Slaved Code 25 Into Bugera 1960! Wow!

• Thread starter Msharky67
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Msharky67

Reaction score
I was thinking the other day how about running the headphone jack into my 1960 through my 412 cab. I hooked it up and turned it on. Wow what a difference. The sound was full and robust. The amp models seemed to come alive. I put in the front and then through the FX return. That sounded better. I need to adjust the gate a little more with some presets. It is like having a new amp for now. I will have to try it with the DSL40. I have seen this way before with an FX processor. The code is basically the same in an amp form. If you haven't tried this I recommended doing it. You will be surprised!

maxxi

Reaction score
Maybe Marshall should consider making a code rack preamp? I think a lot of people would be interested.

shooto

Reaction score
Cool...because that amp totally sucks on it’s own (I had a 50 when they came out)...the JMD is a million times better and it’s what the Code should have been...real disappointment

Michael Roe

Reaction score
I was thinking the other day how about running the headphone jack into my 1960 through my 412 cab. I hooked it up and turned it on. Wow what a difference. The sound was full and robust. The amp models seemed to come alive. I put in the front and then through the FX return. That sounded better. I need to adjust the gate a little more with some presets. It is like having a new amp for now. I will have to try it with the DSL40. I have seen this way before with an FX processor. The code is basically the same in an amp form. If you haven't tried this I recommended doing it. You will be surprised!
Everything sounds better through a Tube power amp! Try a Mesa dual rec pre into a DSL. You will realize how anemic Mesa power amps are :)

Antmax

Reaction score
I did this too. There is so little inside my code 50 you could almost cram it into the CODE 4 button footswitch. Especially if you didn't need the big capacitors and heatsink on the power amp. After the front panel, the effects are basically a a board the size of a couple of credit cards with a tiny piggyback board at 90 degrees.

I sometimes plug the CODE 50 into the return on my DSL20h, that flat EQ with the treble and bass constantly fighting is gone and it sounds pretty good, the noise floor isn't so bad and less fizz. I have my 50 stuffed out the way in a side table with the USB plugged into my PC and use the bypass on my tuner pedal to connect to the code. So all I can control it from the PC editor and hook it up via headphone/line out to the FX return on my DSL in moments with a cheap HOSA cable.

If you get a lot of noise and digital fizz from your code, I found my code doesn't like some buffered pedals up front. Seems to saturate those things.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The 1960 was actually an interesting amp. I used it for almost a year, it could get some very clean tones. Eventually sold it because it didn’t perform at high volume.