Soldano SLO 100

• Thread starter NewReligion
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rmlevasseur

Reaction score
The SLO is my primary amp and always was in my gigging days. It is a tough beast to tame. When i bought it I did not want a Marshall, and frankly it just isn't one. For so few eq controls, it is amazing how much different sound they put out. VH, Ratt, Knoppfler, Aerosmith, i mean the list goes on and on. It is also indestructible. Ten years of heavy gigging and another five of bedroom use and never so much as a crackle. Just dont use it with whatever eminence speaker Soldano was putting in their stock cab. Yuck.

Marshall's do have a certain soul (at east the old ones) that the slo cant touch, just like old Fender's do. The slo may have been built for the desire for a high gain marshall but it became its own thing.

I have heard people describe it as sterile, but i always thought of it more as a white page. It's up to the player to color it, as opposed to something like a Recto that always sounds like a Recto despite player nuance.

S9X

Reaction score
Soldano also used V30 back in early 90s. I had 412 straight loaded w/ V30s some years ago (made in 92-93 not sure, I bought it used) and it sounded just killer. HUGE bottom end, and not harsh upper mids at all. Very different from typical V30s. Now it gets funny - after I sold it to a friend, he had discovered that previous (first) owner disconnected one speaker, rest was wired series/parallel. Sort of 312 with passive cone. Never tried it with SLO, I had Hot Rod 50 (single channel), but it sounded pretty good, and that trick may be useful for sb.

zachman

Reaction score
Yeah I saw it said Zach and after watching the playing I think so too. I've seen that vid before too. Just never noticed. I'm use to seeing him at his place or the store in his vids.

Wow, that was a long time ago. Ya, that's me. It's REALLY awkward playing while someone is twisting knobs randomly.

zachman

Reaction score
When.he breaks out in VH tunes that shit sounds horribly thin. Almost like a trap door where all the mids fell thru like wile e' coyote standing over a cliff. Poof! That right there is what brought me back to the ol school hotrodded marshall circuit.

Ya, instead of dialing IN the sound to match what I was playing, it seemed almost instinctively that Ed would dial in the exact opposite of what we'd want. Very strange to try playing while someone is doing that to the gain and tone while you're jamming.

The high gain stuff was cool. Very stiff feeling amp, compared to a plexi. Very bright amp too. The clean channel (didn't like it)

bulldozer1984

Everybody's Favorite Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow, that was a long time ago. Ya, that's me. It's REALLY awkward playing while someone is twisting knobs randomly.

Yeh ive had people turn knobs while im playing and when something sounds bad i just stop and tell em to piss off. Cant do that while shooting a demo can ya ?? haha

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

The playing's great man...it's the amp I don't care for and you saying its stiff is exactly what I here too. I jus prefer the Plexi feel and tone much more. The SLO has this lack of Marshall in it and it puts me off a bit so its a different animal and I prefer something else. I do enjoy other amps though. Maybe its kind of a sterile saturation with the SLO...I'm not sure...a hollowness in the mids...fuck I don't know?LOL

Dude was all over the place EQing and saturating so it never hit a good zone for long.

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score
Okay...no more bashing from me....I dig the Friedman and Cameron circuits which IMO best compliments the Marshall intent. Amazing intellectual properties indeed.

Played a Pink Taco, it was cool and damn near bought it but got home and fired up the Cameron's etc...Damn, at all levels of volume pure smooth bliss. Just can't do the buzz/fizz...that is what turned me off of the EVH III. Greg Howe has a Sig out called the Maragold...check it out. 2 channel and very affordable. Quite a killer amp to say the least.

David ♫

custom53

Reaction score
I don't know if anyone else had this problem with their Soldano's, but my HR50+ seems to go thru tubes a lot more than any of my other amps. To my ears the tone changes after 10 to 12 months ever since my first tube change... Install new tubes and bias and it is back to "normal" sounding great..

mickeydg5

Reaction score
The middle east of the united states of America
Okay...no more bashing from me....I dig the Friedman and Cameron circuits which IMO best compliments the Marshall intent. Amazing intellectual properties indeed.

Played a Pink Taco, it was cool and damn near bought it but got home and fired up the Cameron's etc...Damn, at all levels of volume pure smooth bliss. Just can't do the buzz/fizz...that is what turned me off of the EVH III. Greg Howe has a Sig out called the Maragold...check it out. 2 channel and very affordable. Quite a killer amp to say the least.

David ♫
Please explain the buzz/fizz thing. Do you like it or not like it? You said cannot do; does that mean you cannot do or the amplifier cannot do?

When I think of buzz or fizz in a good way the thoughts of Jimi (fizz or fuzz) and Dimebag (buzz) come to mind. I love those sounds and tone. So please describe the situations with these amplifiers.

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score
Please explain the buzz/fizz thing. Do you like it or not like it? You said cannot do; does that mean you cannot do or the amplifier cannot do?

When I think of buzz or fizz in a good way the thoughts of Jimi (fizz or fuzz) and Dimebag (buzz) come to mind. I love those sounds and tone. So please describe the situations with these amplifiers.

"Can not do" translates to will not tolerate the shitty normal buzy fizzy distortion of for example a stock DSL etc... I am aware that you know the difference between quality saturated signals i.e. Friedman vs DSL...in fact it is what drives me away from a stock 2203/2204 and a pedal...still can not do the buzzy fizzy cheap sounding stiff nasty circuit.

I am convinced it is a scam to just keep guitarist chasing their tails after the latest and greatest next best thing. IMO I am fortunate and have surrounded my self with great saturated roaring amps...Diezel VH4/Cameron/Friedman modded Marshall Improvements.

If I have offended anyone I do apologize but I have been chasing Saturated tones for over 42 years and have founds the circuit mods that make those in the studio happening tones occur live at home at conversation level or loud as hell on stage.

And thank you Mickey for all of the lessons. David ♫

LIVE / ALL NO PEDALS:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8R-XnixsfM[/ame]

SAME AMP HOME LOW LEVEL:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H12qoOGvH28[/ame]

Last edited:

mickeydg5

Reaction score
Dude you can never offend. I do not think it is in you. You never disappoint.

It just was not clear in the original statement. I figured what you meant but wanted it to be clear.
You meant the bad fizz or buzz as some over doing, over processing and some not so ideal tube or solid state type situations sound like.

Also you are welcome and I must thank you, a valued member and contributor here.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am convinced it is a scam to just keep guitarist chasing their tails after the latest and greatest next best thing. IMO I am fortunate and have surrounded my self with great saturated roaring amps...Diezel VH4/Cameron/Friedman modded Marshall Improvements.

LIVE / ALL NO PEDALS:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8R-XnixsfM

SAME AMP HOME LOW LEVEL:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H12qoOGvH28

:hmm: you may be right about that. Enuff tone to set the hook yet we can't keep them fizzy bubbles down. Amp after amp after amp with the same complaint many of us have. Ya think they'd be able to clip that shit and still be fine in a mix and not a handicap in the studio dialing it out.

That fizz rubs me wrong too and it's a common obstacle I've faced many times...

zachman

Reaction score
"Can not do" translates to will not tolerate the shitty normal buzy fizzy distortion of for example a stock DSL etc... I am aware that you know the difference between quality saturated signals i.e. Friedman vs DSL...in fact it is what drives me away from a stock 2203/2204 and a pedal...still can not do the buzzy fizzy cheap sounding stiff nasty circuit.

If I have offended anyone I do apologize but I have been chasing Saturated tones for over 42 years and have founds the circuit mods that make those in the studio happening tones occur live at home at conversation level or loud as hell on stage.

And thank you Mickey for all of the lessons. David ♫

LIVE / ALL NO PEDALS:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8R-XnixsfM

SAME AMP HOME LOW LEVEL:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H12qoOGvH28

I LOVE your taste in gear. :yesway:

Here is my tribute in tribute to your tribute: Rhythm track Boogie MKIII Coliseum on the R2 channel, Heavy rhythm Cameron High gain Jose mod Marshall SLP, solo Boogie on Lead channel

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxISv-qed5I[/ame]

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mickey I prefer the power section mixed in enuff to warm and de fizz the preamp as much as I can dial in yet be useable volume wise. Otherwise it's a matter of amp low gain and pedal drive introduced to punch it out, not add fizz, over saturate and I want sound/feel to dynamically feedback or clean up.

My settings depend on amp circuit of course but my tactics are usually the same. My pups are chosen to not be scooped or harsh and not brittle up when rolled off. I usually use Greenbacks(G12M's)and I like upper mids warmed up, yet biting, snarling and sticky haha.

I don't like SLO's. They are missing what I like most about certain Marshall circuits. Dem midz. I hate stiff and sterile amps too.

What exactly are you thinking about Mickey? Don't know if I was too general and you wanted more specifics...

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
All I have to say is we have some awesome players here in our forum and they know gear too. I've learned so much and continue to.

Thanks Bruthers!

mickeydg5

Reaction score
Mickey I prefer the power section mixed in enuff to warm and de fizz the preamp as much as I can dial in yet be useable volume wise. Otherwise it's a matter of amp low gain and pedal drive introduced to punch it out, not add fizz, over saturate and I want sound/feel to dynamically feedback or clean up.

My settings depend on amp circuit of course but my tactics are usually the same. My pups are chosen to not be scooped or harsh and not brittle up when rolled off. I usually use Greenbacks(G12M's)and I like upper mids warmed up, yet biting, snarling and sticky haha.

I don't like SLO's. They are missing what I like most about certain Marshall circuits. Dem midz. I hate stiff and sterile amps too.

What exactly are you thinking about Mickey? Don't know if I was too general and you wanted more specifics...
Nah. Your answer suffices. Low gain, pedal introduced and loudness set to heat things up. I think that is key for a lot of different tones or sounds. Just enough of a solid state or digital distortion to provide an edge to the organic type tube sound. I like lower but decent levels, enough for focus and clarity, up front to feed other gear and power amplifiers. A guitarist needs good bottom and top but the middle needs to be dialed in for good penetration. I believe that to bring everything into place. Hee, hee, I used the word penetration :D.

The point being I guess with most amplifiers, stock or not, that 100% tube saturation can not always be relied upon. Preamp circuits and tubes can be harsh too.
Its not an argument. Some like their tube amplifier gain at 8 or 10. I like mine much lower. Of course the settings depend on the amplifier and the outboard gear.

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score
New Religion and Solarburn
What is your setup and initial gain set to including up front pedals if applicable?

I rebuild/modify my Marshall's potentiometer's set on 9 to be operated with Vintage custom shop Ibanez RG's & HSS Stratocasters for optimal saturation, definition and guitar volume roll back for clarity. At 10 I get paracitic ossilation which works for my taste and utilization of equipment. I use no OD pedals all triode tube signal other than rectification.

I install metro loops for solo boost, delay and reverb if wanted. I go from man in the Box to wonderful tonight (Mean to Clean) with the same rig and axe all night with "one channel" as intended without losing continuity IMO. I have a Cameron modded 1984 JCM 800 2204 I use as a back up to my personal tweaked marshall conversion/s...so far not needed as I maintain my amplification as I do my custom shop guitars and everything else.

I have just started working on variations on the themes for other guitarist's to enjoy. "I keep my amps high-low passed filtered for LIVE performance as they sit very well in the loud stage mix unlike the toy line6 amps used at home by no gigging guitarist. These amps are compelling enough to play until you must compete with the likes of a "John Henry Bonham" etc... then it becomes obvious they are indeed toys at best. I can't please everyone but must offer an alternative if I ever go public with my developments.

My observation is that everyone continues to use old world circuit assemblies developed for clean guitar in high gain amps...simply stupid IMO...it is a different animal, it must be fed a new diet. Just some things to ponder.

Peace be with you and by all means keep it clean, clear and precise no matter how saturated...clarity equals definition and dynamics.

David ♫ Plexi converted to a High Gain 2204 straight in. More of a Dark Horse instead of a 2204:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPSzSxNbLK4[/ame]

Last edited:

Latest posts