SV20 - Whats the best AC/DC settings you've dialed in?

• Thread starter svinyard
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

svinyard

Reaction score
If only I knew how he modded that amp :)
So this is perhaps that amp mod: Apparently this is what was done to this SV20 at least: "added choke, modified the circuit for a less aggressive tone and upgraded all the signal coupling caps."

I can't interpret the circuit changes unfortunately.

EDIT: This is what he does to the ST20 that works on SV20. Tho he doesn't describe any circuit changes. I'm guessing its not much but I can't find it.

- Replace all signal caps with Vishay MKT1813's
- Install a 5H choke instead of the 150R dropper, a Deluxe Reverb choke is perfect.
- I bypass the original lossy (it really sucks) FX loop and install a Zero-Loss FX board, there's a perfectly sized cutout on the main board that allows the FX loop board to be placed.

325574271_727268168780470_4823181304647060262_n.jpg

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
Embarrassing newbie question here. Several posters above have written "upper left input". Is that hi or low, 1 or 2 ? I have the SV20 combo version, and the holes seem to be opposite to those on the head. Just want to be sure what everyone is referring to. And yes, I realise the combo version was a "mistake" relative to the head. However, found it used for a price that was just too good to pass up. thanks
No mistake...you can still plug the amp into an extension speaker cab and not use the combo speaker at all, or both if you so wish. You just need to make sure you're running a "balanced" load if you do.

What?

Reaction score
EDIT: This is what he does to the ST20 that works on SV20. Tho he doesn't describe any circuit changes. I'm guessing its not much but I can't find it.

- Replace all signal caps with Vishay MKT1813's
- Install a 5H choke instead of the 150R dropper, a Deluxe Reverb choke is perfect.
- I bypass the original lossy (it really sucks) FX loop and install a Zero-Loss FX board, there's a perfectly sized cutout on the main board that allows the FX loop board to be placed.

I would imagine that none of those are making any big changes in the sound of the amp. Different caps (maybe tighter tolerance) might cause some slight change in sound. The choke might lower noise and have some affect on feel. I imagine that the zero loss effects loop could be an upgrade if using the effects loop, but an effects loop on a 1959/1987 amp is pretty much a waste any way.

faerdi

Reaction score
I would imagine that none of those are making any big changes in the sound of the amp. Different caps (maybe tighter tolerance) might cause some slight change in sound. The choke might lower noise and have some affect on feel. I imagine that the zero loss effects loop could be an upgrade if using the effects loop, but an effects loop on a 1959/1987 amp is pretty much a waste any way.
So you think it‘s the speakes?

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
It doesn't take amp mods or Schaefer wireless units, just an SG into a Marshall (preferably a non-master Marshall). The guitar used is more important than many think, the SG has a unique sound. Didn't realize this until I finally bought an SG. For Malcom, need that Filtertron and bridge/tailpiece configuration. If you're trying to nail Angus's tone, and you're not wearing those velvet knickers, game over. :nono:

Last edited:

svinyard

Reaction score
@marshallmellowed Agreed my man...agreed, on the guitar part at least. I think there is definitely something special about the Plexi into a Sheffer unit and a legit cab. It's just different. You can even hear it on that video by Dries...immediately it's like "Oh damn thats good!!!" and that's just Dries doing a shite recording too.

IMG_4666.jpg

IMG_4665.jpg

Last edited:

faerdi

Reaction score
Is the SV20 gainier than an actual 1959 Superlead?

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
Maybe "perceived' as as having more gain, at least my SV20 does. The 1959 just sounds different in general, bigger, bolder... It's just physics, no way around it, the smaller amps will sound smaller (not recordings, in the room).

mAx___

Reaction score
In my experience no matter how much you tweak the amp settings nothing will have more influence in the final sound than the speakers.
Connect any decent amp to a 4x12 with 70's Blackbacks, plug the right SG into it and you're going to be much closer to Angus' tone than using the perfect Superlead through a cabinet loaded with JBLs or Jensens. Just an example, you get the idea.

guitarbilly74

Reaction score
With the older Super Leads, it depends on the amp, I think.

My '77 has as much gain as the SV20H I had, but on the Super Lead the tone gets a bit too thick when maxed, while the SV20 sounds a bit leaner.

svinyard

Reaction score
I messed around with my setup and the Storm pedal. That pedal really does some magic in a few ways.

When you listen to Angus BiB live tone (at least recording of it), it's not super loose and open like a plexi often is when cranked up...which was frustrating me a bit as I had to compromise EQ things when it was turned up to control the tone. They get rowdy and everything sustains etc. However, when you hear Angus play on BiB, his tone is tighter there, even on the hard hitting chords. It's unmistakable. It's also got some more grit to it, a bit of compression and some BITE.

The Storm pedal really helps bring it together without the compromises. It's really neat how it works without coloring the tone. It def tightens some of the rowdy, unruly tones with its optical compressor and makes more usable and less mushy while still being at Volume 6 or 7 (which is a LOT for the SV). Then the gain is really light, but it adds that bit of grit and grind you hear. It allows me to EQ the Amp differently, which is cool too. The pedals fattens the tone as well. Maybe a more proper

Here's my settings:

1- SG Tone knob- 6 or 7 (I started with this to get a bit darker)
2- Storm pedal: Gain - 3 o'clock, Limiter 11 o'clock, Boost 9 o'clock (these were recommended by Solo Dallas)
3- SV20: Presence - 5 to 8, Bass - 4 or 5, Mids - 4 or 5, Treble - 6 or 7, High Treble - 6

At first I was like, man that's a heavy hitting tone...and so I went back and listened to the isolated tracks etc and sure enough it's heavy (from what I can tell). Very fun tone with some grit but still that Plexi power tube tone to it. It's always crazy how different things are at 110 dB too lol. Man things are better when those speakers are working hard! I've just got the 1965 cab but sure sounds good to me! Neverthless, fun times.

79 2203

Reaction score
It doesn't take amp mods or Schaefer wireless units, just an SG into a Marshall (preferably a non-master Marshall). The guitar used is more important than many think, the SG has a unique sound. Didn't realize this until I finally bought an SG. For Malcom, need that Filtertron and bridge/tailpiece configuration. If you're trying to nail Angus's tone, and you're not wearing those velvet knickers, game over. :nono:
Thank you. All this talk of wireless unit pedals and modding amps is doing my head in. The right guitar into a 4 holer into broken in old Green/Blackbacks/12-65’s and lots of volume(and some skill) and you’re set.

What?

Reaction score
So you think it‘s the speakes?

I think that is mostly it. I haven't heard anyone get very close to that sound without vintage celestions.

I think SoloDallas is trying to sell some gear. ;)

My Ceriatone set at all 3's from presence to volume gets that kind of sound, and I think the right speakers are all that is missing to nail it. And other than the really good build quality, the Ceriatone isn't special to 1987 type amps that I can tell.

Last edited:

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
Thank you. All this talk of wireless unit pedals and modding amps is doing my head in. The right guitar into a 4 holer into broken in old Green/Blackbacks/12-65’s and lots of volume(and some skill) and you’re set.
That's my take. The sound of AC/DC was alive and well long before Angus ever touched a wireless unit. My favorite AC/DC tones are from the early days, guitar>cable>amp>cab (correct versions of each).

Last edited:

h1bda00

Reaction score
We're taking about the louder input on the bright channel (Channel 1).

By the way, if you feel the combo is a "mistake", you can easily move your amp into a headshell. It's the exact same chassis.
Thanks a lot for the clarification. By "mistake" i meant only the combo vs head of course. still a great amp, it's just annoying having the controls backwards and on the back side of the top.

h1bda00

Reaction score
No mistake...you can still plug the amp into an extension speaker cab and not use the combo speaker at all, or both if you so wish. You just need to make sure you're running a "balanced" load if you do.
thanks. yes, that's one good thing is suppose. just annoying (to me) having the controls where they are. backwards compared to the head, on top at the back, etc. by "balanced load", you mean making sure the impedance of the two speakers - the internal one and whatever i add outside - are the same?

79 2203

Reaction score
That's my take. The sound of AC/DC was alive and well long before Angus ever touched a wireless unit. My favorite AC/DC tones are from the early days, guitar>cable>amp>cab (correct versions of each).
Exactly. And his tone didn’t change noticeably pre to post wireless unit. Wasn’t there a video from Paris in 79 where his wireless goes down and he uses an instrument cable for the rest of the gig ?? Still sounds like Angus. And for those who say the wireless adds gain you just can’t get from the amp, that Paris show would have to be one of the most gained up I’ve ever heard Angus.

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
C
thanks. yes, that's one good thing is suppose. just annoying (to me) having the controls where they are. backwards compared to the head, on top at the back, etc. by "balanced load", you mean making sure the impedance of the two speakers - the internal one and whatever i add outside - are the same?
Correct. However, you can run 8 & 16 ohm loads together with this amp. E.g. if you had an 8 ohm cab you plug that into one of the 2 x 8 / 1 x 4 ohm sockets. You the move the onboard 16 ohm speaker to one of the 2 x 16 / 1 x 8 ohm sockets. This lets the OT "see" a balanced load (50% load from each pair of sockets).

freefrog

Reaction score
I like how "SoloDallas" Phil puts in perspective the idea that AC/DC tone is "just" guitars and amps:

These ones are funny too...

LOL...

Regarding guitars, BTW: all SG's won't work for ACDC... a 1970 SG Deluxe whose pickup is far from the bridge is not the best tool, for instance... Paradoxically, the stock bridge mini-humbucker of a cheap Epiphone Wilshire RI would almost sound closer to a T-Top in a SG Std. :p

Many ways to skin a cat. Doesn't seem to make that much difference when the cat is named Young, anyway. ;-)

79 2203

Reaction score
I like how "SoloDallas" Phil puts in perspective the idea that AC/DC tone is "just" guitars and amps:

These ones are funny too...

LOL...

Regarding guitars, BTW: all SG's won't work for ACDC... a 1970 SG Deluxe whose pickup is far from the bridge is not the best tool, for instance... Paradoxically, the stock bridge mini-humbucker of a cheap Epiphone Wilshire RI would almost sound closer to a T-Top in a SG Std. :p

Many ways to skin a cat. Doesn't seem to make that much difference when the cat is named Young, anyway. ;-)
I think anyone familiar with the sound of classic Marshalls, and is into ACDC tones, has always known there’s something besides the gear going on with the LTBR sound. It’s obvious to me it was a conscious effort by the producers to give it an aggressive, in your face vibe, and you’re not gonna get that just from changing to MV amps or using an un-broken in Blackback.
But once you filter out the influence of the studio, it still sounds like a SG/Gretsch straight into a 4 holer to me.

Latest posts