Some 80s JCM800s and JMPs With a Bogner Twist

wakjob

Reaction score
These mods can only be done on the pre PC mounted pots on the circuit board? Traces need to be cut otherwise?

That's were I ran into a dead end with my '86 and mods.
Those horizontal input models suck for modding.

Eddylenz

Reaction score
These mods can only be done on the pre PC mounted pots on the circuit board? Traces need to be cut otherwise?

That's were I ran into a dead end with my '86 and mods.
Those horizontal input models suck for modding.
Yeah, you'd definitely have to cut lots of traces or even better just make a separate board for the preamp like Reinhold did back then. I don't think the circuit would even properly fit on those PCBs anyways.
When I rebuild my '82 Bogner 2204 and put the other Bogner specs in there, I actually cut the preamp section of the PBC and put in a different board, so I could do everything properly.

Eddylenz

Reaction score
Yeh that was clear.. dick move.
If you think so...
Ask any of the well know amp guys for details on their mods or special mods that only they know and they're also not gonna give you the schematics.
They'd be stupid to do so because that's what ensures that they'll have customers in the future.
Apart from that, I pointed you guys in the right direction. From there on you should be able to make similar sounding mods, although you'll not have the exact Bogner specs.

jchrisf

Reaction score
If you think so...
Ask any of the well know amp guys for details on their mods or special mods that only they know and they're also not gonna give you the schematics.
They'd be stupid to do so because that's what ensures that they'll have customers in the future.
Apart from that, I pointed you guys in the right direction. From there on you should be able to make similar sounding mods, although you'll not have the exact Bogner specs.
Eddy, how'd you learn how to mod amps so young? I'm 50 and I'd like to have your talent.

Eddylenz

Reaction score
Eddy, how'd you learn how to mod amps so young? I'm 50 and I'd like to have your talent.
Thanks, mate. I basically started out tinkering with my old Marshall a few years ago and learned by looking stuff up online and by trial and error.
My dad is an electrician, so he told me about the safety basics and how to properly solder.
I've also built an amp kit with him a few years ago, which definitely was a learning experience.
You just have to keep at it. All the things I did, in the beginning, sounded like shit and didn't work properly, because I didn't have any idea what I was doing haha.
Patience is key.

NoelH

Reaction score
They all sound really good, although for me, a bit thicker than I can get away with playing with a keyboard player.
I liked the "Marsh"-labelled best of the three, but it was subtle. It seemed to have a bit more articulate sound than the other 2.
Awesome sounding amps!

Roymandiver

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently got extremely lucky and bought a 1982 Marshall 2204 that was modded by Reinhold Bogner back in the 80s. It was one of the first, if not the first, Marshall he ever modded.
Unfortunately, you could hear that, because it just didn't sound as good as his slightly later work.
I then got to compare the amp I bought to two other Bogner modded Marshalls, that the seller owns. After a few hours of playing, I had a clear favorite.
The amazing thing is, that he lend me the amp to study the circuit, which I did.
As soon as I was done with that, I tried to buy that amp from him as well, but he wouldn't let it go, so I decided to put this late 80s Bogner circuit into the one I just bought.

Fast forward a few days... Now I have the best Bogner mod that I've ever come across and couldn't be happier.

Here's my Bogner before I rebuilt it

Here's the Bogner that won the comparison

and here's my 2203 that I recently modded with yet another Bogner mod

I have some more videos in the making, where you can hear my rebuilt Bogner Marshall and the original Bogner JMP cranked in a studio.

What do you guys think of these amps and have you ever played a Bogner modded Marshall?

Cheers, Eddy

I have a 2010 that sounds awesome with my very old full stack boxes from 1973.

Latest posts