Sort Of A Cool Story... Well For One Of Us Anyways... Mods, Me And My White Marshall

• Thread starter shredless
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

shredless

Reaction score
So some of you remember I have the White Anniversary half stack, the one with the 2203x in a original anniversary headshell. A few of you helped me mod it a while back and I thought I had a great sounding amp. Modding thread can be found here...

http://www.marshallforum.com/threads/decided-to-do-some-mods-to-my-jcm800-2203x.61691/

Well, its been a while since I did that and I thought the amp was great, but sadly it just sat here for the last 2 years as I have been up to doing some "mods" to myself lately. I would fire it up now and then and shake the house down. I got a bug up my ass and decided to list it for trade, hoping to get something I may use more. No real serious interest on CL, but I did have someone offer me a brand new... and it looked every bit of it (other brand here) amp and 2x12 vertical cab. After much research I said sure... lets do the deal. He had a long drive and we met up and we swapped, now I nearly always offer a 24 hour give back guarantee on CL....which I have been chastised for in the past... but I offer up good stuff and I screen the people well to make sure I dont deal with douches. This time it allowed the universe to save my ass!

We swapped, the next day I get a message saying "we can swap back if you want?" I said fine because I didnt see the other amp as anything near what it was touted to be on the web... He drove it all the way back and didnt really say it sounded bad... he just didnt want to lug around a big ass amp (1982A cab) so thats cool... I said do overs were fine. I got the amp back home and fired it up just to be sure it was still alive and it didnt sound right. I assumed she was pissed at me for giving her up nd just let her sit for the next 2 days. I finally tried again and knew I needed to open it up. One of the solder joints I did back during that thread had come off... I dont know off hand which resistor it was .... but it was open and the amp played, but wasnt that great sounding. Im assuming this happened enroute during 6-8 hours of driving in the bed of a pickup... no ones fault but mine, should have been a better joint.

Well, she came alive and she asked me to do a few more tweaks, I picked a couple of the mods I was too nervous to do back then and holy shit! Now this amp is what I always wanted it to be... and I thought it was close before.

But anyways.... I set it free and it came back and its better than ever!!!

Attachments

• 20171117_141945.jpg
    20171117_141945.jpg
    288.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 20171117_141951.jpg
    20171117_141951.jpg
    425.1 KB · Views: 37
  • 20171117_142001.jpg
    20171117_142001.jpg
    433.8 KB · Views: 35

shredless

Reaction score
Have you ever tried it with a 1960 cab just to see?

Most likely over the years, Ive had several, actually when I bought the head it came with a modern 1960a... I do not like gt1275s on anything though...

Easton55

Reaction score
Ok, just wondering as I've never had the chance to hook onto a 1982, so wondered how big a difference there actually was. Or if it was all just a matter of personal liking. Cool story either way!

shredless

Reaction score
Ok, just wondering as I've never had the chance to hook onto a 1982, so wondered how big a difference there actually was. Or if it was all just a matter of personal liking. Cool story either way!

Physical size seems to be the same, but they are heavier than a 1960, by quite a bit. I think they use thicker wood? Its a very solid cab and reminds me more of a mesa cab just in the way it "feels" and I mean this in a physical sense. Sound is subjective... and mine has G12H100s.... I think its a killer cab and handles all the lowend you can throw at it.

Marshallhead

Reaction score
The 1982 cabs are heavier because of the added weight of the speakers - the magnet is quite a bit deeper.

The cab box itself is the same wood/thickness as a 1960.