Still love my modded Origin

• Thread starter Antti Heikkinen
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Antti Heikkinen

Reaction score
I do really like my Origin 50 modded. I mean, this is just a camcorder demo and the amp placement isn't perfect against the wall and in a soundproofed rather dead room, but stil....I like it better than I ever did any of my numeorus JCM800s or JVMs or Plexi or Sv20 or whatever I've had. For this kind of oldskool sort of ACDC sound it's just damned perfection. All you need is a straight cord to amp and rock away.

Antti Heikkinen

Reaction score
It's a true one-trick-pony...I mean, yeah you can get a 'clean' sound out of it but basically, no matter what pickup you use, no matter what amp settings....it's all just pure ACDC. I like it best without the boost, but turned up loud and like 1/2 gain, and adjust the desired 'sharpness' or attack from like Powerage style to Highway to Hell style or even proto metal gain with the Tilt and Gain knobs only...and it's just damned glorious. Can't think of a better rig for the purpose.

Although, I had an SV20H and when I tested it with a really really good Fortin cab it was just as good, in fact almost identical in sound and feel. But that rig was worth like 1650€.... this I've been trying to selli for half that, ie 400 a piece, or a grand for the whole setup including that SG.

The guitar is some unknown 'Classic' brand with unknown no-brand pickups too, but it's a pretty nice real wood set neck SG. I put in SS frets in it too, plays great. Should be easily 300;- value but what can you do....music gear just doesn't sell these days.

rmlevasseur

Reaction score
I just picked up a stock origin 20 head and I have been really enjoying it. What mods did you do? I do think it gets a good ACDC but one trick pony? I hear a lot of classic tones in here, and very bluesy too when dialed in right.

Smoulton08

Reaction score
Is this with the Headfirst Plexi mod or the original mods he put up? Sounds great tone wise and I’ve been interested in doing the Plexi mod

C-Grin

Reaction score
That sounds pretty damn AC/DC to me. :dude: I would like to get after mine but don't want to eliminate the effects loop. If there was something else that could be done I would deffinityle think about it. But My Origin 20 sounds pretty good stock, a pedal or two makes a huge difference. A EQ in the loop makes it a lot more versatile also.

Antti Heikkinen

Reaction score
I just picked up a stock origin 20 head and I have been really enjoying it. What mods did you do? I do think it gets a good ACDC but one trick pony? I hear a lot of classic tones in here, and very bluesy too when dialed in right.
Well, yeah in the sense that it's only one channel, and you can't really have a pure clean out of it at volume. Or high gain. But it is a superb rock amp indeed.

It's the standard Headfirst mod, with the exception that I replaced the 2.7K(I think) resistor suggested for the cathode follower with a 10K, so it isn't quite as driven as the HF mod is. It's more like Van Halen territory really, a bigger resistor there makes it a lot more ACDC style. It would be easy to make it switchable too.

Antti Heikkinen

Reaction score
That sounds pretty damn AC/DC to me. :dude: I would like to get after mine but don't want to eliminate the effects loop. If there was something else that could be done I would deffinityle think about it. But My Origin 20 sounds pretty good stock, a pedal or two makes a huge difference. A EQ in the loop makes it a lot more versatile also.
Headfirst sells a ready made board 'zero loss loop' for like $20 or whatever, which is an easy install and brings back the loop functionality. I added that in the 20W version but didn't bother with the 50.

The orginal is a great pedal platform for sure, but with two tubes in the preamp the sound is much more complex and less fizzy even without any pedals.

Antti Heikkinen

Reaction score
Is this with the Headfirst Plexi mod or the original mods he put up? Sounds great tone wise and I’ve been interested in doing the Plexi mod
This is the original 'jcm800' mod basically, only I used a higher value cathode follower resistor because the original was more like Van Halen level drive. I did try it, but I much prefer a little less gain - can always add some more with a dirt pedal in front.

FWIW, I've always been a JCM sound kinda guy. You know, older Priest, Maiden, ACDC, that's my sound preference. Never really liked Plexis, to me they're way too fizzy and harsh, unless you go full VH on them or something. The 2203/2204 are the best Marshalls ever made sonically in my book, and that's what I was looking for.

And honestly, I've owned the plexi and a number of different JCMs as well, SV20, JVMs, you name it....I think this HF mod origin does the best ACDC tone of anything I ever had, easily. I'm done with searching for that tone any more. The only amp I ever had that was just as good was an old 50W combo I had briefly (slightly modded, basically 2204 I think), still the type with the controls on top not the side...that was an incredible rock amp as well. I didn't keep that one bcause it was worrisomely noisy and I needed more versatility.

Last edited:

dtier

Reaction score
It's the mod talked about here?

Jason has made several video's on the Origin 20. The first was a JEL type hot rodded circuit followed by a Super Lead type mod. I can't recall if he covered the 2204 circuit mod but it will be similar to the JEL.