• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

SV20 vs Friedman Dirty Shirley

• Thread starter tallcoolone
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

tallcoolone

Reaction score
OK, it's a Twin Sister but that's just 2 Shirleys so... Same tune, same venue, different amps. Also different mics as the earlier vid isn't mine thinking it was just a camera or phone mic. I hung my phone with a little Shure attached this weekend and IMO the audio is much better. Playing them the Marshall is 'drier' if that makes sense? I love the top end--the Friedman doesn't chime the same way. But the Marshall can't come close to the thump of the Friedman. In the end though, splitting hairs, both sound and feel great.

Pretty funny realizing I had my tone knob down AND I was on the wrong pickup lol--stumble out of the gate!

Last edited:

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, it's a Twin Sister but that's just 2 Shirleys so... Same tune, same venue, different amps. Also different mics as the earlier vid isn't mine thinking it was just a camera or phone mic. I hung my phone with a little Shure attached this weekend and IMO the audio is much better. Playing them the Marshall is 'drier' if that makes sense? I love the top end--the Friedman doesn't chime the same way. But the Marshall can't come close to the thump of the Friedman. In the end though, splitting hairs, both sound and feel great.

Pretty funny realizing I had my tone knob down AND I was on the wrong pickup lol--stumble out of the gate!

Great job man!

I liked the Marshall, it seemed to cut through better to my ears.

tallcoolone

Reaction score
Both sound great! Well done.

Great job man!

I liked the Marshall, it seemed to cut through better to my ears.
Thanks for checking it out! I agree about the Marshall, although the TS is a great amp. I think I had the ‘resonance’ up around noon—next time that will be much lower, this kind of music doesn’t need that kind of low end girth.

TXOldRedRocker

Classic Rock or die! -- Patrick Henry
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Excellent playing. Love the double-creams.

I prefer the Marshall. I would describe it as a more full tone. Definitely cuts through better, to my ears. Friedman is too much low end and not enough mids and highs, in this side-by-side comparison.

El Gringo

Reaction score
Bravo :applause::headbanger::hbang: I liked both clips and they both sounded good , blindfolded I would not be able to pick up which was which amp . Which wah wah are you using please ? Killer guitar work and ditto for your awesome use of the wah as it sounded awesome . I told you before that I like your vocalist and I still do, very good job of getting his vocals in the upper range, which I have to think is not the easiest thing to do . You Guys rock and I love it as it sounded so pure and awesome . Keep rocking and keep posting them as I am enjoying them and would love to be in your neck of the woods to check you guys out live ! BRAVO BIG TIME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tallcoolone

Reaction score
Excellent playing. Love the double-creams.

I prefer the Marshall. I would describe it as a more full tone. Definitely cuts through better, to my ears. Friedman is too much low end and not enough mids and highs, in this side-by-side comparison.
Thanks TX! I agree but I’m thinking some of that low end is b/c I had the resonance up to noon. In the future I’ll keep it down around 9:00 and I bet that overwhelming thump tones down quite a bit.

tallcoolone

Reaction score
Bravo :applause::headbanger::hbang: I liked both clips and they both sounded good , blindfolded I would not be able to pick up which was which amp . Which wah wah are you using please ? Killer guitar work and ditto for your awesome use of the wah as it sounded awesome . I told you before that I like your vocalist and I still do, very good job of getting his vocals in the upper range, which I have to think is not the easiest thing to do . You Guys rock and I love it as it sounded so pure and awesome . Keep rocking and keep posting them as I am enjoying them and would love to be in your neck of the woods to check you guys out live ! BRAVO BIG TIME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thx brutha! Yeah Mike is fantastic—not only his voice and range but how engaged he is with every song. Despite what us guitar players think it is ALL about your singer. If he’s reading lyrics or just standing like a statue u r doomed lol

The wah is the Xotic XW-1–best wah I’ve ever used. Incredibly vocal but also with a large sweep. Smaller in size and weight as well which is great. Only issue with it is a momentary gap when engaging which on any other wah would be a deal breaker but this one is so badass I work around it as much as I can.

Thx again for checking it out! Both of these amps are incredible and I look forward to giving the Friedman another shot after some fine tuning

paul-e-mann

Reaction score

Dude you need a wizard suit! :yesway:

El Gringo

Reaction score
Thx brutha! Yeah Mike is fantastic—not only his voice and range but how engaged he is with every song. Despite what us guitar players think it is ALL about your singer. If he’s reading lyrics or just standing like a statue u r doomed lol

The wah is the Xotic XW-1–best wah I’ve ever used. Incredibly vocal but also with a large sweep. Smaller in size and weight as well which is great. Only issue with it is a momentary gap when engaging which on any other wah would be a deal breaker but this one is so badass I work around it as much as I can.

Thx again for checking it out! Both of these amps are incredible and I look forward to giving the Friedman another shot after some fine tuning
Oh yeah I can't wait to see and hear your impressions on the Friedman (love Friedman and Soldano ) Also so true what you said about singers . You guys rock mightily and I love your guitar work . Keep posting the vids !!!!!!!!!

ken361

Reaction score
The DS is a jtm 45 modified amp I can see it being thicker. Does it have more gain than the vintage modern LDM ?

Moony

Reaction score
Judging from the videos only (and without taking into account the various variables that could also have an impact on the sound): Marshall - by a mile!

The Marshall sits much better in the mix, you even hear those "woody" mids (nice guitar btw!).

Bewlay

Reaction score
I read your post a couple of times and unless I'm missing something, you didn't say which is which! I'm guessing the first is the Marshall? Can't quite see.
(Fwiw, I would be partial to the tone of the first vid :) Great playing by the way!

Bewlay

Reaction score
Ah...just watched the top video fullscreen and I can see the SV20H underneath, it looks like a SC20?