Slx 2100 bright cap location

• Thread starter rpurdue
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rpurdue

Reaction score
hey all. I tried the search and came up dry. I have a 2100 slx and dig it, but the high end can be very harsh. Does anyone know the bright cap number to try some different values?

RickyLee

VIP Member
Reaction score
Hmmm. Seeing your thread, I was thinking @Cadorman would have chimed in on this one as he has been working on his SL-X quite a bit lately.

That darn schematic that is on the innerwebz is brutal to read. And then my SL-X has been stored away for quite a few years. I will see if I can decode that schematic later today . . . .

RickyLee

VIP Member
Reaction score
The bright cap across the gain pot (I am not sure which gain) is oddly in the R22 location.

RickyLee

VIP Member
Reaction score
VR1 is the Preamp Volume and R22 1nF is the bright capacitor in the Issue #5 schematic.

That is a bit odd huh? You would think VR1 is Gain and VR2 is Preamp Volume.

Always thought this preamp was interesting, as in that cathode follower right after first stage. The 6100 CH3 uses quite a few cathode followers as well. That is partly why I like these circuits as they are very unique. Many people ripping out that SL-X topology.

mickeydg5

Reaction score
The middle east of the united states of America
Cathode follower circuits are quieter and have other advantages.
Whether you day gain or volume in these cases because they mean and do the same thing.
More volume = larger signal
More gain = larger signal.
It si just the naming Marshall gave the controls but I am sure the second control does provide more distortion artifacts.

ampmadscientist

Reaction score
hey all. I tried the search and came up dry. I have a 2100 slx and dig it, but the high end can be very harsh. Does anyone know the bright cap number to try some different values?

C13 (470pf) and R22 (1n) are both bright caps in series.
When 2 caps are in series, the value will be smaller than the smallest of the 2 values.
Final capacitance = 319 pf

Remember that 1n = 1000 pf.

Calculator:
https://www.digikey.com/en/resource...sion-calculator-series-and-parallel-capacitor

marshall2100slxinput.png

RickyLee

VIP Member
Reaction score
I was going to mention the treble peakers/attenuators C13 & C15, but figured he wanted that cap across that first gain pot.

RickyLee

VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeapers. Thinking that might just be what he is looking for . . . .

ampmadscientist

Reaction score
It is nonexistent until you spill the beans. :lol:

I'll try to explain it.
Because the layout of the circuit board, two capacitors are side by side.
And what Fender did not realize at the time, was that these capacitors are coupling together through the air space in between.
So look at the tone stack layout:
BASSTONESTACK.png

And what is happening is that because the 250pf treble cap is directly adjacent to the .1 uF Bass cap, the two caps are coupled together through the air space, forming a additional capacitor (shown in red).

Bass tone stack 2.png

They didn't realize that this provided a solution to the coupling between the stages of a tube amp. Essentially the solution was accidentally invented because of the circuit board layout.

Latest posts