Small Marshalls

Mrmadd

Reaction score
Thereare so many stomp box approaches to this.
A CODE head of some type would certainly give you the top of heap for Marshll tones in a computer.
Thats what it is. A computer.

Enogh of that.
Here may be an idea you can try.
Marshall MG series small amps actually put out great Marshall tone. Great hi gain tone in a tiny combo.
I have saved mine 10 watters for that purpose. They can sound really good if your applicaton is that tone.

It would be easy to repack one of them in a foot stomp size box. They are small, why repack them.
They are work horses and after you monkey around with them they will produce.
No worries about speakers connected or not, they are little beasts.

Further more they can be purchased for next to nothing.
Good luck.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
A CODE head of some type would certainly give you the top of heap for Marshll tones
CODE25 head... :rofl:

20211218_201455_hdr-s-jpg.99463

Denis St Guinefort

Reaction score
It might have been suggested (sorry if it's the case). One of the recent Marshall pedals through an Electro-Harmonix pedal amp should do the trick. The 44 Magnum pedal amp transforms any distortion or overdrive into a portable amplifier. The same company offers 2 models of these small power amps in pedal form: the 5MM and the above 40W version. I use the small version as a practice amp with a Boss DS-1 into a Marshal 2x12 cab. It sounds great. Other manufacturers offer much more pricey selections though I find the E-H very good and reliable. The 44 and 5 have a bright switch. In my experience, it functions like a set presence. It's a great feature for pedals who do not have a presence control. With my Orange PPC 108 cab, the 5MM with an overdrive or distortion pedal becomes a very portable take out rig where volume isn't necessary.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Thereare so many stomp box approaches to this.
A CODE head of some type would certainly give you the top of heap for Marshll tones in a computer.
Thats what it is. A computer.

Enogh of that.
Here may be an idea you can try.
Marshall MG series small amps actually put out great Marshall tone. Great hi gain tone in a tiny combo.
I have saved mine 10 watters for that purpose. They can sound really good if your applicaton is that tone.

It would be easy to repack one of them in a foot stomp size box. They are small, why repack them.
They are work horses and after you monkey around with them they will produce.
No worries about speakers connected or not, they are little beasts.

Further more they can be purchased for next to nothing.
Good luck.
Yeah I was thinking exactly this with an MG50! I was looking at the old analogue ones that I used to own that sound great ( I had the 100 watt almost 20 years ago), then I noticed the newer digital ones that can save 4 channels. When I get a chance I'll hit the store to try one. :yesway:

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
It might have been suggested (sorry if it's the case). One of the recent Marshall pedals through an Electro-Harmonix pedal amp should do the trick. The 44 Magnum pedal amp transforms any distortion or overdrive into a portable amplifier. The same company offers 2 models of these small power amps in pedal form: the 5MM and the above 40W version. I use the small version as a practice amp with a Boss DS-1 into a Marshal 2x12 cab. It sounds great. Other manufacturers offer much more pricey selections though I find the E-H very good and reliable. The 44 and 5 have a bright switch. In my experience, it functions like a set presence. It's a great feature for pedals who do not have a presence control. With my Orange PPC 108 cab, the 5MM with an overdrive or distortion pedal becomes a very portable take out rig where volume isn't necessary.

This is pretty much what I'm doing now with the Orange and BluGuitar, BluGuitar has the edge cuz its got 3 foot switchable channels.

niazmet

Reaction score

Here it is a secret don't tell anybody but I use their 15Watt Howitzer as a preamp and direct-out when I want to listen clean sounds and do something later and right now I'm considering using its fx loop to put some high gain pedal using both the speaker out as a monitor and the fx loop as a direct out to line level with cabsim. Their Howitzer is very noise friendly, has its own power brick.

To the op the simplest solution and probably cheapest is still this. It has a 45W output at 8ohm and fx loop + direct out to record and monitor:

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
And I bet it can he squeezed down even smaller to a pedal size!
That would take some creative wiring.
The jacks on either side of the faceplate (HP, Aux, FS, USB & Input) are board mounted on PCB's that extend back perpendicular from the control surface.
You could make an enclosure that's a little smaller than the micro head, but not by much.
I'm sure Marshall could redesign the componants to fit a pedal size, but it would be a bit much for a DIY.
20210615_133952 (2)-s.jpg
Here's a pic of the guts from a 50C.
o112-04b.jpg

Honestly, the little 10" CODE25 combo is not all that big and doesn't weigh much.
Might be a reasonable solution for a direct to PA amp with a lot more versatility than most people give it credit for.

Not sure if a pedal format is even necessary, just connect to the 4-button FS and put the amp out of sight.
No need to even touch the amp, I run my CODE through the Gateway app on a phone, tablet or Chromebook.
Touchscreen interface if something needs adjusted.

If having a loop is a must, you could use a CODE100H.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
That would take some creative wiring.
The jacks on either side of the faceplate (HP, Aux, FS, USB & Input) are board mounted on PCB's that extend back perpendicular from the control surface.
You could make an enclosure that's a little smaller than the micro head, but not by much.
I'm sure Marshall could redesign the componants to fit a pedal size, but it would be a bit much for a DIY.
View attachment 136853
Here's a pic of the guts from a 50C.
View attachment 136854

Honestly, the little 10" CODE25 combo is not all that big and doesn't weigh much.
Might be a reasonable solution for a direct to PA amp with a lot more versatility than most people give it credit for.

Not sure if a pedal format is even necessary, just connect to the 4-button FS and put the amp out of sight.
No need to even touch the amp, I run my CODE through the Gateway app on a phone, tablet or Chromebook.
Touchscreen interface if something needs adjusted.

If having a loop is a must, you could use a CODE100H.
I'm still looking at the DRP-1, thanks for the heads up on that! I see plenty of them on the market, I might just grab one to try out. :yesway:

guitarbilly74

Reaction score
Did some quick research on the DRP-1, it looks like to get the best sound is to go out of the line-out not the pre-amp out, problem is the line-out is also the effects loop out jack, thats no good for me cuz I need the effects loop for lead volume boost, ok thats a show stopper, moving on to something else...

Really, the BluGuitar works fine for me (and the Orange as a backup) so I dont really need anything but I thought it would be cool to have a Marshall...

It shouldn't be a show stopper, you just need a signal splitter right before the effects return.

I do that with my Friedman IR-D. After the last pedal in the loop, I use a splitter so the signal goes back to the loop return and also to my power amp.

That said, I also have a BluGuitar and it's a wonderful amp.

The Hughes and Kettner Ampman Classic is great too.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
It shouldn't be a show stopper, you just need a signal splitter right before the effects return.

I do that with my Friedman IR-D. After the last pedal in the loop, I use a splitter so the signal goes back to the loop return and also to my power amp.

That said, I also have a BluGuitar and it's a wonderful amp.

The Hughes and Kettner Ampman Classic is great too.
Yup I figured it out, and the DRP-1 has replaced my BluGuitar.