Speaker Load on a JCM900 4100 Hi-Gain

• Thread starter cudamax2343
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MajorNut1967

Reaction score
Hey cuda,

I took a better look at the pics and the one with the burn marks is right in the BIAS circuit, I am a little concerned about that! Might have it looked at ok?

cudamax2343

Reaction score
Yea. I Thought That Too Being its Kinda Smoked Right Next to

The Bias Adjust Pot.

Anyways I Need to Thank All You Guys Once Again.

This is Truly a Great Place and All you Guys Really Helped Me out Verifying and

Matching the Output of my New Rig to my Old Cab and I can

Tell-ya this it, I can Tell The Difference. Maybe Be Cause I Was Blast-in

This on "8" with the Wrong output Resistance Then a Couple of Smokes

and a Changed Green Wire and Right a Way I Noticed a Sound Difference.

Man I Love This Thing with a Jackhammer in the Loop, Play-in it

Floored:headbanger: With This Thing You Really Can't Play it at

at Low Volumes. It Kind-a Sounds Choked-off, The More you Turn it up

The Better it Sounds and at about "8" its Unbelievable

ilarranaga

Reaction score
Hi guys,

it's a long time since the last reply was posted in this thread, but is the best I have found!
I have a really BIG problem with my amp + cab. The amp is a JCM900 (4100) and the cabinet a JCM900 1960A.
I bought both the amp and the cab used (secondhand) and I have always plugged the load cable in the jacks that the previous owner told me.
But as I never understood the reason to do it in the way he told me, I started to read this thread.
If I am right, I should select (4) 16 in the head (the real should be 16ohms since it is a head not a combo) and use the 16 ohms input in the cabinet (switched to mono). But here is the problem... I (and the previous owner of the amp+cab) have always plugged in the 4 ohms input of the cab, so... should not the amp have exploded long time ago?
Obviously, the amp is (yet) alive, so I thought that perhaps the amp was modified like cudamax2343 showed us in the photos of the post (green cable in the same pin with the violet cable) to use with a 4 ohms load.
Nevertheless, the OT is like American Viking showed in his post (green cable in the further terminal from the orange cable).
So, it seems to be configured to use with a 16 ohms load, but I am using it with a 4 ohms load. It should explode but it is working in this way for at least 5 years (or more).
My question is: is it any way to know (for example, with a multimeter) the actual configuration of the amp, to know if it is configured to 16 ohms or 4 ohms load?
Thanks a lot!!!:wave:

Latest posts