Sourmash Vs Mojotone Head Shells

• Thread starter charvel2
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

charvel2

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I’m just curious if anyone has used Sourmash products and what your opinion is as far as quality, shipping and customer service. I need a Plexi head shell and trying to make up my mind between SM and Mojotone. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

MarshallDog

Reaction score
Well, I have used both of them.

I used Sourmash and he built me a period correct 1X12 combo cab for my 1980 JMP 2204. He did a great job and customer service was excellent. A good friend of mine used him also for a replacement Plexi head cab and it was excellent. Because this is a small company, just Bob and his wife, when you call you probably wont get him and will leave a message and he will call back in a day or two.

I used MojoTone for a Blues Breaker style 1X12 combo cab for another project and it was excellent. Customer service was stellar. They called m eto tell me the order was shipping then followed it up with an e-mail...no BS at all.

Both places packaged their product perfectly. I cant really say which ones better at this point. For me it would come down to who has the product I want as a standard offering.

You wont be disappointed with either IMO!

mAx___

Reaction score
I have one Sourmash plexi head on the way. I looked at several buiders and they had some of the better period-correct looking ones along with the best prices.
Before them I also used guitarcabinetsdirect.com for a 4x12 '68 replica. Craftmanship and customer service were excellent and they gave me a great price when I asked.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Well, I have used both of them.

I used Sourmash and he built me a period correct 1X12 combo cab for my 1980 JMP 2204. He did a great job and customer service was excellent. A good friend of mine used him also for a replacement Plexi head cab and it was excellent. Because this is a small company, just Bob and his wife, when you call you probably wont get him and will leave a message and he will call back in a day or two.

I used MojoTone for a Blues Breaker style 1X12 combo cab for another project and it was excellent. Customer service was stellar. They called m eto tell me the order was shipping then followed it up with an e-mail...no BS at all.

Both places packaged their product perfectly. I cant really say which ones better at this point. For me it would come down to who has the product I want as a standard offering.

You wont be disappointed with either IMO!

Ive been curious about these two companies as well, how good the materials were if they looked cheap or not. I had a couple head shells from other amps, a Weber kit and the headshell was utter crap from China that looked cheap, and the other was a Ceriatone head and the quality was pretty good. So both Mojotone and Sourmash cabs looked authentic? If I had to choose between them and quality was equal Id go with Sourmash his prices are a bit lower if I recall.

MarshallDog

Reaction score
Ive been curious about these two companies as well, how good the materials were if they looked cheap or not. I had a couple head shells from other amps, a Weber kit and the headshell was utter crap from China that looked cheap, and the other was a Ceriatone head and the quality was pretty good. So both Mojotone and Sourmash cabs looked authentic? If I had to choose between them and quality was equal Id go with Sourmash his prices are a bit lower if I recall.

All the material were excellent at both places. I have posted pics of these in the past on this forum.

One note is, if you go with Sourmash and get the Vintage tan checked grill cloth, his has a slight yellow tint to it. It looked great until it sat next to one of my Marshall cabs with the same cloth. So it started bugging me and I ordered some from MojoTone and it was perfect and changed it. That was the only issue. If I was going to use Sourmash again and wanted the tan checkered grill cloth, I would order it from MojoTone and ship it to him.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
All the material were excellent at both places. I have posted pics of these in the past on this forum.

One note is, if you go with Sourmash and get the Vintage tan checked grill cloth, his has a slight yellow tint to it. It looked great until it sat next to one of my Marshall cabs with the same cloth. So it started bugging me and I ordered some from MojoTone and it was perfect and changed it. That was the only issue. If I was going to use Sourmash again and wanted the tan checkered grill cloth, I would order it from MojoTone and ship it to him.
I had the idea of building a JMP style 2204, Ceriatone head and Sourmash headshell. Brand new JMP! :yesway:

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Sourmash smallbox headshell and it's top notch. Every bit as good as a factory marshall box in every respect, maybe better.

mAx___

Reaction score
I believe that's the one that goes for $210 plus shipping. Gorgeous.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
Damn that’s a thing of beauty!

How much that cost to do that? If I may...
Yeah, it was around $200, seems a little silly now, for an amp I only paid $500 for. :scratch: Figured, if I ever sold it, I'd put it back in the original head box and keep the Plexi-style box. Other amp chassis would probably work in it, depending on the amp.

harleytech

Reaction score
I have had a couple of combo cabs built by Mojotone and workmanship and materials were top notch. And if you ask them , They will give you a discount...

houseofrock

Reaction score
I bought a 2x12 cab. I was on the fence as to which brand to buy though I was leaning heavily toward Mojotone.
I ended up buying the SourMash. Mostly because of the size of the cab better fit what head I was going to use with it. What a great cab. I was not disappointed. I would definitely buy another from SourMash. Then again I would buy from Mojotone also.