• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

[solved] Dsl40c Buzzing, Contact Problem Solved

Hunor Kovács

Reaction score
Here's the source of the problem

that i was struggling with for a long time:

It's the cable connecting the jack's little board to the main board, it's broken. Needs to be replaced. It was buzzing from time to time because the whole cabinet is resonating while you play so it can move the cable and it can end up in positions when it's not conducting.

nevermind

Reaction score
Wow. I'd almost (almost) be afraid to touch that sucker! Nice work finding the culprit.

ampmadscientist

Reaction score
Here's the source of the problem

It's the cable connecting the jack's little board to the main board, it's broken. Needs to be replaced. It was buzzing from time to time because the whole cabinet is resonating while you play so it can move the cable and it can end up in positions when it's not conducting.

It can be cleaning the contacts on the connector because it oxidizes.
Not necessarily broken, but just dirty.

It can be oxidized crimps...

The pins on male connectors can be cleaned with an eraser (gently).

UN-plug then, Try spraying deoxit into the female contact mating surfaces, then mate / un-mate the connector several times.

If it is actually a broken wire
remove the connector from the board...leaving the open holes....
you could bypass the entire cable, and solder in a new wire without the connectors.

The connector appears to be made by JST or molex etc,
but as I said you don't really need to (necessarily) replace the cable with an original.
http://www.jst.com/home21.html

J.LaGrassa

Reaction score
If you have an Ohm meter handy just remove the cable and test it for continuity to verify the break is in the cable, also I have seen where the solder pads for those connectors are poorly soldered and that will cause the same issue.

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
This construction technique is common throughout the new DSL line.
On my DSL5c, the cable that connects the FX loop board (small circuit board) is connected to the main board by a small multi-conductor cable. It has 4 contacts on either end inside a single connector housing at each end. One of the contacts had worked loose inside its housing and created the hum. Using a toothpick, I reinserted the connector fully into the housing until it snapped into place.

No more hum...

GibsonKramer

Reaction score
Yeah, like guys have said. Don't assume the wire is broken.

Most times, it's just the connector. Either some corrosion, it's wiggled off, or loose.

Latest posts