single coil sound from my humbucker

• Thread starter dashizzler
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dashizzler

Reaction score
The stock 490r neck pickup on my SG sounds like a single coil sometimes. I'm guessing it's grounding out somewhere. Just where is the question. Everything in the electronics cavity is ok, but before I go ripping everything out I thought I would ask you guys. So, any thoughts? It's a 2 conductor wire from the pup. Do you think the mesh is touching something it shouldn't?

Wycked Lester

Reaction score
. Do you think the mesh is touching something it shouldn't?

no, or it would totally short out. Being a 2 conductor pup, the coils are wired together internaly so it must be a bad connection within the pickup.

Here is an easy way to tell whats up,...next time it sounds that way take a piece of metal,...screwdriver, allen wrench,....and tap on the pickup pole pieces to see if both coils are working ....or which one isn't.

RiverRatt

VIP Member
Reaction score
The only Gibson humbucker I've had that happen to was a T-Top in a 1970's LP Custom. I didn't like the gold covers and pulled them off and broke the wire on one of the coils of the bridge pickup. I got the same single-coil sound you're describing. You might have a broken wire that's still making intermittent contact. If you have a DMM, check the resistance on the pickup that's giving you problems. If you get an open reading or a reading that's way outside the 7K to 10K range, you're probably going to have to replace the pickup.