Tell your gavourite guitarist of all time ?

• Thread starter Lespaulnmarshall
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Lespaulnmarshall

Reaction score
Hey guy's i have to go a little bit off topic now, sorry for that, but i don't want to make too much threads, what do you guy's think about getting a holy grail reverb? i want to get one but do i need one ?

Here is my current rig:

Main Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard or Fender Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials

To

Boss TU-15 Tuner, Cry Baby Wah, Fuzz Face Jimi Hendrix Signature w/ Adapter Mod, Fulltone Fulldrive II, Carl Martin Uni-Vibe Clone, Boss DD-7 w/ Tap Tempo Pedal

To

To Fender Champ XD

And

Marshall Vintage Modern:
FX Loop: (Coming Soon: An EHX Holy Grail)

To

Custom Made Celestion V30 Cab.

To

Me :D

That's it :)

Starchild132

Reaction score
1.Marty Friedman (can't believe no one brought him up)
2.Rany Rhoads
3.Alexi Laiho
4.Ace Frehley
5.Dimebag Darrel
6.Jeff Loomis
7.Dave Mustaine
8.Ted Nugent
9.James Hetfield
10.Kerry King

Attachments

• marty%20friedman.jpg
    marty%20friedman.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 3
  • alexi_laiho.jpg
    alexi_laiho.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 4

nofearfactor

Reaction score
i want to get one but do i need one
What reverb do you use now? Reverb on your amps? Cool thing about the HG is that it has spring and hall switching on it,theyre easy to setup and run,they sound good, and alot of people like em. I used one back when I ran 5150s because the 5150 has no reverb and I used my Boss RV5 mainly for its reverse verb. I say go it for it would be a nice addition to the collection of gear you have now. And at around $110 new theyre affordable. Might even find a good used one.

Marty Friedman (can't believe no one brought him up)
Maybe because he wasnt somebody elses favorite. Its not a list of the best guitarists,its a list of peoples favorites,and if you look at these lists alot of different favorites looks like. I like him. Living in Japan though he's just not on the American radar much any more. When he left Megadeth and was doing his solo stuff I kind of fell out of favor with him as most of those recordings got a little weird-especially the one with Kitaro. I still have my old Shrapnel cassettes of Cacophany though to enjoy.

I love Deep Purple
Me too,I was one of their biggest fans,when it was somewhat made up of the original band. I got old copies of 'Fireball' and 'Machinehead' from my older brother amongst all of his other records when he left home to go to college. Then 'Made in Japan' was epic. I almost could like them when Tommy Bolin joined, Blackmores hand picked successor. I loved 'Come Taste the Band' but Ive never liked David Coverdales vocals. I did like Glenn Hughes though because I liked Trapeze. I liked Blackmores Rainbow just am not a big RJ Dio fan,I liked Joe Lynn Turner the best. I liked it when Purple realigned and did 'Perfect Strangers'. I loved that record. But it didnt last. And then,even though Satriani and Steve Morse are 2 of the greatest guitarists ever,neither would be a very good replacement for Blackmore in DeepPurple,IMO. Tommy Bolin was though,but,sadly he died.

Lespaulnmarshall

Reaction score
What reverb do you use now? Reverb on your amps? Cool thing about the HG is that it has spring and hall switching on it,theyre easy to setup and run,they sound good, and alot of people like em. I used one back when I ran 5150s because the 5150 has no reverb and I used my Boss RV5 mainly for its reverse verb. I say go it for it would be a nice addition to the collection of gear you have now. And at around $110 new theyre affordable. Might even find a good used one.

Now i don't use any reverb because the only reverb i have is my amp reverb, and i don't like my amp reverb.

Starchild132

Reaction score
Maybe because he wasnt somebody elses favorite. Its not a list of the best guitarists,its a list of peoples favorites,and if you look at these lists alot of different favorites looks like. I like him. Living in Japan though he's just not on the American radar much any more. When he left Megadeth and was doing his solo stuff I kind of fell out of favor with him as most of those recordings got a little weird-especially the one with Kitaro. I still have my old Shrapnel cassettes of Cacophany though to enjoy.

i din't mean it like that its just hes so underrated, i gotta give you props on having the shrapnel cassette thats probably worth a alot nowadays

AdamR

Reaction score
In no particular order

Slash
James Hetfield
Scott Ian
Zakk Wyld
Kieth Nelson

Adwex

Reaction score
........<snip> And then,even though Satriani and Steve Morse are 2 of the greatest guitarists ever,neither would be a very good replacement for Blackmore in DeepPurple,IMO. ....

Even though I'm a huge Steve Morse fan, I agree 100%.

underliner6

Reaction score
-Kirk Hammett
-Zakk Wylde
-Slash
-Randy Rhoads
-Dave Mustaine
-Pete Townshend
-Joe Satriani

carnada

Reaction score
i din't mean it like that its just hes so underrated, i gotta give you props on having the shrapnel cassette thats probably worth a alot nowadays

the thing is....playing minor scales up and down like megadeth doesnt make you a good guitarist. In my opinion feeling is more important.

I hate people that see for example a drummer that can play incredibly fast, and then people say "OMG! THATS FUGGIN INSANNEE :O" playing fast is not hard, I could rather have a guitarist that can play nice melodic solos but necesarely fast.

Same with kirk hammet, he just goes nuts with the wah pedal and his blues scales. he just improvised all his solos in the studi, and then he realized that he had to learn them because he had to play them live.

SmokestackElRopo

Reaction score
Alvin Lee
Gary Moore
Leslie West
Jorma Kaukonen
Albert King
SRV
David Gilmore
Keef
Mick Taylor
Johnny Winter
In no particular order..........and I forgot Jeff Healey

Richman1

Reaction score
Michael Schenker UFO Obsession album
Billy Gibbons
Gary Moore
David Gilmour

I believe that Each one of these players have soul to there chops..
They each use very controlled vibrato and feel...
An up and coming guitarist can learn alot from these guys...

slowhand

Reaction score
I'll throw my favorites out there:

1) Hendrix (for his pioneering sound)
2) Clapton
3) Jimmy Page
4) Duane Allman
5) Mark Knopfler
6) Joe Perry
7) EVH
8) SRV
9) Santana
10) David Gilmour

And have to give a shout out to my biggest local musical influence, Audley Freed who I grew up with and taught me much of what I know on the guitar today.

Peace.

lord_guitarula

Reaction score
1. Brian May
2. Dave Murray
3. Angus Young
4. Joe Satriani
5. Neal Schon

in no particular order (except for brian may :dude:)

uraceulose

Reaction score
hmmm as far as guitarists:

Randy Rhoads
George Lynch
SRV
Zakk Wylde
Jimmy Page
Santana
Clapton
Hendrix
Van Zant Bros.

I would also have to agree with the previous
Jerry Cantrell and Kurt Cobain...

midgo

Reaction score
1. Richie Sambora-totally underrated, always seems to know what to play, recognisable sound, awesome voice (best in Bon Jovi, ha ha)
2. John Sykes- My god! HUGE TONE, best vibrato bar none, exciting player.
3. Hendrix- no need to comment.
4. Slash- note choice, feel, last solo in November rain-epic!!
5. SRV- wraps up all the best of the blues, with some magic dust!

honorable mention-

Tom Keifer- big feel, versatile and very underrated.
John Norum- melodic, fiery!!
Ronnie Le Tekro- Just look this guy up (TNT) really freakin good.
Phil Collen- Pretty well known, but not revered like he should be. Big band but little exposure and recognition from a guitarist point of view.

Im missing out heaps but i spose that defeats the purpose of a "best of" thread.

Latest posts