Sold my 1960A!!

• Thread starter Pat6969
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Pat6969

Reaction score
Opened up my 1960A and my Traynor YCS412A2 to do some speaker swapping. Immediately closed up the Marshall and sold it!! Lol. Build quality of the Traynor is twice the Marshall, and for over $300 less! I just ordered the straight version. I'm a huge Marshall fan so this kind of pi$$ed me off. I guess in this case you definitely pay for the name.

shredless

Reaction score
surface-troll-tuna-fishing-method.jpg

BrentD

Reaction score
Did you swap the speakers before selling, or did you just feel disappointed by what you saw in the Marshall and close it up without swapping?

Platner

Reaction score
Opened up my 1960A and my Traynor YCS412A2 to do some speaker swapping. Immediately closed up the Marshall and sold it!! Lol. Build quality of the Traynor is twice the Marshall, and for over $300 less! I just ordered the straight version. I'm a huge Marshall fan so this kind of pi$$ed me off. I guess in this case you definitely pay for the name.

What year was the cab made?

Bieling3

Reaction score
Anything specific? "build quality" could mean just about anything... you didn't like the overspray? What? How'd they compare, sound-wise?

Adrian R

Reaction score
Yup, the newer Marshall cabs are built sloppy...I was really pissed about how my 05' 1960 cab was built.... Crappy particle board back..cheap plastic handles and back plate...The center brace was inadequately installed..and loose...Screws were driven in at poor angles... I was able to rectify all of this though...Now my 1960 from 05' is a decent cab..did away with the particle board back, made a birch one..fixed all the other probs.

My 800 1960 cab from the mid-80s was built with far better care..and as such, sounds great..

Marshall should be ashamed of themselves,these price points USE to be well built products..apparently not so much anymore. I have come to the conclusion that Marshall, 'as a biz first', tries to maintain price points to keep market share...and by doing this they cut corners big time...

They still make quality gear..you'll just pay for it... Look at their heritage series amps and cabs...far better built, and twice as much price wise..

soundboy57

Reaction score

fat-man-on-the-computer.jpeg

soundboy57

Reaction score
Just a troll I found a picture of. No offense. Without details, bashing something
is easy...especially if you never actually listened to it with different speakers.
I agree with Adrian too, but he has done a lot of homework and tried them all, and had to give the thread a point.

Pat6969

Reaction score
OK, I have a new one and it sucks, lol!! If it sucks, it sucks, I guess that is the point. I love my HJS but the cab is sub par. I'm not trying to stir up all you Marshall lovers, just stating the fact! Center brace was almost falling off, plastic handles, big gaps in the joints where the baffle joins the rest of the cab, MDF back. I'm thinking if a guy pays $1100 for a cab it should have some decent quality to it.

To the dork who thinks I'm a troll, why don't you look at other posts I've made on Marshallforum and make an informed decision before you post drivel. If anyone's a troll you are for adding zero to the thread so get lost!! No offense!

Pat6969

Reaction score
I will point out that this all can be fixed but to hell if I'm going to spend time fixing an $1100 cab. I paid $770 for the Traynor and its more solid, build better, and sound better with the same speakers, and I have to do nothing to it. Im not really sure if anyone can argue that Mesa, Orange and Traynor are building better cabs. I haven't tried the older Marshall cabs but this thread must be about the newer ones.

Marshallmaniac

Reaction score
To me this post is a little overlooked. Just because one can looks sturdier than the other certainly doesn't mean it automatically sounds better. Particle board backs can sound better on certain cabs (yes, price doesn't automatically assume sound quality. In fact its unwise to even think this way)

Sometimes we must remove our eyes and sense of learned 'wisdom' and simply listen. As the guy in their loungeroom does with a compact disc. He probably never ever began to wonder what your cabinet had for a backing board

Bieling3

Reaction score
Center brace was almost falling off, plastic handles, big gaps in the joints where the baffle joins the rest of the cab, MDF back. I'm thinking if a guy pays $1100 for a cab it should have some decent quality to it.

Who the hell pays $1110 for a 1960A?! They're $835.99 at Musician's Friend. Plastic handles, mdf back? Same construction since like 1973 or earlier. And I guarantee you're paying less when adjusted for inflation than those who purchased Marshall cabs 30-40 years ago.

Pat6969

Reaction score
Who the hell pays $1110 for a 1960A?! They're $835.99 at Musician's Friend. Plastic handles, mdf back? Same construction since like 1973 or earlier. And I guarantee you're paying less when adjusted for inflation than those who purchased Marshall cabs 30-40 years ago.

.....and again, do a little research bro, I'm in Canada. I pay $1100 for a 19060A. And I'm almost positive guys are saying the older one had a ply back: anyway, too much change for me, I'll go elsewhere for a good cab.

gjohnson

Reaction score
Sounds like you need to leave the Marshall forum and go join the Traynor forum!