playing.

There's no denying that those are the requirements and no denying those are great amps once the mods are done.

The VM is awesome because it can achieve fantastic tone and crunch, AND switch to clean AND achieve these at neighbor friendly OR loud volumes AND has a couple of modern touches such as an effects loop and MV and reverb.

I actually did have to 'mod' my VM to make it awesome; THE 'MOD' was to change the pre-amp tubes to the correct combination that smoothed the edge off and brought all the levels to a more unified level so that when I played the neck pickup in the low range it was lush and clean and sparkling, and could switch to slight OD, to sweet crunch with the flick of my pickup selector switch, or get smooth OD to a serious hard rock crunch in the high mode.

No drastic change in volume in fact moving to the high mode and selecting the bridge was like having a slight boost turned on for leads more than anything.

Then add a nice OD pedal like a fulltone or modified DS-1 and it was like adding yet another channel to the mix, as it takes pedals (which I rarely use) very well.

All by only using the footswitch or the pickup selector. :naughty:

Last edited:

steelhorse

Reaction score
I thought I explained the 'mod' that I did was change the pre amp tubes?

This amp kicks ass plain and simple and has serious tone and crunch, its all there.

I really don't want to offend and make direct comparisons if anything let's see what Steve D the designer of this amp has to say about it:

"The Vintage Modern is basically a JTM45 with some hot rodding. For a JTM 45 tone select the low dynamic range, master volume on full, mid boost out, Detail at 2 -4 o'clock. Body at 1 - 3 o'clock and then dime the tones. This should be very close.

The vintage Modern is essentially a Plexi with some bells and whistles. Its foundation is the 'JTM 45 Super 100's' as championed by Hendrix, Clapton in Cream and several others."

Eag

Reaction score

Hi, my name is Eag, and I too am a sick bastard. My Marshall purchases in the last 6 months:

'78 JMP 2203 head
'84 JCM800 4010 combo
1960AX cab
MF400 cab
90's Drivemaster pedal

I look forward to being a sick bastard for some time to come.:headbanger:

Sir Punk

Reaction score
steelhorse, I would definitely give the VM a second chance. I own a JMP '79 master volume, I've had for a year. Every amp I tried so far doesn't seem to be up to par.

I tried the VM only for an hour or so, with a slash epi. maybe was the guitar, maybe was the VM tubes were shot, but I didn't think it was as marshall sounding as my JMP. Yes, it does have clean channel, so in a way it's more flexible. Again, I would probably need to fuzz around with it more then.

steelhorse

Reaction score
Hi my name is steelhorse, and I'm a GAS-aholic.

(hi steelhorse....)

steelhorse

Reaction score
steelhorse, I would definitely give the VM a second chance. I own a JMP '79 master volume, I've had for a year. Every amp I tried so far doesn't seem to be up to par.

I tried the VM only for an hour or so, with a slash epi. maybe was the guitar, maybe was the VM tubes were shot, but I didn't think it was as marshall sounding as my JMP. Yes, it does have clean channel, so in a way it's more flexible. Again, I would probably need to fuzz around with it more then.

The Slash epi is a far cry from the real deal. I know, I've owned them both.

I sold the epi after 2 days and I had the USA for a few months until someone HAD to have it and went MAFIA on me (made me a deal, I couldn't refuse) totally different animals.

Rock on brother, I think with the right time invested and (if you decide to get one) the right tubes you'd be in heaven!

GibsonSlash

Reaction score
I think I'm gas-ing for a VM now.
I'm becoming a sick-bastard too now. :rofl:

601 Blues

Reaction score
I bought another speaker cab last night!! its a strange cab 4/10s I think 8 ohm 140 watts, 1967 A! Its about as wide as the 1936 2/12 and a little taller but its a slant, I assume there is 4/10s in it, the marshall logo is small like my plexi, its black tolex, no casters on top of the cab there is 4 round recesses where head legs set into, not the rubber strips, on the back spearker connects it round recess , I found it at a pawn shop in Carrie Mississippi last night, I got it for 50 bucks!! however I have to wait for 21 days to pick it up, They just got it, and thats what they have to wait to sell it State law, I paid then for it and just will wait till They call to pick it up!!
Iam a sicko fo shure!!
what can I do ta control this Marshall sickness!! AHGGGGGGGGG!

601 Blues

Reaction score
Sadly I had ta leave my Plexi at my Amp Tech yesterday!! nothin serious I just wanted 2 inputs replaced to org, and new Mullard Power Tubes and a tune up!! However I carried my National Reso Elect along to show Bill how the plexi sounded, I had sold my VOX AC 30cc to pay for the PLexi, and Bill the tech was kinda upset I had sold the VOX he loved it!! However when he heard the Plexi he was blown away!! He said the Plexi was far better than the VOX, And now understands why I did the trade!!