SV20H - Buyers remorse ? Cabinet size, Noobie in need of advice

• Thread starter Hendrix_fan1990
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I've recently Purchased the SV20H with a 2x12 cabinet. I also use a Harley Benton pa-100 Attenuator. I'm completely new to Marshal amps and I'm a MASSIVE Hendrix fan. I'm not well versed in gear and amplifiers so please forgive my lack of understanding of things. My goal was to get a great Hendrix tone, at bedroom levels.....with an attenuator (yea I know, not easy Jimi played loud, SV20H is LOUD etc...)

Got a little bit of a dilemma. I'm beginning to have buyers remorse and think I made a mistake buying this amp.

A few issues I have:

* The physical Cabinet size ( fitted with 2 x Bass cone 55Hz Heritage Greenbacks ) :
1). The SV20H with the cab (upright cabinet) is a little big for my box room. Sure I measured up and it sits in the corner of my box room ok. But its VERY chunky (or as I like to call it "Chonky"). It looked "thinner" in the YouTube videos I've seen, I think the upright 2x12 was a mistake. A smaller cab would suit my room a lot better. The look of the amp isn't bad, it just seems to be "extra", its almost as if it has this over whelming presence.

Is there a smaller cab size (doesn't have to be marshal ) that anyone here can recommend? Preferably fitted with the same greenbacks ? Or even a smaller empty cab that I can fit a green back into?

* The tone of the amp

2). Am I missing something? I'm playing it with the Harley Benton Attenuator on and it sounds.....ok. I was expecting a little more from it. I was expecting something a little more distinct, like I heard in the YouTube videos (even with attenuation) sound so much better. What am I doing wrong ? Is the attenuator killing the tone? (I did wire it up wrong at the start - seems better now, but still left wondering)
There's an awful lot I don't understand about the SV20H (a lot of settings and ports going on with the back of the amp: FX LOOP? 19 OHMS, LOUD AMPS?). I think I need to spend more time with it.

Are there any tutorials on this website to teach me about the SV20H settings (preferably to achieve the Hendrix tone I CRAVE)?
Any other workarounds to play at bedroom levels ?
Are there any amp settings you would recommend for a better (Hendrix) tone?

N.B. Any suggestions for Bedroom Marshall amp to pull off of those Hendrix tones? I understand the SV20H is a LOUD amp. Everyone I spoke to suggested it with an attenuator.

3). Have any of you purchased something you regretted only to find that you just needed to spend more time with it ? Is this normal ?

I could just be panicking a little as I've spent a little over a £1000

and again, thanks for the help and suggestions !

BlueX

Reaction score
Among 20W amps I think you've got a good one, for the tone you're looking for. Johan Segeborn has a lot of YT videos, including SV20 demos. He tries out different cabs as well. Below is one example. More will probably pop up in your feed.

If possible I would keep the cab even if it's a bit big. Volume usually gives you better tone (and Jimi played through 4x12 full stacks).

The HB attenuator might not be the best one, from what I've heard. If you can read schematics and solder you could build this excellent attenuator instead (have it myself):

Last edited:

svinyard

Reaction score
OK, so lets make sure you have the amp plugged into the cab correctly. There are a lot of ports back there. You want to run a SPEAKER cable (not just a guitar cable) from the head into the cab. You want to run from the same ohms jack on the head as to what ohms your cab is rated for. If its a 16ohm cab, then run from the 1x16ohm jack into cab. Sorry if you are aware of that already, but just wanted to check the easy stuff.

- Tell us exactly what tone/loudness knobs are set at.
- What exactly are your guitar's volume and tone knobs set at.
- Which input jack are you using? (there are 4 of them)
- Are you jumpering the input jacks? (where you plug a guitar cable from one input jack into the other one)

These are rowdy, versatile amps so getting to know some of the in's and out's helps to get what you want.

Edgar Frog

Reaction score
Are you talking about what you have is a 2x12 that is vertical with 1 speaker on top and one on the bottom? If so a smaller 1x12 cab or something will still take-up the same amount of space give or take a tiny bit. You are better off with 2 greenbacks instead of 1 IMHO. I say keep what you have because you more than likely will gain no extra space and loose out on better tone that you already have. It all won't seem so big once you have it for a little bit and get use to it. The only space that matters really is floor space not vertical space. Just like a a full stack takes up the same space as a half stack or even a 2x12 that sits horizontal (speakers side by side).

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I've recently Purchased the SV20H with a 2x12 cabinet. I also use a Harley Benton pa-100 Attenuator. I'm completely new to Marshal amps and I'm a MASSIVE Hendrix fan. I'm not well versed in gear and amplifiers so please forgive my lack of understanding of things. My goal was to get a great Hendrix tone, at bedroom levels.....with an attenuator (yea I know, not easy Jimi played loud, SV20H is LOUD etc...)

Got a little bit of a dilemma. I'm beginning to have buyers remorse and think I made a mistake buying this amp.

A few issues I have:

* The physical Cabinet size ( fitted with 2 x Bass cone 55Hz Heritage Greenbacks ) :
1). The SV20H with the cab (upright cabinet) is a little big for my box room. Sure I measured up and it sits in the corner of my box room ok. But its VERY chunky (or as I like to call it "Chonky"). It looked "thinner" in the YouTube videos I've seen, I think the upright 2x12 was a mistake. A smaller cab would suit my room a lot better. The look of the amp isn't bad, it just seems to be "extra", its almost as if it has this over whelming presence.

Is there a smaller cab size (doesn't have to be marshal ) that anyone here can recommend? Preferably fitted with the same greenbacks ? Or even a smaller empty cab that I can fit a green back into?

* The tone of the amp

2). Am I missing something? I'm playing it with the Harley Benton Attenuator on and it sounds.....ok. I was expecting a little more from it. I was expecting something a little more distinct, like I heard in the YouTube videos (even with attenuation) sound so much better. What am I doing wrong ? Is the attenuator killing the tone? (I did wire it up wrong at the start - seems better now, but still left wondering)
There's an awful lot I don't understand about the SV20H (a lot of settings and ports going on with the back of the amp: FX LOOP? 19 OHMS, LOUD AMPS?). I think I need to spend more time with it.

Are there any tutorials on this website to teach me about the SV20H settings (preferably to achieve the Hendrix tone I CRAVE)?

N.B. Any suggestions for Bedroom Marshall amp to pull off of those Hendrix tones? I understand the SV20H is a LOUD amp. Everyone I spoke to suggested it with an attenuator.

3). Have any of you purchased something you regretted only to find that you just needed to spend more time with it ? Is this normal ?

As for cab size, the SV20 vertical cab is as small as I'd personally go with the SV20. For Hendrix stuff, aside from going full blown 100w Plexi, you've probably done the best you can for an amp & cab. Beyond that, aside from the attenuator being used, you haven't provided a ton of info (guitar, pickups, amp configuration...).

Last edited:

speyfly

Reaction score
Yes, sometimes it takes a little while to get to know the amp and finding your tone may be as simple as rolling tubes. Cabs and speakers can make a difference, I prefer 1X12 cabs, allows me to mix and match cabs and speakers.

I need to ask a question and I mean you no disrespect. You didn't mention what guitar you're using and I will assume that you are playing a Strat, is this correct?

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

A few issues I have:

* The tone of the amp

1) Cabs don't get much smaller. As stated, even a 1x12 will take up as much floor space, and a smaller cab is not going to help with getting a big amp sound at low volume.

2) "Bedroom Volume" is difficult to achieve with even a 1 watt tube amp. Non-master volume amps need to be turned up to get overdrive tones, and burning off that energy going to the speaker with an attenuator will change the tone the more you attenuate.

3) Have you tried using an overdrive pedal? A good pedal can complement the amp to get more of a loud amp tone at lower volumes. You might get better "bedroom volume" tones with a pedal than cranking the amp and squashing the output with an attenuator. Even Hendrix used pedals...

Reaction score
OK, so lets make sure you have the amp plugged into the cab correctly. There are a lot of ports back there. You want to run a SPEAKER cable (not just a guitar cable) from the head into the cab. You want to run from the same ohms jack on the head as to what ohms your cab is rated for. If its a 16ohm cab, then run from the 1x16ohm jack into cab. Sorry if you are aware of that already, but just wanted to check the easy stuff.

- Tell us exactly what tone/loudness knobs are set at.
- What exactly are your guitar's volume and tone knobs set at.
- Which input jack are you using? (there are 4 of them)
- Are you jumpering the input jacks? (where you plug a guitar cable from one input jack into the other one)

These are rowdy, versatile amps so getting to know some of the in's and out's helps to get what you want.
Hi !

I have a Ernie Ball Speaker cable (purchased from Amazon) from the cab into the "Speaker Out" port on my attenuator (Harley Benton PA -100).
I then have a normal guitar lead / Jack going from the Attenuator "Input from amplifier" into the Amp.

The Cabs sticker says 8 ohms

The amps speaker lead is in the - 1x4 ohm | 2x8 ohm socket section (the 2x8 socket part specifically)

Jumpering inputs (a completely new thing to me btw) top right (2) and bottom left (1) there's a mini jack plugged into both sockets as many others have.

All the knobs have been at different settings I've been experimenting, I've pulled of some tones I suppose. Ive tried a fuzz pedal, its sounds pretty damn mediocre tbh. I found my Fender Super Champ XD to sound more charismatic, especially with the reverb!

Reaction score
Are you talking about what you have is a 2x12 that is vertical with 1 speaker on top and one on the bottom? If so a smaller 1x12 cab or something will still take-up the same amount of space give or take a tiny bit. You are better off with 2 greenbacks instead of 1 IMHO. I say keep what you have because you more than likely will gain no extra space and loose out on better tone that you already have. It all won't seem so big once you have it for a little bit and get use to it. The only space that matters really is floor space not vertical space. Just like a a full stack takes up the same space as a half stack or even a 2x12 that sits horizontal (speakers side by side).
The idea of fitting one green back into a 1x12 seems pretty interesting to me. The vertical height is actually bothering me a little, it just makes it look so "chunky" and bigger.
Would having 1 green back in a cab 1x12 make that much of a difference if I'm playing at bedroom levels anyway ? Im not a performer. Does having one really ruin the tone ? Isnt there a way I can try one of the cabs in this 2x12 and test / see how it sounds?

I'm getting kind of interested in the Fender Reverb amp - size, sound, tone reverb etc...

OR Perhaps I'm just getting hasty due to buyers remorse..

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

A few issues I have:

* The tone of the amp

Only 1 way to find out how much your attenuator is effecting your tone. Play without it. Go back and forth to see.

Yes attenuation changes tone especially certain kinds.

Speakers need to break in. Gonna take awhile for that to happen if playing quietly.

I have bought a few pieces of gear and found I didn't like them when others did. After trying to make them work for me and finding they didn't(especially amps)I sent them back. Returned within the period allocated. I'm finicky. 99% of The time I buy with a return period from a vendor. I have no hesitation returning something I don't like enough. I am very thorough when testing gear out and like you, ask questions when things aren't working out. I don't panic any more. Just conclude one way or another. Do I want it or not? Keep it simple. I don't get stuck with spendy buys.

Reaction score
Only 1 way to find out how much your attenuator is effecting your tone. Play without it. Go back and forth to see.

Yes attenuation changes tone especially certain kinds.

Speakers need to break in. Gonna take awhile for that to happen if playing quietly.

I have bought a few pieces of gear and found I didn't like them when others did. After trying to make them work for me and finding they didn't(especially amps)I sent them back. Returned within the period allocated. I'm finicky. 99% of The time I buy with a return period from a vendor. I have no hesitation returning something I don't like enough. I am very thorough when testing gear out and like you, ask questions when things aren't working out. I don't panic any more. Just conclude one way or another. Do I want it or not? Keep it simple. I don't get stuck with spendy buys.

Cant send mine back, its second hand from eBay. Will have to advertise and re-sell (if I choose to, still deciding with this amp).
Lesson learnt I suppose.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
THIS!!!!!

This dudes using a SV20H. Amazing cover! he's using the SAME amp, what is he doing differently ?!?!
He's also using an attenuator - "Two Notes- Torpedo 8 reactive load box " (Check the YouTube upload info tab)

but also - Softube - Tony Platt 1960BHW Cab IR (Some kind of software?)

an IR is a speaker simulator. His attenuator has a line out to the console. The line out has a filter (IR) that emulates a 1960HW cab...

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
Hi !

I have a Ernie Ball Speaker cable (purchased from Amazon) from the cab into the "Speaker Out" port on my attenuator (Harley Benton PA -100).
I then have a normal guitar lead / Jack going from the Attenuator "Input from amplifier" into the Amp.

The Cabs sticker says 8 ohms

The amps speaker lead is in the - 1x4 ohm | 2x8 ohm socket section (the 2x8 socket part specifically)

Jumpering inputs (a completely new thing to me btw) top right (2) and bottom left (1) there's a mini jack plugged into both sockets as many others have.

All the knobs have been at different settings I've been experimenting, I've pulled of some tones I suppose. Ive tried a fuzz pedal, its sounds pretty damn mediocre tbh. I found my Fender Super Champ XD to sound more charismatic, especially with the reverb!
You need to use a "speaker cable" for both connections, from the amp to the attenuator, and from the attenuator to the cab. You should never use an instrument cable on the "speaker out" jacks of an amp. Also, if a cab says "8 ohms", they're referring to the total cab impedance, not the individual speakers inside. Your cab has two 16 ohm speakers wired in parallel (8 ohms). When connecting to an amp or attenuator, you would connect to the "8 ohm" jack.

Last edited:

Latest posts