Svetlana Winged C Power tubes...

• Thread starter Adrian R
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Adrian R

Reaction score
I must announce how surprised I am about the performance of these new Winged C tubes.

I have tried scores of different power tubes in an all my various different amps over the years. They all were different to some degree...however the differences were not all that obvious.

I have only compared newer production tubes...all of the currently available New Sensor, JJ and Shuguang products. Out of all those tubes I found I liked the Shuguang and Tungsol EL-34B the most. They seemed to most classic sounding tubes..close to replicating the great Marshall tones I remember hearing and growing up with.

I always heard good things about the Winged C tubes, but by the time I got around to experimenting with power tubes they were no longer available.

I then bought an older DSL 100 that came equipped with them. I was amazed at how much better they sounded then my cherished Tungsol EL-34Bs. They looked older too...their brown bases were discolored...indicating many hours of use... However, they still sounded better then the brand new current production tubes in my stash.

They are really clear...and well balanced tubes...louder...more balls...more defined. They also nail that Marshall tone we all crave... I just replaced those tubes I got with the older DSL with brand new Winged Cs...just to safe...

Their pricey, but man they're worth it!

winged c.jpg

wakjob

Reaction score
100% agree Adrian...
I still have a new (old) pair stashed away for a future 50 watt build.

They are very different from other tubes I've rolled in Marshall amps.
I do like the Shug 34B's and the new EH's, but those =C= have something special going on.

Adrian R

Reaction score
100% agree Adrian...
I still have a new (old) pair stashed away for a future 50 watt build.

They are very different from other tubes I've rolled in Marshall amps.
I do like the Shug 34B's and the new EH's, but those =C= have something special going on.
They in hand feel more sturdy...and they glow uniquely..

HOT TUBES 70

Reaction score
I've heard guys talk about the old Mullards like this , may not be the same etc , but there is just something about the older production tubes it seems . Back years ago when i still played a lot of live shows , my 800's were all loaded with the Svetlana El34's , I loved the sound those would put out ...

purpleplexi

Reaction score
They are the bomb in a Marshall no doubt. I have one - the other one died. I just love the tight low end and the detail in the crunch.

Adrian R

Reaction score
They are the bomb in a Marshall no doubt. I have one - the other one died. I just love the tight low end and the detail in the crunch.

These are by far the best sounding tubes I have ever tried. They blow away all the new stuff. I just can't stop playing... you can get that early Schenker sound man... fretting notes...so rich...thick...sustaining..musical! I'm forever ruined...I don't know of any other tube out there that is close... Hopefully in the future someone can figure it out.

Neptical

Reaction score
Highly agree! Used these in my Mark III Boogies and they were by far the best. Also REALLY liked Tung-sol and EHX - especially their 12AX7s when running with them. VERY musical. You make me want to grab up more. What are you running for the preamp?

RobS

Reaction score
Highly agree! Used these in my Mark III Boogies and they were by far the best. Also REALLY liked Tung-sol and EHX - especially their 12AX7s when running with them. VERY musical. You make me want to grab up more. What are you running for the preamp?

love your avatar Neptical - Krull SLayer! Havent seen it for a while however have the DVD !

Sorry Adrian for the off topic !

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
These are by far the best sounding tubes I have ever tried. They blow away all the new stuff. I just can't stop playing... you can get that early Schenker sound man... fretting notes...so rich...thick...sustaining..musical! I'm forever ruined...I don't know of any other tube out there that is close... Hopefully in the future someone can figure it out.
I have a pair of winged c in my 2204 I like them. I thought Shuguang EL34B sounded very similar in my tests.

Rozman62

Reaction score
I've used Winged C's in my JMP 2204 since day 1. Would not think about using anything else unless they died. ANOS and NOS ones are real pricey. One of the best rugged tubes ever made.

JP2036

Reaction score

Right is the old SED =C=.
Left is the current Svets and they are outstanding IMO.
If i agreed with everything you say Adrian that would mean i value your opinion better than my own.
Plus we've never met & you're just some guy on the computer to me.
I can only go by my experience.
I used the Tungsol EL-34B for a decade and found them okay but a little harsh.
SED'=C='s are okay and plenty powerful but the current Svetlana's are super nice and have a better midrange than any of these three.
Ive also heard folks say the Svetlana's lack bottom end.
NOT TRUE AT ALL.
Im sticking with these for now. And for $90 a matched quad why the F not

Adrian R

Reaction score

Right is the old SED =C=.
Left is the current Svets and they are outstanding IMO.
If i agreed with everything you say Adrian that would mean i value your opinion better than my own.
Plus we've never met & you're just some guy on the computer to me.
I can only go by my experience.
I used the Tungsol EL-34B for a decade and found them okay but a little harsh.
SED'=C='s are okay and plenty powerful but the current Svetlana's are super nice and have a better midrange than any of these three.
Ive also heard folks say the Svetlana's lack bottom end.
NOT TRUE AT ALL.
Im sticking with these for now. And for $90 a matched quad why the F not

Honestly whether or not you agree with me is completely irrelevant... we all have our opinions. I have yet to try out the new Sventlana...but based on what I have used in the past made by New Sensor, primarily Tungsol, EH, Mullard...etc...I'd can only *guess* they wouldn't be as good. Even in the picture you've posted (thanks) I can see differences between the old and new. The old C, just from its appearance looks more substantial and better made. All I can say is that I have tried out scores of many different tubes over the past decade or so, and these original Sventlana's are by far the best sounding power tubes I've ever heard. In fact, I still cannot believe the difference! Their so much richer, tighter..musical...they really nail that old Marshall sound I remember hearing back from the 20th century... I can't stop playing when I jam...they just sound that good.

JP2036

Reaction score
I just told you they're good lol maybe you missed that.
Well if you're dropping $300+ bucks on 15 year old tubes then $90 bucks should be no trip.
Happy trails buckeroo.

Adrian R

Reaction score
I just told you they're good lol maybe you missed that.
Well if you're dropping $300+ bucks on 15 year old tubes then $90 bucks should be no trip.
Happy trails buckeroo.

Actually I got them for $200...new which indeed is pricey, but man...hate to say it..but worth it! They'll probably outlast new NS stuff by a mile...and they sound way better..so...

jason_s

Reaction score
My TSL122 came loaded with them. They always sounded great until they red plated and the amp went back to the shop. Lost 2 or 3 quads that way. I go back and forth between JJ EL34II’s and 6CA7’s.