so i noticed that celestions made in china are not that easy to tell

• Thread starter smallaxe
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

smallaxe

Reaction score
hi there,
so i was looking at speakers for my 2x12. i bought a 65amps cab and low and behold the speakers are made in china. it is really not that obvious. i had to open the cab and look at the speaker. it has a sticker saying made in china. it is a heritage series 75th g12h30. makes me wonder.:scratch:

AudioWonderland

Reaction score
hi there,
so i was looking at speakers for my 2x12. i bought a 65amps cab and low and behold the speakers are made in china. it is really not that obvious. i had to open the cab and look at the speaker. it has a sticker saying made in china. it is a heritage series 75th g12h30. makes me wonder.:scratch:

Wonder about what? Celestion made the speakers and labeled them properly. They did not make the cab and have no control over how it was labeled.

John BNY

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe most Celestions are now made in Asia, but I personally have very little concern about where a speaker is made. I either get the tones I like out of it, or I don't. And I'll play through the speakers I like, regardless of where it's made.

smallaxe

Reaction score
i hear all of you, i know they are not poor quality. i was just wondering how they make it so it is not that easy to tell and leave people really not knowing that its made in china. the sounds are excellent. when i bought the cab that was made in the usa i was hoping for UK speakers, but they went chinese. fine by me. its just the marketing aspect i guess and cost reduction.

Australian

Green Beret
VIP Member
Reaction score
i hear all of you, i know they are not poor quality. i was just wondering how they make it so it is not that easy to tell and leave people really not knowing that its made in china. the sounds are excellent. when i bought the cab that was made in the usa i was hoping for UK speakers, but they went chinese. fine by me. its just the marketing aspect i guess and cost reduction.

The Chinese ones have MSG on the cone.
No seriously.
The Made in China ones have 'Celestion International LTD' on the label like this: Celestion Vintage 30 Classic Speaker User Reviews at zZounds

The Made in the UK celestions have "Made in England" etc.

anitoli

Reaction score
Celestion have a reputation to uphold, their Chinese speakers are just as good as their UK made ones.

Quite amazing that people still don't think Asians can manufacture electronic stuff with high quality. Where do they think half of this stuff comes from? As long as the company enforces QC it will be as good as when made somewhere else.

Blacque Jacque

Reaction score
Quite amazing that people still don't think Asians can manufacture electronic stuff with high quality. Where do they think half of this stuff comes from? As long as the company enforces QC it will be as good as when made somewhere else.

Precisely.

I admit *I* was sceptical at first, but having had the opportunity to compare Chinese & UK made Celestions directly, I am perfectly satisfied that their QC is spot on.

As long as they maintain that level, there should be no problems.

anitoli

Reaction score
Precisely.

I admit *I* was sceptical at first, but having had the opportunity to compare Chinese & UK made Celestions directly, I am perfectly satisfied that their QC is spot on.

As long as they maintain that level, there should be no problems.

The only thing I don't like about it is the outsourcing of jobs from the domestic markets. But unfortunately in order to maintain competitive position in the market while income levels in the same markets are stagnant and or falling there really is no other option.

smallaxe

Reaction score
im not saying asian cant make quality goods like electronics. thats not the point. the point is that it is very misleading i guess when u cant tell where the speaker is made and all the labeling refers to celestion uk

george76

Reaction score
Are you sure these are heritage speakers? the heritage line are supposed to be UK made speakers. got any photos of them?

DaDoc

Reaction score
Rancho Deluxe, Montana..3rd stone from the sun
This is a question I was intending to ask myself. So now I know-Thanks!

As far as the Chinese QC, I'm sure it's very good. As has already been mentioned, Celestion has a reputation to maintain.

My problem with the whole thing is also something that has already been mentioned, and that is the fact domestic jobs have gone overseas and put a lot of folks out of work so that various big corporations can maximize profits by exploiting cheap labor. I remember when all this started we were told by the politicos that it would "Bring us quality goods at cheaper prices!"

Horse hockey. The prices never went down, in fact they went up. And nearly all the manufacturing went out of the country (At least it did here in the U.S.) and put a huge segment of our population out of work. It's hard for someone who's unemployed to afford to buy anything, imported or not. And although Chinese Celestion speakers may still maintain a high degree of quality, I have noticed as a general rule the quality of imported goods is nowhere near as good as when it was being made in-country. Clothing sized wrong and buttons that fall off within a week of purchase, shoes that fall apart after wearing them a month, soft low-quality steel, food that's treated with poisons that were outlawed here years ago, electronic components that crumble shortly after installation, the list could go on forever. And in addition, there's now hardly any accountability for shoddy goods when they fall apart, after all they're being made thousands of miles away. The worst part however..Is hardly anyone seems to care anymore.

That's why I try to avoid buying a lot of imported stuff. Although that's becoming harder to do with each passing year.

OK, rant over.

mk2 steve

Reaction score
there's now hardly any accountability for shoddy goods when they fall apart, after all they're being made thousands of miles away. The worst part however..Is hardly anyone seems to care anymore.

That's why I try to avoid buying a lot of imported stuff. Although that's becoming harder to do with each passing year.

OK, rant over.

You realise Marshall amps and the original UK made Celestions are imports and made thousands of miles away from you too right?

Swede

Reaction score
Considering 99.9% of all the other electronics the OP owns is made in China or Asia as a whole...Im sure you be fine with those speakers too.

Blueslicks

Reaction score
hi there,

The 75hz 70th Anniversary G12H-30 are not the UK made Heritage line.

DaDoc

Reaction score
Rancho Deluxe, Montana..3rd stone from the sun
You realise Marshall amps and the original UK made Celestions are imports and made thousands of miles away from you too right?

Of course. And I suppose my post came across as more than a little ambiguous, sorry about that. I have no problem with British-made imports- There's always been an extremely high degree of quality there, and where else could one get Marshall amps? Or Vox? Or Hiwatt? I Don't have any problem with European imports from places like Germany, Sweden, or Italy either. Some of the best automobiles in the world come from Europe! And the Mexican imported stuff that we get here is for the most part very good quality. The Fender Strats coming from Mexico in particular are very good, in fact a lot of the early ones seem as good or better than their American counterparts.

There is however, a lot of what amounts to crap coming here in the area of textiles, steel, electronics, and food in particular, and it ain't any cheaper either! And I know wayyy too many people who lost their jobs due to corporations moving manufacturing overseas. But oh well, I guess that's just the world we live in nowadays.

Salsg

Reaction score
If the government and labor laws plus overall business unfriendliness were less restrictive or even punishing then maybe there would be less outsourcing too. Really, what is going so wrong that it's so much to cheaper to manufacture and ship across the world than to make locally.
so don't go off and blame corporate greed. That isn't the only factor.

Btw, chinese celestions sound the same as the previously UK made versions. Allow for proper break in

anitoli

Reaction score
If the government and labor laws plus overall business unfriendliness were less restrictive or even punishing then maybe there would be less outsourcing too. Really, what is going so wrong that it's so much to cheaper to manufacture and ship across the world than to make locally.
so don't go off and blame corporate greed. That isn't the only factor.

Btw, chinese celestions sound the same as the previously UK made versions. Allow for proper break in

Labor laws equal better wages and working conditions and environmental laws equal less destruction of our one and only environment.

So yes it primarily boils down to greed, considering most of the companies that outsourced never reflected the cost savings in their prices. Marshall is actually passing that off to the consumer with the Vietnam DSL for $899.
This is rare with current US corporate mentality.

Latest posts