Suggested cab for 410h??

GIBSON67

Reaction score
If you use too little power one tends to push the power amp section into clipping which overheats the voice coils = not good.

More power runs cleaner at higher levels since you don't have to crank it and won't overheat the coils = good.

I'd have no worries taking a 50 watt head and running it to a Greenback all day long. How many times have you turned your 100 watt head up to 10?

Good?

This is just not true!

You'll blow your 25 watt Greenback very quickly if you crank a 50 watt amp into it. I blew a 50 watt Jensen by running a clean, 50 watt Marshall into it. It wasn't even distorting much.

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
This is just not true!

You'll blow your 25 watt Greenback very quickly if you crank a 50 watt amp into it. I blew a 50 watt Jensen by running a clean, 50 watt Marshall into it. It wasn't even distorting much.

And in the same respect, a 1W amp just cannot develop enough voltage/current to overheat a voicecoil on a 150W speeaker...

Let them believe whatever they wish!

Pat6969

Reaction score
I did some research and apparently I am wrong on the guitar speaker subject. I was going back to my days of designing and building car audio systems. In that area we always wanted 2 to 3 times more power than the speaker rating so we could deliver clean wattage without clipping. In those high SPL situations we didn't want distortion. In a guitar amp we want to generate distortion which can generate up to 1.5 times the rating. My bad!! I shouldn't have assumed both situations would be the same.

Ken

Reaction score
I did some research and apparently I am wrong on the guitar speaker subject. I was going back to my days of designing and building car audio systems. In that area we always wanted 2 to 3 times more power than the speaker rating so we could deliver clean wattage without clipping. In those high SPL situations we didn't want distortion. In a guitar amp we want to generate distortion which can generate up to 1.5 times the rating. My bad!! I shouldn't have assumed both situations would be the same.

Some people use the old Hi-Fi rule of thumb, like me. I'm running 50 watts RMS into 640 watts of speakers. I want the amp to make the distortion, not my speakers.

Ken