Speaker Advice

• Thread starter 1Adam12
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

1Adam12

Reaction score
Greetings Marshall Tech Gurus!!

I have decided I will be purchasing a Haze 40 in the very near future. Thanks to research of information on this wonderful site. I have answered almost every question I could have regarding the Haze 40. First let me point out that I am not an amplifier tech by any means. I did take electronics all through high school (I am 40 now). I am a network engineer by trade. I can solder pretty clean, and I am rather mechanical to begin with. One talent I do have is wood working. Since one of the few flaws with the Haze is the particle board cabinet; I decided I would fix that little issue. Also since combo amps (the haze inperticular) are suseptible to microphonics; I was going to make a separate head cab. Ok get to the point already old man......

I was thinking about making the cabinet a 2X12. I even have some flamed maple lying around to give it a little extra bling. I would like to use the existing Celestion Marquee that comes with the Haze.

Will the Haze run a 2X12 correctly? ( I assume it will. I have seen threads on here were people play thier Haze through an extension cab.)
What speaker would go well in the second slot? (Green Back?)
Can I even get another Celestion Marquee to match them?
Can I wire both speakers together into a single jack to connect to the Haze head?

Trust me I have the cabinet/head making part of things well in hand. I just need some electrical help with getting a second speaker wired, and working with the existing Marquee with out blowing something up.

Thank you great and powerful masters of the Marshall!!

:rock::headbanger::rock::headbanger:

Last edited:

impetus maximus

Reaction score
[edit] welcome to the forums!

i think the haze 40 has 16ohm and 8ohm output speaker jacks.
depending on the ohm of the stock speaker you will want to mate it with another
to end up with 8 or 16 ohms. if the stock is 16 ohm you could wire it parallel
with another 16 ohm for a total of 8 ohm.
if the stock is 8 ohm you can wire it in series with another 8 ohm for a total of 16 ohm.

i have a 2x12 greenbacks and love them with my 89 2204 and my 1W firefly.
if i were to buy speakers now i would get clones from warehouse guitar speakers.
they are more affordable, and smoother than celestions. check out their tone chart.
Green Beret is their greenback clone.

good luck and take lots of pictures of your project :wave:

/max

1Adam12

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. Like I mentioned in my post it has been about 22 years since I was in electronics class. You confused me on one point. How does wiring 2 16ohm speakers in parallel add up to 8ohm? I am guessing it has something to do with wiring them in parallel instead of series. I would think I should match it with another Celestion Marquee speaker. I seem to have read somewhere here that having different speakers would effect the tone in a bad way. I know the Marquee was designed special for the Haze.

Salsg

Reaction score
Mixing speakers is very common and often yield great results. By mixing speakers, you can get a very full sound, with complimentary speakers. Some mixes will be ebtter than others,YMMV.

impetus maximus

Reaction score
sorry i misread your post :lol:
check out the Guv'nor's sticky.

parallel 2 16ohm for a total of 8 ohm
212paralell.jpg

series 2 8ohm speakers for a total of 16 ohm
BCMyR.gif

see how you like the stock speaker first. mixing is common. i'm thinking of swapping out one of my greenbacks.

Adwex

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. Like I mentioned in my post it has been about 22 years since I was in electronics class. You confused me on one point. How does wiring 2 16ohm speakers in parallel add up to 8ohm? I am guessing it has something to do with wiring them in parallel instead of series. .......

You are guessing correctly, two 16 ohm speakers wired in parallel will total 8 ohms.

Two 16 ohm speakers wired in series will total 32 ohms.

Would you like to see the math?

*edit* Oops, impetus beat me to it while I was typing.

Adwex

Reaction score
...and like the guys said above, mixing speakers is quite common, and will not damage anything. Just make sure they are the same impedance.

I have 3 different model speakers in my 4x12.

1Adam12

Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses guys. One thing I am still looking for though is suggestions as to which speaker would pair best with the G12T-66 Marquee? I play mostly classic rock/metal. AC/DC, Motorhead, Sabbath, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Hendrix, Zepplin, but I dabble in Megadeth, Pantera, Alice in Chains. Given that little bit of information what speaker would you guys suggest. I was thinking a Greenback at first, but now I am leaning tward a Vintage 30 since the wattage matches up better with the Marquee.

1Adam12

Reaction score
I don't think it is possible to just buy a G12T-66 Marquee with out purchasing a second Haze. What speaker would you guys recommend to fill out the second spot in a 2X12? The type of music I play is AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Jimi Hendrix, Motorhead, Judas Priest....etc; and I dabble in the higher gain stuff like Megadeth, Pantera. I was thinking a Vintage 30 as it should be close to the same wattage, and impeadance. Thanks again for your replies.

hbach

Reaction score
It is also generally good if the two speakers have similar sensitivity so one isn't much louder than the other one.
Does anyone know how sensitive the Marquee is? I'm pretty sure they are 16 Ohms / 66Watts.
If you want to figure out how much power the cabinet can handle you have to multiply the lower speaker power handling times 2. As each speaker get's one half of the power if they have the same impedance, no matter if you wire in series or parallel. The risk is to blow the lower power one. Generally it is advisable to have enough power reserve the speakers can handle, some say twice the amp, as the nominal amp power is the amps output before it clips.

jazzy cian

Reaction score
Mixing speakers is very common and often yield great results. By mixing speakers, you can get a very full sound, with complimentary speakers. Some mixes will be ebtter than others,YMMV.

+1 on that,

I have a celestion gold alnico 50 watts and a g12 h30 ceramic 30 watts both 16 ohm wired in parallel for 8 ohms in my bluesbreaker. YOu get the sparkly mids and highs from the gold and a nice bassy growl from the g12. Both speakers cancel out the other ones inadequacies so you get an excellent frequency range. And the total wattage is 80 watts which is more than twice the rated output of my bluesbreaker which is the best way to go!

hbach

Reaction score
+1 on that,

I have a celestion gold alnico 50 watts and a g12 h30 ceramic 30 watts both 16 ohm wired in parallel for 8 ohms in my bluesbreaker. YOu get the sparkly mids and highs from the gold and a nice bassy growl from the g12. Both speakers cancel out the other ones inadequacies so you get an excellent frequency range. And the total wattage is 80 watts which is more than twice the rated output of my bluesbreaker which is the best way to go!

Actually as I mentioned: If the impedances are equal each speaker will handle half the load so the lower rated speaker is "at risk". Jazzy, your set up is only rated at 60W, which will work great with the 30W of the Bluesbreaker but maybe is a bit slim for 40W.

1Adam12

Reaction score
I am probably going to use the stock Marquee speaker 16 ohm/66 watt, mixed with a WGS Veteran 30 16 ohm/60 watt. That should give the 2X12 cab a nice range. I have started cutting the box joints for the 2x12 birch cabinet, and staining some of the flamed maple accent pieces. I will not be buying the Haze 40 until black friday rolls around in November; so I still have plenty of time to mess around. I will be sure and post many pictures when everything is all complete. I got some great design ideas last weekend at the PRS experience. I look forward to going to that event every year. If I lived closer to the factory I would probably hang out there like a crazed groopie.

kleintools

Reaction score
Greetings Marshall Tech Gurus!!

I have decided I will be purchasing a Haze 40 in the very near future. Thanks to research of information on this wonderful site. I have answered almost every question I could have regarding the Haze 40. First let me point out that I am not an amplifier tech by any means. I did take electronics all through high school (I am 40 now). I am a network engineer by trade. I can solder pretty clean, and I am rather mechanical to begin with. One talent I do have is wood working. Since one of the few flaws with the Haze is the particle board cabinet; I decided I would fix that little issue. Also since combo amps (the haze inperticular) are suseptible to microphonics; I was going to make a separate head cab. Ok get to the point already old man......

I was thinking about making the cabinet a 2X12. I even have some flamed maple lying around to give it a little extra bling. I would like to use the existing Celestion Marquee that comes with the Haze.

Will the Haze run a 2X12 correctly? ( I assume it will. I have seen threads on here were people play thier Haze through an extension cab.)
What speaker would go well in the second slot? (Green Back?)
Can I even get another Celestion Marquee to match them?
Can I wire both speakers together into a single jack to connect to the Haze head?

Trust me I have the cabinet/head making part of things well in hand. I just need some electrical help with getting a second speaker wired, and working with the existing Marquee with out blowing something up.

Thank you great and powerful masters of the Marshall!!

:rock::headbanger::rock::headbanger:
Yes it will look & sound awesome 8ohm load=(16ohm)/2 the Marquee has a Damn good warm sound when broken in.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Equally important to matching ohms and wattage when mixing speakers is also the db rating. The volume of speakers closely matched per db will be more equal sounding, not louder on one side.

HumanJHawkins

Reaction score
Just a note if you are patient... A lot of people swap out the speaker in their Haze for something else. So you should be able to buy a second G12T-66 from eBay if you run a search for a few weeks.

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
Just a little info. Particle board in not necessarily a bad thing. In the world of speaker cabinets, particle board is the number one wood type. You see, when a speaker is mounted on a piece of wood, you want minimal transference. Particle board gives you this. Now also understand there are better types of particle board such as MDF and Medite. You want to stay away form real coarse particle board or underlay. The top hifi speakers are MDF or Medite with a wood veneer.

Hardwoods used as a cabinet will add certain tones to the cabinet. Maple can tend to be a bright wood. This may make your amp/speaker sound too bright.

Now if you are planning on doing a lot of hard gigging with your amp. you then should consider multi-ply plywood. This is used because it holds together better and has low transference.

Speaker Box Material — Solid Wood or MDF?

HumanJHawkins

Reaction score
<cut>In the world of speaker cabinets, particle board is the number one wood type.<cut>

Whatever makes the kind of sound you like is the right material. To each their own. I've built MDF guitar cabs before. It wasn't to my taste, but I learned a bit and didn't wast much money or time.

The main thing is that Hi-fi speakers are designed to perfectly and accurately reproduce the sound going into them, without coloring it. However, guitar speakers are usually designed to intentionally color the sound. Some of the best amps in the world sound pretty bad through hi-fi speakers. And some of the sounds people seem to like come from a plywood backing board vibrating with the speakers. Something that no good hi-fi design would allow.

It's hard to tell until you just build one and see if you like it.

kleintools

Reaction score
Hey Tommy,

The Marquee 66 is a bit of a cross between the G12T-75 and the greenback. It uses the magnet from the G12T, but voiced towards the greenback. They are rated for 60 watts

Cheers!

Kevin (Kdog) Drury

Marshall USA Service

kleintools

Reaction score
I contacted Marshall to get some info on the Marquee speaker. This is what they wrote back.