Speaker buzz

• Thread starter Euguitar
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Euguitar

Reaction score
I hear a slight buzz from my 4x12 1960 Lead slant cab but cannot track it down. It gets louder as the volume is turned up but when I check the speakers for wear I can't see or feel anything wrong. Could this still be a voice coil problem?

mario

Reaction score
It might not be the speakers at all. Check the screws on the back or anything else that might be loose and ratle/buzz. Also check the 4 screws on each speaker.

rockinr0ll

Reaction score
plus 1 for checking the screws... this has happened to me b4.

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
Two other things to check.

1. Loose dust cap on one of your speakers. Use an exacto knife to work under your dust caps to see if any are loose. If you have a loose dust cap, see if you can remove it in one piece with the exacto knife. If you can, then reglue the entire cap. If you can't, take a small stub of hard paper and put some glue on the end. Lift the dust cap and slip the stub under the cap and work the glue back and forth. You might have to do this more than one. Take a slightly damp paper towel and remove the excess glue. Usually, you use special speaker glue, but a good wood glue will work.

2. Speaker Lead Wire-Check to see if the tinsel lead wire is not touching the backside of the cone. If it is, it will buzz. If it is, just readjust the wire.

Hope you find the problem.

Euguitar

Reaction score
I have tried all these and more and am at a loss. I've noticed it does occur with both speaker cabs so it must be in the head-or my head?! It also happens with different guitars so that rules that out. But it does sound somewhat like a frett buzz and does only occur when my attack is very hard which also sounds like fret buzz/ hmmm.

jcmjmp

Reaction score
remove the side handles and place a piece of foam gasket between the handle & cab and re-install. That could be it. Does the noise happen with the head off of the cab?

knk2691

Reaction score
I don't know if this will help or not but I had the same problem with buzz. I made sure everything was tight and the problem still persisted. I read on a forum that it is possible to over tighten speakers so I backed off the screws and just snugged them up and the problem went away. I can't explain the science it just worked for me.

Ken

Reaction score
I have tried all these and more and am at a loss. I've noticed it does occur with both speaker cabs so it must be in the head-or my head?! It also happens with different guitars so that rules that out. But it does sound somewhat like a frett buzz and does only occur when my attack is very hard which also sounds like fret buzz/ hmmm.

Dumb question, but have you tried the amp in a different room? The buzz might not be from the cabinet/amp at all but a table or something in the room. That happened to me!

Ken

LesPaulopolis

Reaction score
On my 4100 there was always a weird 'fizz/buzz/static' that acompanied anything I played. You'd hit a chord and there'd be a 'krrrrzzzzzz' that was unrelated to what note you were playing...just a general fizzfizzbuzz behind any sound that came out of the head. Drove me nuts! I think the heads just 'make' that sound!!!

Euguitar

Reaction score
I'm beginning to think Lespaulopolis is right-this is just inherent in the head and my ears have become attuned to it. I'm gonna try switching out the pre amp tubes and if that doesn't help it goes in the shop.

george76

Reaction score
coil rub is a pretty common problem with speakers.

the best thing to do is borrow someone elses cab that you know is in good order and see if the same vibration noises are there.

dymlos

Reaction score
do the 1960 cabs have a brace in it? i know my tv cab does and that can cause rattle at high levels..i just have some cardboard inbetween the brace and the back of the cab. dont know if it will work in this situation the tv cab is the only cab ive owned

cicone

Reaction score
My 1960AV used to buzz when I played and it drove me crazy. It turned out that a spare 10' guitar cord was the culprit. It was folded in half and draped over the cab with the metal ends hanging down the back side. You should have seen them dancing on that wood. Took me a month to figure it out!