so i noticed that celestions made in china are not that easy to tell

• Thread starter smallaxe
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GIBSON67

Reaction score
They are all Celestions and will have to go through Celestion QC before being released to ship, anywhere.

And I doubt anyone could hear the difference...enjoy your cab and stop worrying!

EndGame00

Reaction score
Quite amazing that people still don't think Asians can manufacture electronic stuff with high quality. Where do they think half of this stuff comes from? As long as the company enforces QC it will be as good as when made somewhere else.

Consumers tend to shy away from a product or brand name that has a reputation of bad QC issue... Even if the quality of the build of the Chinese Celestion is up-to-par with their UK counterpart, people would still think it's crap...

When guitar players say "Bugera" - one word that comes with it: crap.

poeman33

Reaction score
I agree they sound great. I wonder about how long they will last. Almost everything I have that is made in China...which is almost everything nowadays...desintigrates. Things just don't last long. It's always some story about corruption in some factory and that is why stuff is crap, or poisons people. But so far, so good...

I just hope the Celestion factory workers didn't have to run that "mandatory" marathon in in Beijing last weekend. Did you see the air? How can people live with smog so bad you can hardly see in front of you?

soundboy57

Reaction score
Labor laws equal better wages and working conditions and environmental laws equal less destruction of our one and only environment.

So yes it primarily boils down to greed, considering most of the companies that outsourced never reflected the cost savings in their prices. Marshall is actually passing that off to the consumer with the Vietnam DSL for $899.
This is rare with current US corporate mentality.

Marshall isn't "passing on the savings", they are competing with other companies in a cheaper market, by design, and necessity.

Having owned a business for 30 years, I wholeheartedly disagree with the rest of the post, too.

When you own a business, your primary goal is to make a profit.
There should be laws and regulations to protect the environment, but not at the total destruction of business/manufacturing, which is just about what has happened.
You want high wages, health care, and a perfect environment....so gouge the owner, saddle him with regulations/taxes/labor costs he can't afford, and he gives you the big middle finger and moves to Asia.
Big surprise.

I don't know what you do, but I assure you there would be no paycheck for you if someone else above you didn't agree with what I wrote.
Unless, of course, you work for the government.

Also, Marshall is a UK based company, so comparing them to "current US Corporate mentality" makes no sense.
If you were aware of the gradual cheapening of the construction/parts in Marshall cabs in the decade 1969-1979, or compare a 1973 handwired head to a TSL/DSL 30 years later....they do have the same mentality....to cut costs and make more profit.

Hijack over...:D

Last edited:

old lefty

Reaction score
i own a sony tv made in china, i own a toshiba blue ray, made in china,even the japanese are outsourcing it has been caused by companies in this and other countries being greedy at the health of cheap labor sure there is quality control so what china has whole cities that are empty no one there... just using up all the profit made from the cheap labor force we sold out 30 years ago just now noticing?sam walton said my goal is to put a wal-mart in every city in this country now wal-mart is slowly raising prices so you don't notice. the ole lady goes there only for stuff she can get a a lower price than anywhere else she wen't in there last week and remembered we needed butter hiland dairy butter was $4.68 she put it back and went to the grocer around the corner $2.99 for same brand same product people do not even look at what they are buying impulse buying is what wal-mart depends on i saw the new apple i phone the other day $600.00 for a damn phone but it takes pictures and i can text so the guy next to me can't tell what i am sayin but good ole uncle sam can.............we did it to ourselves so this is what we got . screwed. so how do we fix it think about it????? my nokia 1600 works just fine made in nokia land years ago i take pictures with my nokia camera i don't need a damn computer in my hand to get thru the day so i won't blow my brains out if i miss a text leave a message on my machine at the house on my landline and if you do call you better leave a message damn it....think about it? do you need it that bad...... went in to g.c. the other day they has a used jay turser strat for $179.00 the damn thing only costs $149.00 brand new every piece of used gear they had was priced at retail or close to it. look at what you do and what you are doing before you do it.....just thinkin out loud i ran a h-d repair business for 15 years i bought american made products they are there and i had happy customers with quality parts they paid every work order with out a complaint it can be done you just have to have pride and integrity in your business and your product then we can live the dream our folks did instead of whinin about everything...

Blueslicks

Reaction score
*so i noticed that celestions made in china are not that easy to sell*

Fixed.

old lefty

Reaction score
that's the ticket see how easy that was damn a poet that didn't know it!!!! actually that would fix it.stop buyin the crap.sooner or later they will either change their ways or bite the bullet.i just noticed my bose computer speakers are made in china. got em at goodwill for $5.00 they sell for over $100.00 and they sell the crap out of em.they sound ok but not much better than the $20.00 cheap ones i had. just picked em up the other day.my ole mc intoshes and ole phase linear and ole cerwin- vegas will blow the roof offa this house. my marshall was made in england and the celestions too. but it is particle board cab.

Salsg

Reaction score
Oh the high and mighty labor laws to save the world. I wish it were true but it isn't.

Greed is on the side of the likes of Al gore and unions and all those types too but they've successfully duped the people

Lily_Taeko74

Reaction score
In the year 2112 what are guitar players throwing a fit about ? Celestions made on Mars or on the Moon ? Take your pick on that one :applause:I don't care where a speaker is made as long as its built well, sounds good and priced right

Australian

Green Beret
VIP Member
Reaction score
*so i noticed that celestions made in china are not that easy to sell*

Fixed.

Very true! I recently sold a Chinese V30 for $70(it took a while to sell). Four months ago I sold a pair of UK V30's for $120 each(these sold easily).

GIBSON67

Reaction score
I would agree...second hand selling price is the only real difference between UK made and Chinese made Celestions.

craiguitar

Reaction score
Ive seen plenty of adverts from folks selling 'UK made' Celestions, using the 'Made in UK' part as a misguided selling point. That's really where the whole topic stems from.
Two identical speakers manufactured in two different factories at opposite sides of the planet. Both look the same, and both sound the same. However one is seen to be more valuable / desirable than the other?
It's all hype. Put it this way, If Celestion thought for a minute that the quality of their product would drop if they outsourced production, they simply wouldn't have done it.

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
Very true! I recently sold a Chinese V30 for $70(it took a while to sell). Four months ago I sold a pair of UK V30's for $120 each(these sold easily).

Same here...I've actually been considering selling all my vintage & U.K. made Celestions, buying Chinese and pocketing the difference, 'coz most of the time I can't tell the difference.

SonVolt

VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive seen plenty of adverts from folks selling 'UK made' Celestions, using the 'Made in UK' part as a misguided selling point. That's really where the whole topic stems from.
Two identical speakers manufactured in two different factories at opposite sides of the planet. Both look the same, and both sound the same. However one is seen to be more valuable / desirable than the other?
It's all hype. Put it this way, If Celestion thought for a minute that the quality of their product would drop if they outsourced production, they simply wouldn't have done it.

It may be hype, it may not - but I do find value in "Made in USA", "Made in UK" etc. There's nothing sexy about "Made in China".

The Celestionsin Mesa cabs are still made in the UK.

mtm105

Reaction score
Are EVH Greenies Made in China??

The Heritage goes for $199 and EVH Greenies are a virtual clone and sell for $149. Logic tells me MIC.

yladrd61

Reaction score
Well I sure am happy that we still build the best Airplanes in the world right here in Seattle, Washington, with Union Labor !!!! And the Chinese buy more of them than anyone else, they also go shopping at Costco and pack the Cargo hold with consumer goods that they can't buy there !!!! And Environmental and Safety regulations allow us to build a higher quality safer product that continually uses less resources and burns less fuel than the competition.....

temporarychicken

Reaction score

That's fascinating.

What, in your opinion were the differences between the Asian V30 and the UK-made V30, with regards tone and build quality?

Were these both manufactured around similar dates, or were the UK ones "vintage - vintage 30s" if you know what I mean, in that they were old.

According to the Celestion website the Vintage 30 has been made since 1986.

And it's not 30 watts, it's 60, so heaven knows where the '30' moniker comes from.

stargazer76

Reaction score
Yes, I buy chinese crap....hard to avoid if you don't have a lot of money. Also yes, it's not all crap, they do make some quality products. BUT, they are still a communist regime that cares not a bit about poisoning their environment and their population. They abuse the human rights of there people...and we don't care, our corperations don't either. If it wasn't for unions and the EPA, US corperations and business would practice the same...shoot, just look back to the early 20th century. Seven day, 12 hour work weeks, etc. Up to the 1960's air and water pollution was widespread and prolific. So a company that pays minimum wage, makes billions of dollars, pays its CEO millions crys that it can't afford the cost to operate here, then sets up shop in China or India? No sympathy. UK over China any day.
Done.