• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

SV20 vs Friedman Dirty Shirley

• Thread starter tallcoolone
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LoudStroud

Reaction score
Ditto what PurplePlexi said....Both sound great, but the Marshall is more authentic to Zep. The Friedman sounds more Alice In Chains and modern era. More low end scooped mid's.

When playing at home, a Marshall can sound bright with little low end. Vs boutique amps that sound more full and pleasing sitting in front of. As a former boutique amp builder, that was always something we tried to strike a proper balance. You can always rely on a Marshall to cut through and sit on top of any mix, effortlessly. Not always the case with an amp with accented low end. My first experience with that was back in early 90's with a VHT Pittbull head, where at a gig the soundman kept asking me to roll off the bass...all the way until the bass was completely off and the mid knob maxed. I sold the amp the following week and returned to my trusty smallbox 50watt Lead Marshall.

The SV20's totally do the trick.

tallcoolone

Reaction score
Both great. The SV is more authentic (surprisingly) - just got that edge. I like the DS though - in my limited experience it stays more 'open' than some Friedmans. Friedmen?
Yes agreed. This is my first time out with the TS so I’m still learning how it reacts at volume. It is much more open and present than the BE I used to have thats for sure.

tallcoolone

Reaction score
When playing at home, a Marshall can sound bright with little low end. Vs boutique amps that sound more full and pleasing sitting in front of.
1000%. I like Friedman and have dealt with Dave in the past he’s a great guy but this is why some home only players claim Dave’s amps are ‘better Marshalls’ and I always disagree. Good example here—I also play at home mostly and I didn’t dial this amp in correctly for what I was going for. Because I was playing at home at lower volumes. At those same lower volumes a good Marshall can be bright and shrill.

EC Strat

Reaction score
Thx brutha! Yeah Mike is fantastic—not only his voice and range but how engaged he is with every song. Despite what us guitar players think it is ALL about your singer. If he’s reading lyrics or just standing like a statue u r doomed lol

The wah is the Xotic XW-1–best wah I’ve ever used. Incredibly vocal but also with a large sweep. Smaller in size and weight as well which is great. Only issue with it is a momentary gap when engaging which on any other wah would be a deal breaker but this one is so badass I work around it as much as I can.

Thx again for checking it out! Both of these amps are incredible and I look forward to giving the Friedman another shot after some fine tuning
I use an Xotic Wah also on my main board and agree with everything you said. Incredible Wah- sooo vocal and great tone to it. The pause doesn’t bother me at all. I don’t notice it when playing live

middy

Reaction score
Ditto what PurplePlexi said....Both sound great, but the Marshall is more authentic to Zep. The Friedman sounds more Alice In Chains and modern era. More low end scooped mid's.

When playing at home, a Marshall can sound bright with little low end. Vs boutique amps that sound more full and pleasing sitting in front of. As a former boutique amp builder, that was always something we tried to strike a proper balance. You can always rely on a Marshall to cut through and sit on top of any mix, effortlessly. Not always the case with an amp with accented low end. My first experience with that was back in early 90's with a VHT Pittbull head, where at a gig the soundman kept asking me to roll off the bass...all the way until the bass was completely off and the mid knob maxed. I sold the amp the following week and returned to my trusty smallbox 50watt Lead Marshall.

The SV20's totally do the trick.
Yep. Bass amp, bass drum and cymbals are going to bury you unless you’re high mid focused like a proper Marshall.

LoudStroud

Reaction score
Yep. Bass amp, bass drum and cymbals are going to bury you unless you’re high mid focused like a proper Marshall.
Agree. The elec guitar is an upper midrange voiced instrument. The Marshall, among other vintage amps, like blonde & brown Fenders, focused on that frequency range, generally ignoring the deep low end.