Single Speaker combo to replace VM 2266C and DSL50 - ideas?

• Thread starter Cossack
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Cossack

Reaction score
I have a Vintage Modern 2266C that I love. Sometimes I wish it was a little more 800-ish on the mid-higher gain side of things, but all-in-all I'm very pleased. I love the touch-responsive nature of it.

However...It's too big. It's a pain to haul around, and it's got more power than I need. It would be more practical to have a 1x12 or even 1x10 combo for my needs. I just sold my DSL50 head for the same reason, although I already miss it.

Which Marshall Single-Speaker combos would be the best to replace it? I'd prefer 20-50 watts. I'd need to keep it under $1000.

It would need to sound good at indoor family-friendly volumes (My DSL50 was great at this, and the VM is pretty darn good, too). I'd like it to go from a raunchy clean to a classic metal sound. I like to play in the style of (and like the tone of) Rory Gallagher, Thin Lizzy, and Iron Maiden, and occasionally get into old-school thrash metal and slightly more moderns stuff a bit with an SD-1 in front. I use a Strat with lower output Single coils and a Les Paul with PAF style pickups.

Channel-switching and reverb are not important to me. An effects loop might be a plus, but isn't essential. Normally I don't play with effects. I'd prefer a UK amp, mostly out of snob appeal.

Id like something with some of the organic touch responsiveness of the VM. I might end up keeping the VM too, in a perfect world, but if I can replace it with a 1x12 that covers similar sonic territory, that might be ideal. For the most expensive options I might need to sell it to fund them anyway.

So far I've seen the following under $1K:
JCM900 4501
JCM800 4210
Studio Classic JCM800
TSL601
JVM215c
Mini Jubilee 2525c
DSL20C and DSL40C/CR
Haze 15/40

I'm also toying with the Carvin X-series combos from the 80s. I'd be open to other non-Marshall ideas, but I really like Marshall tones.

Since I have a 1x12 cab, I suppose a mini-head would work as well.

I live in the wilds of Montana and have very limited opportunities to try these out. With that in mind, I'd be open to any recommendations, suggestions, and considerations from people with any experience with these or other Marshall (or similar) combos.

Cossack

Reaction score
I should clarify I intend to buy a used amp. Obviously, many of those I listed can't be found under $1000 new anyway, and many others can't be found new at all.

JohnH

Reaction score
If you have a decent 1x12 cab, how about a used Orange Tiny Terror? It a a nice simple amp in your tonal range and touch sensitive too.

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
SV/SC20 head or combo. SV is vintage JMP in a 20 watt version, SC classic JCM800 same.
UK made, low power mode (approx 5 watts), loop, cathode bias so can use any octal based tube. Combo is only 10" speaker but if you already have extension cabs it may give you more options weight wise.
Both take pedals really well to boost into metal territory.

Kelia

Reaction score
I have a Vintage Modern 2266C that I love. Sometimes I wish it was a little more 800-ish on the mid-higher gain side of things, but all-in-all I'm very pleased. I love the touch-responsive nature of it.

However...It's too big. It's a pain to haul around, and it's got more power than I need. It would be more practical to have a 1x12 or even 1x10 combo for my needs. I just sold my DSL50 head for the same reason, although I already miss it.

Which Marshall Single-Speaker combos would be the best to replace it? I'd prefer 20-50 watts. I'd need to keep it under $1000.

It would need to sound good at indoor family-friendly volumes (My DSL50 was great at this, and the VM is pretty darn good, too). I'd like it to go from a raunchy clean to a classic metal sound. I like to play in the style of (and like the tone of) Rory Gallagher, Thin Lizzy, and Iron Maiden, and occasionally get into old-school thrash metal and slightly more moderns stuff a bit with an SD-1 in front. I use a Strat with lower output Single coils and a Les Paul with PAF style pickups.

Channel-switching and reverb are not important to me. An effects loop might be a plus, but isn't essential. Normally I don't play with effects. I'd prefer a UK amp, mostly out of snob appeal.

Id like something with some of the organic touch responsiveness of the VM. I might end up keeping the VM too, in a perfect world, but if I can replace it with a 1x12 that covers similar sonic territory, that might be ideal. For the most expensive options I might need to sell it to fund them anyway.

JCM900 4501
JCM800 4210
Studio Classic JCM800
TSL601
JVM215c
Mini Jubilee 2525c
DSL20C and DSL40C/CR
Haze 15/40

I'm also toying with the Carvin X-series combos from the 80s. I'd be open to other non-Marshall ideas, but I really like Marshall tones.

I live in the wilds of Montana and have very limited opportunities to try these out. With that in mind, I'd be open to any recommendations, suggestions, and considerations from people with any experience with these or other Marshall (or similar) combos.
This is what you want !

paul-e-mann

Reaction score

JCM900 4501
JCM800 4210
Studio Classic JCM800
TSL601
JVM215c
Mini Jubilee 2525c
DSL20C and DSL40C/CR
Haze 15/40

I would get the 1x12 JCM800 combo a 4010. Or if you dont mind a 1x10 get the Studio Classic combo SC20C. These will give you the tones youre looking for. :yesway:

Last edited:

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since you already own a 1-12 cab I’d recommend the SC20 head. 20 watts, effect loop, sounds great, and only about 20 lbs.

They’re out there used for around a G, ($1000) I usually don’t recommend GC, but they’ve got 2 or 3 in their online used gear.

DLW

Reaction score
The DSL to me will be very far from the VM

SC20 head or mini Jub head leaning towards the SC20. If you get the combo version make sure it has a good speaker in it. The Jub does. I dont know whats in the SC20 combo.

Keep the VM and you can unplug the speaker cable from the VM and set the mini head on top of the VM to make use of the VM speakers and have fun with that. The VM has awesome speakers.

For your 1-12. Put a WGS ET 65 speaker in it or a Celestion G12-65( wgs is a copy of the celestion) and use it for VM too. It sounds great with a VM. Its what was in the Marshall cabs 1979-1983 that was often paired up with 800 model 2203 and 2204 amps in the early vertical input 800’s

You would have 2 awesome different amps and 2 awesome speaker options to choose.

Great options. You can get the head and speaker for $1000 or under if patient.

Also a cheap $25 ABY pedal.
Also a cheap $40 stereo Biyang RV-10 Tri-Verb reverb pedal. You can put it in both amp loops as the VM reverb sucks. Lol.

Try not to sell the VM. I have done it several times only to regret it bad and come back to it and buy another one later on. There is something special about it you cannot pull from many other amps as far as tone and feel.

Also the speakers in the VM are getting hard to come by and they are very good.

Last edited:

DLW

Reaction score
If you are willing to consider Ceriatone....

Son of Yeti
OTS Lunchbox

All of these are small heads with two 6V6 power tubes. The price is pretty amazing.

bhurst462

Reaction score
I've owned both amps, Marshall player for life here. However I just replaced my DSL40 with a Blackstar 10th Anniversary Series One combo. Only 10 watts, so it may lack the power you need, but the amp is sick. Class A, the KT88 is unbelievable. It sounds great at low volumes, but can get plenty loud. I have been thoroughly impressed with it. I do wish it had a full EQ and not just the ISR knob, but it's really not a huge deal. Amazing amp!

My other Marshalls are all 100 watters.
22033KK
1979 JMP 4 input
1980 JMP Master Model
David Brey modded Plexi

Last edited:

ampeq

Reaction score
If you are willing to consider Ceriatone....

Son of Yeti
OTS Lunchbox

All of these are small heads with two 6V6 power tubes. The price is pretty amazing.
The 2202 & 2525 get nothing but rave reviews. (I'm getting a 2202 combo) I just got the Chupacabra (Modded Plexi) If your a Marshall guy you should really take the time to check these out. The 2202 is a more versatile 800 and comes in at $625 shipped. It can be had in a combo as well. All of these amps are top notch point to point HW units.

Kinkless Tetrode

Reaction score
I would rather have a low wattage amp with EL34s than one that combines small trannys with 6V6s.