Single Speaker combo to replace VM 2266C and DSL50 - ideas?

• Thread starter Cossack
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Cossack

Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas, everyone. When I get more time, I'll search through some of them.

TSL 601 or DSL 40C will get you a bunch. If by some miracle you can find a 6101, it does everything. No pedal required.

I had never even heard of the 6101 until you mentioned it. I knew about the 30th Anniversary heads, but never a combo. That's cool! Do they have any reliability issues? When I was reading about them some people mentioned that they might be hard to work on, but I didn't see any actual complaints.

Since you have the a JVM amp, how would you compare them?

In other ideas, does anyone have experience with Carvin X-Series combos? They aren't super common, but theyr'e not rare either, nor terribly expensive. The 100 or 60 watt combos seem like a good deal, and even though 100 watts is surplus to my needs, if it's more portable than my 2x12 Marshall, it's ok.

Graham G

Reaction score
Really surprised at some of the none Marshall suggestions,if I was happy with my present Marshall Amps but needed something smaller i'd look at Marshall again,OR15 is a very nice Amp,but I can't imagine anything further from a Marshall sound.
I have both an Orange & 2 Marshalls so I don't think i'm being biased,i just think they sound completely different.

Cossack

Reaction score
Any love for the JVM215C? They pop up from time to time on the edge of my price range. For the price, I'd probably be more inclined to try the SC20c or maybe the 2525c, but there are a lot of people raving about the JVMs.

Cossack

Reaction score
Still no comments on the JVM? I like the clips I hear on Youtube, although I worry that if I used it to replace the Vintage Modern (as opposed to finding a way to afford it and keep both) I'd be frustrated at it being to compressed and not organic/touch sensitive enough. Sometimes, like when I'm playing metal, that's not a bad thing, but other times it might bother me. Anyway, maybe it's not even an issue - I'm just wondering and wishing we had a store within driving distance where I could check one out. But alas...we don't!

I also just learned that Marshall made a a 1x12 combo version of the JCM900 MkIII High Gain Master Volume. I thought those were only heads. I've read them described as like a JCM800 with a built-in solid-state boost that can be turned on and off via the "sensitivity" control. Any thoughts on those? They don't seem to be common, but should also be more affordable than a JCM800 4010 combo.

Angus Rhoads

Reaction score
Still no comments on the JVM? I like the clips I hear on Youtube, although I worry that if I used it to replace the Vintage Modern (as opposed to finding a way to afford it and keep both) I'd be frustrated at it being to compressed and not organic/touch sensitive enough. Sometimes, like when I'm playing metal, that's not a bad thing, but other times it might bother me. Anyway, maybe it's not even an issue - I'm just wondering and wishing we had a store within driving distance where I could check one out. But alas...we don't!

I also just learned that Marshall made a a 1x12 combo version of the JCM900 MkIII High Gain Master Volume. I thought those were only heads. I've read them described as like a JCM800 with a built-in solid-state boost that can be turned on and off via the "sensitivity" control. Any thoughts on those? They don't seem to be common, but should also be more affordable than a JCM800 4010 combo.
I have a JVM215C. It's a great amp, crazy versatility, but if your primary concern is organic, touch-sensitivity then it may not be the best option for you. It's more on the modern, smoother, compressed side than even the DSL but especially compared to the VM. I know there are mods out there for anti-stiffness, less compression, etc. but I can't speak to those. Now, if you like saturated late-70s & 80s hard rock/NWOBHM/Mid-80s hair metal (all of which I love) then the JVM has it in spades, and takes you right into modern liquid high-gain tones.

Check out the Mini-Jubilee 2525C (which I also have). I think that one will be more in line with what you're looking for. Very old-school directness/responsiveness - maybe a little too direct sometimes, any little mistake you make is laid out there for all to hear!

Last edited:

ampeq

Reaction score
I would rather have a low wattage amp with EL34s than one that combines small trannys with 6V6s.
I'd rather have one that sounds great than go by whats in it.
Everyone I'v spoke to that has one or owned one said it sounds better than their JCM800.

Cossack

Reaction score
I have a JVM215C. It's a great amp, crazy versatility, but if your primary concern is organic, touch-sensitivity then it may not be the best option for you. It's more on the modern, smoother, compressed side than even the DSL but especially compared to the VM. I know there are mods out there for anti-stiffness, less compression, etc. but I can't speak to those. Now, if you like saturated late-70s & 80s hard rock/NWOBHM/Mid-80s hair metal (all of which I love) then the JVM has it in spades, and takes you right into modern liquid high-gain tones.

Check out the Mini-Jubilee 2525C (which I also have). I think that one will be more in line with what you're looking for. Very old-school directness/responsiveness - maybe a little too direct sometimes, any little mistake you make is laid out there for all to hear!

That's very helpful. Thank you. I love '70s hard rock, NWOBHM, and 70s-80s Proto-Metal and Metal. I think I'd love the JVM, but it seems like I might also miss something if that was all I had...maybe...

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
YMMV. I have yet to be impressed by any PRS amp. They're decent but I never found one yet that would make me think "I need this sound at home.".

Go to a store that carries a large selection of Marshalls and Mesas and try them ALL. I think there's something in either company's lineup that you'll really like.

Angus Rhoads

Reaction score
That's very helpful. Thank you. I love '70s hard rock, NWOBHM, and 70s-80s Proto-Metal and Metal. I think I'd love the JVM, but it seems like I might also miss something if that was all I had...maybe...
Well, I dunno, if you're on the same page as me music-wise I'll say this - my Marshall combos are listed in my signature and if I was forced into a situation where I could only keep one I can tell you it would come down to a tough choice between either the JVM or my JMD, the two least organic/touch-sensitive of the bunch. I love them all but the fact is I play the JMD and JVM the most. You give up a little in old-school directness but you have so many tones at your fingertips, for me it's worth the trade-off if I had to give up the others. JVM can do squeaky-clean Country all the way through uber-Metal and everything in between. And the different switching options with being able to default to things like reverb and f/x loop on or off for each mode, which Master Volume, etc. - I mean it's just crazy.

Cossack

Reaction score
Go to a store that carries a large selection of Marshalls and Mesas and try them ALL. I think there's something in either company's lineup that you'll really like.

*Sigh* that would be divine. Maybe it's time for a vacation. Maybe there's a store like that in Seattle or Salt Lake City....

ampeq

Reaction score
I have looked at those. Definitely keeping them in mind. Thanks.
No problem, I don't know if you have tried one but they sure do impress. I need to call Nik but I'm going to buy another very soon, I just can't choose what I want. I only need 20w so I'd like a 2202, (800ish) but I also love their Plexi and hot-rod plexi amps. So I want to see what Nik can do or recommends I get. Very versatile stuff.

Cossack

Reaction score

I figured out this was the model 2501 amp. It seems cool.

I realize now I'm just in danger of finding a bunch of amps that I want.

Cossack

Reaction score
I finally found and purchased the perfect replacement for a DSL50. It doesn't meet all of my requirements, but I must say it nails the tone:
ta5aHOl.jpg

I'm not sure I'm doing this right...

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
I finally found and purchased the perfect replacement for a DSL50. It doesn't meet all of my requirements, but I must say it nails the tone:
ta5aHOl.jpg

I'm not sure I'm doing this right...
Better the devil you know?

Latest posts