Small Marshalls

Resident 217

Reaction score
Interesting I googled and looked around -
Laney makes the Floor mounted 60 W guitar amplifier IRONHEART- its small-
Uce seen others too. Like one cdalled the Fly, the Milkman etc,,,but no Marshall
Id think the Laney could be pretty close.
I even saw a new one advertised that was 100 watts! Now that's just outrageous.
I thought 60w was bad, I dont remember the name of that one .
No Marshalls though.

Nadir

Reaction score
[..] I've seen pictures of the inside of a Code and theres literally nothing to it, I dont think the 25 has a loop I would need for lead volume boost though, maybe the 50 has one.
I agree with you, Code25 components can easily be mounted into a pedal size box (that is what I eventually will do one of these days ... controls on the upper panel are a PITA).

Please note that no CODE version has the loop. It would have little sense, effects are already available. Instead It has its dedicated footswitch to control the effects.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Interesting I googled and looked around -
Laney makes the Floor mounted 60 W guitar amplifier IRONHEART- its small-
Uce seen others too. Like one cdalled the Fly, the Milkman etc,,,but no Marshall
Id think the Laney could be pretty close.
I even saw a new one advertised that was 100 watts! Now that's just outrageous.
I thought 60w was bad, I dont remember the name of that one .
No Marshalls though.
The BluGuitar I'm currently using is 100 watts and has a half power mode which is what I'm using. Im just surprised Marshall isnt in this market. Marshall should make an updated DRP-1.

Last edited:

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
I like this idea but a DSL1 would need a speaker load since its a tube power section.
I think not...

at least, in the original DSL1 (50th Ann) the design has an L-Pad attenuator, which makes it 100% safe w/o anything plugged into the speaker out jack.

I think also, you can plug headphones into the output & use it that way...

from the current DSL1 handbook:

>> DSL1 HANDBOOK <<

1695139553049.png

simple... buy the head & NEVER hook up a speaker cable...

& for my original source:

No, you are mixing concepts here.

let's start with the 1W amps. The first three, JTM1 / JPM1 / JCM1, have an internal load and a series resistor with the speaker to attenuate the power. That means that when you plug them into a line input you will see a rather high voltage as the external load impedance it is quite high. Theoretically you will put approx 6V peak into whatever you connect them if you use the 16ohm output, approx 4Vpeak if you use the 8ohm output. That's more than enough to overdrive 9V powered stompboxes and some FX return in amplifiers even in the +4dB setting.

The DSL1 and JVM1 use an L-attenuator that serves both as load and output voltage attenuator so those will deliver an output voltage that is much more independent of the input impedance of whatever you connect them to, being the voltage more or less constant an approx 1.8V peak. This is the reason why the DSL1 and JVM1 use a combined single output speaker and don't need to be switched into 0.1W to operate safely without load.

The YJM/AFD have none of those, it is a completely different concept. If you plug the YJM/AFD output into a line input you are basically operating the amplifier without load and that's the reason to use an external resistor load (20ohm is just fine). If you don't use the external resistor chances are that nothing will happen when the Power setting is very low but if for whatever reason the power pot is moved you may blow the input circuitry of whatever you are connecting it to.
(added bold & color for emphasis)

Last edited:

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I think not...

at least, in the original DSL1 (50th Ann) the design has an L-Pad attenuator, which makes it 100% safe w/o anything plugged into the speaker out jack.

I think also, you can plug headphones into the output & use it that way...

from the current DSL1 handbook:

>> DSL1 HANDBOOK <<

View attachment 136695

simple... buy the head & NEVER hook up a speaker cable...

& for my original source:

(added bold & color for emphasis)
This might be the answer, its got an emulated out! I might have to pick one of these up at GC to try, thanks! :yesway:

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
&... the point about never hooking up a speaker, IIRC, is, because the L-pad is connected when there's no speaker plug in the output jack. The attenuator disconnects, when you plug a speaker in...

Last edited:

Resident 217

Reaction score
The BluGuitar I'm currently using is 100 watts and has a half power mode which is what I'm using. Im just surprised Marshall isnt in this market. Marshall should make an updated DRP-1.
I looked up the specs on the BluGuitar Amp 1. Seems pretty great as far as features.
And like the BluGuitar amp no computer stuff. that separate BluBox Speaker Emulator looks very useful too.
I like stuff that's simple and functions old school studio style better if it has no USBs and version updates and stuff.
Seems a nice and compact set up.

Marshall should team up with Modal Electronics and design something they have great sounding boards and effects.
What Marshall could do is just make a small high power amp pedal and offer several models of their preamps that you can swap in and out.
I like that blubox digital spkr idea too. I may have to look into both of those .
Does the set up sound as good as any reviews that are out there?
Do you have the Blubox? I see it has a couple Marshall voice emulations.

Last edited:

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
Atomic makes the Amplifire, similar to some of the other options.

Resident 217

Reaction score
Amplifire is similar perhaps but it isn't a stand alone amplifier in that you can get output from a speaker.
You would need a separate power amp to hear it.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
Amplifire is similar perhaps but it isn't a stand alone amplifier in that you can get output from a speaker.
You would need a separate power amp to hear it.
True, but the OP said he goes direct and was looking at options for that application.

OP..."I gig these and plug them into my band's IEM system, no cabs."

Of course, the thread title is "Small Marshalls?", so technically, anything non-Marshall doesn't "fit".

Last edited:

Resident 217

Reaction score
True, but the OP said he goes direct and was looking at options for that application.

OP..."I gig these and plug them into my band's IEM system, no cabs."

Of course, the thread title is "Small Marshalls?", so technically, anything non-Marshall doesn't "fit".
Oh yeah I forgot. or didnt read it. Like plugging into the house system.
I think some are just using laptops these days. Some can use their I phones/pads too.
There's so much tech out there and changing quickly too.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
My buddy with a studio has an Iridium and some full range fancy speakers for it. He likes it as a quick grab and go option.

It’s not very impressive sound wise compared to a his other amps tho. Fender, Vox, Marshall etc etc.

Do people really like these a lot??

To OP, would the offerings from Pedal PalFX Pedals be similar to what you are looking for?
Through a standard cab they sound great for higher gain. They are not a modeller they are analogue. Perhaps that is the issue? He should use a regular cab IMO.

There are videos comparing to a JCM800 with an SD1 up front amd essentially no difference. Mine has very good low end and thump, the EQ is extremely responsive. For balls out high gain, it competes very well with many of my tube amps.
As an example, for a small amp the little Peavey 6505MH is lacking the girth of the bigger amps. The Iridium easily kicks it in that regard.

See below!! I agree completely.
I got the Remote 1 for mine so I have a separate MV, power soak, etc.
I looked up the specs on the BluGuitar Amp 1. Seems pretty great as far as features.
And like the BluGuitar amp no computer stuff. that separate BluBox Speaker Emulator looks very useful too.
I like stuff that's simple and functions old school studio style better if it has no USBs and version updates and stuff.
Seems a nice and compact set up.

Marshall should team up with Modal Electronics and design something they have great sounding boards and effects.
What Marshall could do is just make a small high power amp pedal and offer several models of their preamps that you can swap in and out.
I like that blubox digital spkr idea too. I may have to look into both of those .
Does the set up sound as good as any reviews that are out there?
Do you have the Blubox? I see it has a couple Marshall voice emulations.

svinyard

Reaction score
Through a standard cab they sound great for higher gain. They are not a modeller they are analogue. Perhaps that is the issue? He should use a regular cab IMO.

There are videos comparing to a JCM800 with an SD1 up front amd essentially no difference. Mine has very good low end and thump, the EQ is extremely responsive. For balls out high gain, it competes very well with many of my tube amps.
As an example, for a small amp the little Peavey 6505MH is lacking the girth of the bigger amps. The Iridium easily kicks it in that regard.

See below!! I agree completely.
I got the Remote 1 for mine so I have a separate MV, power soak, etc.
Whoa…no difference between the Iridium and a booster JCM800??

Wow…I need to try and run that thing through my cab. That sounds very much so too good to be true tho…but I’ve not tested that setup. I did A/B directly on some 1000+$ FR speakers to a TSL122 with the volume baaarely on. And that Marshall TSL122 killed it…and that amp is good but not a legend, especially at the ultra low volume (it’s 100w amp). The iridium had a nice crisp crunch but no depth of tone to my ears at least. I’ll run it through my 1965a sometime soon tho and see how it goes.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Whoa…no difference between the Iridium and a booster JCM800??

Wow…I need to try and run that thing through my cab. That sounds very much so too good to be true tho…but I’ve not tested that setup. I did A/B directly on some 1000+$ FR speakers to a TSL122 with the volume baaarely on. And that Marshall TSL122 killed it…and that amp is good but not a legend, especially at the ultra low volume (it’s 100w amp). The iridium had a nice crisp crunch but no depth of tone to my ears at least. I’ll run it through my 1965a sometime soon tho and see how it goes.
The TSL does sound really good. I personally wouldn't run that through an FR system.
I used mine with an SC212 cab and it sounded awesome. A lil too much high end at FOH.

svinyard

Reaction score
In a mix way harder to tell....

That's really good! I've never played with one of those.

So...lol...I was talking about the Strymon Iridium (which emulates a Marshall amongst others...and is decent). I think that is WAY different than this BlueGuitar Iridium. My bad

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
That's really good! I've never played with one of those.

So...lol...I was talking about the Strymon Iridium (which emulates a Marshall amongst others...and is decent). I think that is WAY different than this BlueGuitar Iridium. My bad
Ooooh. Ok. Yip different critter!
Carry on

Mike_LA

Reaction score
Please note that no CODE version has the loop. It would have little sense, effects are already available.,
Unless you need to put your looper in a loop so you can isolate the sounds that you are using independent of the main amp.
Any amp without a loop is pretty much useless to me for live work.