Sozo caps on Vintage Modern

• Thread starter 40watter
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hollowbody

Reaction score
...As parts age their values drift...some more than others. Transformers age as well and since the power transformer supplies the very power your speakers draw while the output transformer couples that power to the speaker, these would have a much more dramatic effect. Power transformers play a part in how "stiff" the power supply is which affects the dynamic response of the amp...

...The environmental conditions of the listening environment affect what we hear right along with speaker type/age, speaker placement, size/shape of the listening environment, air density/volume within said listening environment, etc etc. On top of that wall voltage has a drastic effect on what you hear and we all know that can vary widely depending on time of day.

Hmm, I have said all these things to a few people and I've been called a "corksniffer" for saying it.

Hollowbody

Reaction score
...People have the tendency to believe that the human ear can somehow hear everything that's happening electrically in an amp circuit. Just because a scope would see it doesn't mean you'll always hear it. This is why we techs use scopes to troubleshoot things...they can display things that are happening electrically that we cannot hear.

...the human ear is a pretty crude listening device that cannot always be trusted. We don't hear "flat" and the frequency response of our hearing changes with perceivable volume. Our hearing is less sensitive to lows/highs at low volume levels while becoming flatter as perceivable volume is increased.

The human ear is far from being a crude listening device.

The ear wasn't designed to identify power, voltage and current in a circuit. I know you were talking about the sonic effect or result of what is happening electrically but the world of aural acoustics is where the comparison should be and part of the brain should be included in identifying the ear's potential, same as a cpu on a scope. You are correct about the freq response and the curve but there is much more involved.

The ear is basically a hydrolic transducer that has a 130 db sensitivity range, that is 10 trillion(th) difference in loudness. It can focus on one sound in a noisy room, unlike any but the best parabolic microphones. It can detect a difference of just two degrees in the direction of any sound source.

All of this adds up to being able to perceive quite a bit while listening to an amp.

I'm sure there are a few more stats I could rattle off but I have a hangover and my ears are ringing from a small gig last night, ha ha.

But no, the ear is not crude in any context.

TwinACStacks

Reaction score
You guys still beating up 40watter?

I always thought the SOZOs were for older style circuits such as the NMV Marshalls.......but who really knows.

Twin.......do you still have/use your SOZO & Silver Mica - 2204 amp? http://www.marshallforum.com/marshall-amps/22999-best-marshall-you-heard-2010-a.html

ScreenHunter_02Jul151940.jpg

No, I graduated and went back to Vox AC30's.

:):) TWIN

dorrisant

Reaction score
Hey Tony, why don't you email him and ask him? :)

Mark

I would also take any info YOU would share... being the source of the question to begin with. Do you have maybe a link with some vital info? Should I email you?... I figure Jon will see this soon enough if he hasn't already. Just to clarify... I will always try to take advise on tweaks like this, and with an open mind too. I don't think I would take much advise on how to handle customers and their questions... What I'm doing seems to be working just fine.
Am I missing something?

Tony

dorrisant

Reaction score
Who knows? Maybe one day I will have to do a repair to a Wilder amp... Sure would be much better to get some support from Jon on that.
I don't want to burn a bridge. I just don't think anyone should torch someone's comment so badly. If you don't have anything nice to say, (or factual) then don't say anything at all.
A helpful nudge in the right direction, (a link or two) will usually keep them busy and help them catch up on the knowledge.
That's what I'm doing here... Looking for info on Rockstah's tone...

Tony

Last edited:

MajorNut1967

Reaction score
The cheapest and easiest way to make your amp sound better is to change the strings on your guitar. The next thing to do, and the most difficult, is learning to play better. Not that good gear isn't important, but once you have a good guitar and a good amp, most of the rest is in the fingers.

Ken

Absolutely! Great point Ken.

dorrisant

Reaction score
Absolutely! Great point Ken.

Yes... I agree. When you have all those things taken care of, what tweaks for a plexi would be done in order to achieve the best possible evh tone? I'm past the new strings and practice (subjective), those are the main ingredients... I'm looking for the secret spices (tweaks) so to speak.

Tony

dreyn77

Reaction score
hey soooooo how are your VINTAGE cheese , oh I mean Modern amps going now they are modded modern!?!?

Latest posts