• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Sound Issues.

• Thread starter Khurram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    amplifier
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Khurram

Reaction score
Hello all.
I own a Marshall amp since like 2006. Has never given me any issues. I recently moved into a new place and the first time I plugged in my amp and guitar, noticed that there is no sound (or negligible sound) coming from one of the pickups. I tried it with my other amp (small orange combo) and the problem is the same. I tested multiple cables and tried all of my 3 guitars. The problem is the same. What could be causing this?

EADGBE

Reaction score
Open up the guitar's control compartment and see if the ground wire has come unsoldered. And do this while the guitar is not connected to the amp.

Matt_Krush

Reaction score
Your post is not very clear.

Which Marshall?
No/low sound from 1 pickup...neck or bridge?
But the other pickup works/sounds fine?
Type of guitar?
Same problem with the same guitar in the Orange and the Marshall?

Then you say you have the same problem with all 3 guitars in both amps?

If it's an amplifier problem....it wouldn't work with 1 pickup in a guitar and not the other. That's a guitar switch/wiring problem...but you say all your guitars do this...1 pickup works, the other doesn't?
And none of your guitars did this before?

Either someone wired your guitars wrong, your 'test' was poorly executed, or your description of events is poorly stated.

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a dodgy toggle switch....very common on semi acoustic guitars due to muck getting in through the open F holes. Best way to clean it is remove it and spray the contacts with electrical contact cleaner, then gently run a piece of 1200 wet or dry paper between the contacts.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing it's a language barrier issue. Seems that the poster is probably not an English speaking person. Hopefully s/he can clarify the problem...

Khurram

Reaction score
Your post is not very clear.

Which Marshall?
No/low sound from 1 pickup...neck or bridge?
But the other pickup works/sounds fine?
Type of guitar?
Same problem with the same guitar in the Orange and the Marshall?

Then you say you have the same problem with all 3 guitars in both amps?

If it's an amplifier problem....it wouldn't work with 1 pickup in a guitar and not the other. That's a guitar switch/wiring problem...but you say all your guitars do this...1 pickup works, the other doesn't?
And none of your guitars did this before?

Either someone wired your guitars wrong, your 'test' was poorly executed, or your description of events is poorly stated.

Apologies Mat. I was asking for help not some baloney criticism. If you think this is not worth your time, you could always NOT RESPOND.

incase you are genuinely trying to help, here are the details.

Marshall MG 100hdfx
Guitars: peavey EVH, Peavey raptor(custom pick ups) & Ibanez RGT42DX (custom pick ups).
the problem started when I moved to this new house. all the gear was working fine in the old house. I plugged my axe in, no/minimal sound on the bridge pickup. The neck pickup was as loud as before but very noisy.
Changed cables, still the same result. Changed the amp, still the same result. Then changed the guitars, still the same result. All possible combinations tried.
Hope this clarifies.

Matt_Krush

Reaction score
First off, We are trying to help.
Your attitude will not last long nor gain you any more help.

So what you are saying is...everything worked before you moved, now in a new house...all the bridge pickups quit working.

Well either that is truly a bad luck moment of epic proportions or perhaps the bridge pickups not working correctly before the move wasn't noticed or as obvious.
There is not a single reason why moving from 1 location to another would make 3 bridge pickups fail simultaneously in 3 separate guitars. That is, unless your house is haunted by the Dimarzio Demon.

Now for correcting the problem...open up the guitars and make sure all the wires are securely soldered.

EADGBE

Reaction score
Is it an old house? Maybe the house's wiring is amiss.

Khurram

Reaction score
First off, We are trying to help.
Your attitude will not last long nor gain you any more help.

So what you are saying is...everything worked before you moved, now in a new house...all the bridge pickups quit working.

Well either that is truly a bad luck moment of epic proportions or perhaps the bridge pickups not working correctly before the move wasn't noticed or as obvious.
There is not a single reason why moving from 1 location to another would make 3 bridge pickups fail simultaneously in 3 separate guitars. That is, unless your house is haunted by the Dimarzio Demon.

Now for correcting the problem...open up the guitars and make sure all the wires are securely soldered.

Are you really trying to help or just asking me to go all medieval on my guitars for no good reason at all? Lol!!! :)

Oh and sorry if I hurt your feelings...but you're absolutely no help. Please stop responding as it's a waste of time for everyone.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Jesus, dude he IS trying to help!
"I own a Marshall amp since like 2006. Has never given me any issues." Sounds like an amp problem will follow.
"...there is no sound (or negligible sound) coming from one of the pickups. I tried it with my other amp (small orange combo) and the problem is the same."
Now it sounds like a guitar problem, amp model unknown. Then the line about 3 different guitars made all of us, me included, wonder - what? Same guitar related problem with 3 different guitars?
He's telling you to check each guitar because, as you ARE asking for help here, there really IS no reason why moving can cause 3 different guitars to suddenly develop pickup problems. Weird wiring could cause noise etc maybe a grounding issue but on BOTH pickups not just one, it should seem.
Why is checking each guitar NOT a valid answer? :scratch:
Didn't EADGBE say to check wiring on each guitar as well?
We DID need to know amp model and guitar type. Matt was asking because someone had to...

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes when someone says they have one pickup in a guitar not working, but the other pickups in the same guitar work, nothing else could cause that condition except the wiring to the offending pickup, or the pickup itself being defective..in 3 guitars not likely unless all 3 bridge pickups had some kind of voltage anormality that zapped all 3. Very strange. Check the guitars wiring first. And dont ask for advice if your not willing to accept it.

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea, Why would the houses voltage have anything to do with one pickup not working but the other working? Sounds like a ground issue in the guitar(s)..maybe the input jack on the amp, but not the house current.

JLBIII

Reaction score
Are your pickups humbuckers, single coil or active?

Latest posts