• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Soft Rock .......

• Thread starter AlvisX
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

levon

Reaction score
Not really. Stuff like The Eagles and CSN bore me senseless. I mean there are a lot of great soft rock tunes, but I'd rather listen than play that stuff. I like stuff more along the lines of Boston, Journey, Cheap Trick, Ratt, Zeppelin - stuff with pizzazz and sizzle and showmanship. Stuff that's unique.

However, I did cut my teeth on guitar in the early days by improvising to the local Smooth Jazz radio station. That music could be diverse and the songs were often longer than Pat Benatar's 3-minute Rock radio spank.

Funny how taste differs, I love CSN, amazing stuff. Those vocals are one of a kind. Guess it's not for everyone. Me, I'm bored senseless by AC/DC and Metallica.

poeman33

Reaction score
I thought Journey was soft rock? Boston too?
Labels confuse me. Is Neil Young soft rock? Dylan? What's the difference between soft rock, folk rock and Americana? :scratch::lol:

It's all a matter of perception. With exception to the extreme ends of both styles, what is soft rock to us Marshall heads, is hard rock to some people.

BlackSG91

Reaction score
I felt really sorry for him with that one. Apparently he only whipped that off quickly, and had every intention of going back and recording a proper one. But within hours, Mickey Most had it produced, mastered and sent off.

I'd have been mortified if THAT solo had gone out under my name. I don't think I'd have ever recovered.

I still like it.;) I know it's not his best stuff, but this sounded pretty raw and off the top. He can always re-record that song on another album, but this original does the trick. I like the album cover as it looks like he switched to a Stratocaster at least around 1967. I know for a fact he was blown away by Jimi and wanted to quit guitar playing altogether, but as you know he persevered. He has tons of music to listen too.;)

BlackSG91

Reaction score
Does anyone remember Garth Gaines?:scratch::ugh:

garth00.jpg

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7uXAEe-ltk]Driftin' Away - YouTube[/ame]