Small Marshalls

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I have a BluGuitar Amp1 and an Orange Stamp (see pics below), I gig these and plug them into my band's IEM system, no cabs. I'd like to have a Marshall one of these but I dont think Marshall makes anything like this (unless I'm mistaken). This has got me thinking, how can I adapt one of Marshall's products to make one? First thought was take a Code 25 gut the parts out of it and put it into a small enclosure, second thought was take an MG 50 and do the same. See where I'm going with this? I would want it to be a hybrid or solid state amp since it wont have a cab, I want it to be small and portable, its gotta be an affordable solution too. I'm familiar with the old MG's, I see Marshall makes new MG's with 4 programmable channels, I gotta go to the store and check these out. Anyone have thoughts on this idea? Does anyone know if Marshall is developing a product for this market, its basically a pedal amp as you can see with the BluGuitar and Orange.

e4A8mKB.jpg

ZucLhm5.jpg

svinyard

Reaction score
I'm surprised that you can't get the sound that you want out of the BluGuitar. Maybe you need the Iridium for more gain?
My buddy with a studio has an Iridium and some full range fancy speakers for it. He likes it as a quick grab and go option.

It’s not very impressive sound wise compared to a his other amps tho. Fender, Vox, Marshall etc etc.

Do people really like these a lot??

To OP, would the offerings from Pedal PalFX Pedals be similar to what you are looking for?

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
I always said the obvious market for CODE was a floor pedal without the shitty box and crap speaker(s). The internals of a CODE25 are easily small enough to put in a pedal type box, however, whether or not it's do-able for a DIY conversion is another thing.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I'm surprised that you can't get the sound that you want out of the BluGuitar. Maybe you need the Iridium for more gain?
I get plenty of gain, and flexibility for that matter, I'm a Marshall guy so I was wondering why Marshall doesnt have a product like this.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
If you're already doing in-ears and a silent stage, why not bite the bullet and go straight to modelers? By now I'm sure there are plenty of budget friendly used options available.
Modelers, thats something I hadnt thought of. Although I do have a Zoom G3Xn which has Marshall models but I cant dial them in worth a $h!t to sound good or anything like the real thing.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
My buddy with a studio has an Iridium and some full range fancy speakers for it. He likes it as a quick grab and go option.

It’s not very impressive sound wise compared to a his other amps tho. Fender, Vox, Marshall etc etc.

Do people really like these a lot??

To OP, would the offerings from Pedal PalFX Pedals be similar to what you are looking for?
Is Pedal PalFX Pedals an OD pedal or an actual pedal sized amp?

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I always said the obvious market for CODE was a floor pedal without the shitty box and crap speaker(s). The internals of a CODE25 are easily small enough to put in a pedal type box, however, whether or not it's do-able for a DIY conversion is another thing.
I know you have a Code25, can you get good tones out of it that sound like a Marshall? I agree, I've seen pictures of the inside of a Code and theres literally nothing to it, I dont think the 25 has a loop I would need for lead volume boost though, maybe the 50 has one.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Did some quick research on the DRP-1, it looks like to get the best sound is to go out of the line-out not the pre-amp out, problem is the line-out is also the effects loop out jack, thats no good for me cuz I need the effects loop for lead volume boost, ok thats a show stopper, moving on to something else...

Really, the BluGuitar works fine for me (and the Orange as a backup) so I dont really need anything but I thought it would be cool to have a Marshall...

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
I know you have a Code25, can you get good tones out of it that sound like a Marshall? I agree, I've seen pictures of the inside of a Code and theres literally nothing to it, I dont think the 25 has a loop I would need for lead volume boost though, maybe the 50 has one.
To be fair, I think the Code25 sounds decent, for what it is. There are plenty of usable Marshall-esque tones and some interesting others. I wish the headphone out offered a better signal for the effects return of a bigger valve amp. I tried it with the return of my JMD1 50w head and , while it worked okay, it didn't sound as good as I'd hoped. Maybe a project for a rainy day, messing about with it a bit more?

TheKman76

Reaction score
Modelers, thats something I hadnt thought of. Although I do have a Zoom G3Xn which has Marshall models but I cant dial them in worth a $h!t to sound good or anything like the real thing.

Not the same ball park. Maybe look a little harder at modellers, in your application I think this would be far more practical.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
Did some quick research on the DRP-1, it looks like to get the best sound is to go out of the line-out not the pre-amp out, problem is the line-out is also the effects loop out jack, thats no good for me cuz I need the effects loop for lead volume boost, ok thats a show stopper, moving on to something else...

Really, the BluGuitar works fine for me (and the Orange as a backup) so I dont really need anything but I thought it would be cool to have a Marshall...
I don't know what your definition of affordable is, but I use the Fractal AX8 live, and also have a 2nd AX8 for a backup. Fits in a standard laptop bag, along with all my cables and laptop (laptop bag is a wide/thick version). It does it all, amp modeling, great FX, cab simulation (IR's), and goes straight into a digital mixer. Not "cheap", but I paid $600 each for mine (used). Doubt I'll ever need the backup, but like all electronics, anything can fail. So a gig unit and "mirrored" backup for $1200, less than most decent tube heads. In addition to a head, you'd also need a pedalboard of pedals to come close to the same level of capability, and that would still be with no backup if the tube head goes down. Who would want to haul a 2nd tube head around for a backup? Not me.

Last edited: