Surprised - Evh5150 Iii

• Thread starter Coronado
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Gianni

Reaction score
I would just love a Mesa Boogie amp, but they are extremely expensive in Europe. I could actually buy two JVM-410 Heads for the price of a Dual Rectifier! I am, however, thinking of getting one of these for home use:

BowerR64

Reaction score
I made a post once about the 5150 having a tone of pre-amp tubes and i thought it sounded insane to have so many pre-amp tubes i didnt realize that each channel uses its own set of pre-amp tubes which is a cool idea specially if you like rolling tubes around. You could run different tubes for each channel whether they are lower gain or warmer or what ever.

I kinda just assumed that each channel shared the same tubes.

The only problem is the support Marshall has the best fallowing and the best support.

I got an offer for a 5150 amp and i did some searching for issues and i found alot of people with issues with em but didnt seem to find many answer or fixes.

Almost every Marshall ive seen with any kind of issues there has always been a fix posted for it somewhere.

twothemax

Reaction score
issues were with the early models. have my 2014 for 3 years now no issues at all.
all the fixes were done on the newer models too. some component changes too!
for those who have not tried one , do yourself a favour and give one a test drive, i think you will be impressed.

Stringjunkie

Reaction score
I've had no issues with mine either for years now. As for support I have had email conversations directly with the designer of the amp when I first got it as it was biased cold from the factory and he gave me the info I needed, and the service dept has been great. The only issue I had was I didn't get a speaker cable with the head and the sent me a very nice one.
The only other problem is I have had 0 gas since I purchased it.

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Ha, just wait till you play the Stealth. You'll cream, and cream, and cream in your pants!

I love my Stealth, but I'm seriously considering selling it to help pay for my KPA.

saxon68

Just another voice in the mix.
Reaction score
Ha, just wait till you play the Stealth. You'll cream, and cream, and cream in your pants!

I love my Stealth, but I'm seriously considering selling it to help pay for my KPA.

Heres the thing, I am sure the stealth is awesome, but I am actually totally pleased with my 50 watt after a couple years, and have no urge to get another head, unless its a JVM410H, and honestly I may just get a modeler instead.
And as for their support, I emailed them that I had 2 cracked chicken head knobs and they sent me an entire new set without any questions. I guess they had a production problem with the knobs and it was a known thing.

I had the DSL40C and had to raise some quick cash so I offed it. When I was ready to purchase another I saw a ruckus here about the 50 watt EVH being awesome, watched some clips and grabbed one. My only real sticking point is wanting to get a cab with greenbacks to try, I have been using V30 and while I am happy with it, there a lots of bands who have a sound I love, and they use the greenback. I know this head sounded AMAZING on a Peavey XXX 4x12 cabinet, and I wouldn't mind trying on a 4x12 marshall. I have heard they are awesome on the EVH cab, but never ever see them used for near the price of a Marshall used.

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Oh, I understand. I had the 50W 5150III. Great amp, but if I didn't have an EVH at all, I'd get the Stealth no questions asked. It combines the best features from both the 50W and 100W version, and all three channels have their own presence and resonance controls!

Coronado

Reaction score
What about the Mini Recto? 25 watts I believe. How do they stack up against the full sized Rectos?

A4100K

Reaction score
The 5150 III's are pretty awesome amps for the money. I got my 50w used for 500 and change. One of the best bang for the buck purchases I've made. Throw an eq in the loop to dial out some of the really high end sizzle and they're badass!
5150&1960AC.JPG

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
Went to Sam Ash last night to compare the Mesa Mark III and the Dual Recto. I tried both and enjoyed playing both. They had a few Mesa's over at GC that I've been trying as well (Stiletto, Mark V, and a mini Recto 25 watt). Sam Ash has a decent collection of the EVH line, so I figured I would give them a try. Wow. I figured they would sound good, but I was really surprised by how versatile this amp is. I spent most of my time on the 50 watt running into an EVH 2x12 cab. Big, fat, chunky tone, 80's crisp, sharp tone... Even really impressive cleans. I've read a few threads where people have talked about how much they like their EVH, and now I know why. What really surprised me was how effortlessly this amp pushed out the heavy stuff without any background noise, hum or hiss. Pushed the volume up a bit and still quiet.

I've been looking for an amp that takes me into that Nu Metal tone (Slipknot type tone). Quick, responsive chug chords. I still love my Marshalls, but I've been searching for something just a bit different. I've been looking at the Mesa Mark series, Mesa Rectifier, and now I have to add the EVH 5150 III to the list. I also have to pick up a Marshall 8100. Recently heard some insane sounds, and you can buy them for a great price.
Yes , the EVH 50w kicks ass. I just took my 2205 Marshall back to Sam Ash to get the little 5150 lll lBX 15w. That little amp is major overdrive with little clean to speak of. 5 12ax7 , even the 1/4 power is loud.
I should have it next week !

twothemax

Reaction score
congrats on your new amp. excellent little monster for sure.
i got its big brother. cant go wrong.:cheers:

chiliphil1

Reaction score
Heres the thing, I am sure the stealth is awesome, but I am actually totally pleased with my 50 watt after a couple years, and have no urge to get another head, unless its a JVM410H, and honestly I may just get a modeler instead.
And as for their support, I emailed them that I had 2 cracked chicken head knobs and they sent me an entire new set without any questions. I guess they had a production problem with the knobs and it was a known thing.

I had the DSL40C and had to raise some quick cash so I offed it. When I was ready to purchase another I saw a ruckus here about the 50 watt EVH being awesome, watched some clips and grabbed one. My only real sticking point is wanting to get a cab with greenbacks to try, I have been using V30 and while I am happy with it, there a lots of bands who have a sound I love, and they use the greenback. I know this head sounded AMAZING on a Peavey XXX 4x12 cabinet, and I wouldn't mind trying on a 4x12 marshall. I have heard they are awesome on the EVH cab, but never ever see them used for near the price of a Marshall used.

You could always buy the greenbacks 1 at a time and replace until you have a set. Also an X with v30's may not be terrible.

Also, have you looked into the EVH 2x12"?? It's not too expensive.

What about the Mini Recto? 25 watts I believe. How do they stack up against the full sized Rectos?

A lot less bottom end and more "mid hump"

View attachment 38622 View attachment 38621

Piece of shit? That's one argument. The more compelling arguments point to you. I've had three of them now and have the two pictured. Both rigs are phenomenal......to get to piece of shit tells me either your amp was busted or it's you.

Hang on now.. I would never call the JVM a POS but for a lot of people it just doesn't do it for them, me included. I know I'm not a good player but I also know that the JVM just isn't my amp and compared to some other offerings in the market it really isn't anything special.

Coronado

Reaction score
upload_2016-12-22_8-25-36.png

Sent the wife the info on the Mesa 25 watt Recto - just checked my cart and it looks like she ordered it! :D

Went back and forth, then back again a hundred times, trying to decide on which amp to get. It was driving me nuts. Couldn't decide on the Mesa Mark, Dual or Triple Recto, or the EVH5150 III. After all that, I decided to give the 25 watt Mesa Rec a try. As much as I love to record, I then thought about my different cabs with different speakers (4x12 w V30's, 1x12 G12H-30, 1x12 82' G12T-75, ENGL 1x12 V60) that I can use with the 25 watt Mesa. I think I can get a lot more out of the smaller watt Mesa, where I would really only be able to run the 50 watt or higher Recto through my 4x12 (which would be awesome, but I'm anxious to try the Mesa 25 watt with the different cabs and speakers). If I just cant dial in the tone I like with the mini Recto, then I'll send it back and put it towards its big brothers.

I've watched a handful of videos on the comparison between the mini and the larger Rects, and you can definitely tell a difference (I wasn't able to find a mini to play in person and try out). The higher watt Recto's seem to have a deep bass responsiveness (and I like that a lot). But, from what I can tell, the mini did a pretty good job, and its quite versatile. I'm kind of going in on this somewhat blind, not being able to play it in person, but I figure if its not what I was hoping for, I'll bring it in and put it towards the larger Recto. :yesway:

4Horseman

Reaction score
Coronado, if you decide you want the higher watt head, mesa makes a 1x12 90w cab that can handle it. I picked up a mesa 1x12 widebody closed back cab a few weeks ago and it sounds great. I've been running 100w heads into it and am very happy with it. I've got the triple crown coming and this should be a great match.

chiliphil1

Reaction score
View attachment 38698

Sent the wife the info on the Mesa 25 watt Recto - just checked my cart and it looks like she ordered it! :D

Went back and forth, then back again a hundred times, trying to decide on which amp to get. It was driving me nuts. Couldn't decide on the Mesa Mark, Dual or Triple Recto, or the EVH5150 III. After all that, I decided to give the 25 watt Mesa Rec a try. As much as I love to record, I then thought about my different cabs with different speakers (4x12 w V30's, 1x12 G12H-30, 1x12 82' G12T-75, ENGL 1x12 V60) that I can use with the 25 watt Mesa. I think I can get a lot more out of the smaller watt Mesa, where I would really only be able to run the 50 watt or higher Recto through my 4x12 (which would be awesome, but I'm anxious to try the Mesa 25 watt with the different cabs and speakers). If I just cant dial in the tone I like with the mini Recto, then I'll send it back and put it towards its big brothers.

I've watched a handful of videos on the comparison between the mini and the larger Rects, and you can definitely tell a difference (I wasn't able to find a mini to play in person and try out). The higher watt Recto's seem to have a deep bass responsiveness (and I like that a lot). But, from what I can tell, the mini did a pretty good job, and its quite versatile. I'm kind of going in on this somewhat blind, not being able to play it in person, but I figure if its not what I was hoping for, I'll bring it in and put it towards the larger Recto. :yesway:

Seems like a good plan. Just be advised that the mini needs to be loud to sound good. Don't know why but I can play my 100 watt recto quieter than I could play the mini.

Hopefully it works out for you though.

Coronado

Reaction score
Seems like a good plan. Just be advised that the mini needs to be loud to sound good. Don't know why but I can play my 100 watt recto quieter than I could play the mini.

Hopefully it works out for you though.

Awesome, thanks Phil! I hope the tone of the mini is close to the Dual Recto - I can do loud volume, as most of my cabs I run in an ISO chamber when I crank them. I'm hoping its close to the Recto since I'm really looking to use it for recording. I plan to blend it with different amps (JCM800, 1987, DSL, JVM, Orange, etc...) and I think it will help add some extra low end (at least I hope it will).

I found a few clips of the mini that I thought sounded really good and gave that tone and low end thump I was looking for. I'd like to run it through my ENGL cab and my 4x12 w/ V30s (not sure how it will sound with a Gt75 or G12H?). I read some great reviews on the mini and they say it can really put out the noise. I'm hoping that with 25 watts, it should have enough oomph to move those V30s, either in a 4x12 or at least in the 1x12.

I have my fingers crossed and really hope I dig what I hear. If not, I'll have to make a run and put it towards the larger watt Recto. :fingersx:

Coronado

Reaction score
Coronado, if you decide you want the higher watt head, mesa makes a 1x12 90w cab that can handle it. I picked up a mesa 1x12 widebody closed back cab a few weeks ago and it sounds great. I've been running 100w heads into it and am very happy with it. I've got the triple crown coming and this should be a great match.

Oh man, that sounds awesome! I'd love to hear that bad boy! I'm hoping that the 25 watter can provide that low end sound and awesome Recto tone. We'll see if our friends in Petaluma can craft a kick ass 25 watt Recto, or if they should stick to making the big boys! :cheers: