• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Sound Issues.

• Thread starter Khurram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    amplifier
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
ok, everyone's had their say, let's get past that & to letting the OP troubleshoot his issue w/ those who wish to help...

thanks! :wave:

Khurram

Reaction score
So.. Looks like everyone's having a little fun with this :)
And for its worth... appreciate the time and energy.. Even for the ludacris suggestions (hint hint Mr. Murdock) ;)

Looks like I pushed the right buttons to get so much input so thanks once again.

So here's the update for today:

1. Already mentioned that I tried it on a different amp.. Same result
2. Wires and solders dont need to be bothered unless absolutely necessary - if it ain't broke, don't fix it
3. Took 2 of my 3 guitars to a friend's place and checked them on his amp.. They work beautifully! So ruling out the guitar wiring problem - AGAIN.
4. Haven't tried the mp3 player suggestion though is a great idea. Will help isolate the problem. Might give it a shot tmrw if #5 is not successful.
5. Have called in the power company. Techs are coming in tmrw to do a diagnostic. Let's see what they have to say. Most of the house is carpeted so highly possible the issue never emerged while using other appliances. So kudos to the member who said it might be an indication of a bigger problem.

Also, my initial (and more importantly, incorrect) impression of the forum was that people were just responding without understanding my problem. I (incorrectly) felt that it might just be seasoned members bashing me; maybe cuz I'm new or because my problem is too childish/trivial. However with the continued responses I understand now that all of you are genuinely trying to help. So apologies for any misappropriated comments. I think the defense mechanism kicked in.

Will hit you back tomorrow with the update!
Peace! :)

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
So far so good. SO strange that it doesn't affect both pickups but you did mention the neck pickup is noisy now. Holy crap. That's a new one on me!
Take your amp to friend's too. Just because...
Could be electrical has done something to amp. I've played places where static caused you to get a mild shock both from mic and guitar.

Khurram

Reaction score
So far so good. SO strange that it doesn't affect both pickups but you did mention the neck pickup is noisy now. Holy crap. That's a new one on me!
Take your amp to friend's too. Just because...
Could be electrical has done something to amp. I've played places where static caused you to get a mild shock both from mic and guitar.

Thanks for reading through the post again.
1. Bridge has no/minimal sound
2. Neck is loud but terribly noisy
3. Taking the amp seems like the obvious next step if the techs don't find a fault.
4. On a lighter note, funny how nobody suggested that I move houses again.. Lol :D

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was seriously trying to help. With the symptoms you described it seemed like it had to be in the instruments, with one pu working and all. Very strange. I would try the amp at a different location as was mentioned. I've played at hundreds of locations and have never incountered a problem with the electrical in a location that would cause those symtoms. I would seriously look at the input jack on the amp next..if it where mine. And welcome to the forum :)

snark

Reaction score
Have you tried a new/good instrument cable to connect your guitars to the amp?

EADGBE

Reaction score
Maybe the tubes got loose during transit.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
I was seriously trying to help. With the symptoms you described it seemed like it had to be in the instruments, with one pu working and all. Very strange. I would try the amp at a different location as was mentioned. I've played at hundreds of locations and have never incountered a problem with the electrical in a location that would cause those symtoms. I would seriously look at the input jack on the amp next..if it where mine. And welcome to the forum :)
the only time I've had a similar thing is when I swapped a pickguard & accidently wired the output jack on the Strat backwards. The pickups were overall noisy, w/ very little sound. I guess my thought was that, if that was the case, if you had a out of phase pickup (like on a Tele), then switching pickups could ground out to silence.

But, he says no recent mod's/wiring... :shrug:

Khurram

Reaction score

Will check it out. Checking the amp input jack is something I have never done. (believe it or not) guitar wiring I have fiddled around before. :) Let me YouTube on how to do that.

Khurram

Reaction score
Nop
the only time I've had a similar thing is when I swapped a pickguard & accidently wired the output jack on the Strat backwards. The pickups were overall noisy, w/ very little sound. I guess my thought was that, if that was the case, if you had a out of phase pickup (like on a Tele), then switching pickups could ground out to silence.

But, he says no recent mod's/wiring... :shrug:

No recent mods. My primary is the evh which is stock. The other two guitars, mods were done back in 2013; both done by a good guitar tech.

Dmann

Reaction score
I was going to jump in here.... but.. nope lol.

You should really take 10 minutes, record and upload a video to youtube with your phone demonstrating the issue with all guitars and amps and showing how it's all connected.

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
Bad earths / wiring in property can cause all sorts of weird stuff to happen, these can be dangerous and potentially fatal. Glad you are getting the techs out to give the property the once over.
A few years ago I had a loose earth in a car. The engine wouldn't switch off, the wipers, air con and sound system would work of their own accord....as I said weird stuff can happen.

Khurram

Reaction score
So daily update:

I was at work so just spoke to the techs on the phone. They basically said that the building is totally messed up when it comes to the wiring. Seems like all apartments (approx 50) in the building are most likely effected.
According to the super, the building recently got a back up generator replaced for the elevators and the building (replacing 2 with one big one). This happened like a couple of weeks before I moved in. He is saying that is the probable cause. (Feel a little stupid now for not speaking to him earlier)
The techs are gonna come again tmrw and start the work. Let's just hope it doesn't take long.

Took the amp to a friend's place. It works OK; the problem with the PU is resolved (touchwood) . But maybe I am getting paranoid now that the amp has somehow gotten fudged....sometime the fx seems to change levels by it self...so like no delay one moment and then delay all of a sudden.. This is with the fx level around 40‰.
Then there is a crackling sound which appears and goes away only when I turn it off... (I am starting to believe that the ghost of Di Marzio might really exist :s)

So not to confuse with the original problem... But I fear @Gunner64 and @Jethro Rocker might be right.... Looks like I might have to carry out some work on the amp :(

Latest posts