Test #2: JCM 900 DR vs 1959SLP (Recording clips)

• Thread starter maxime1122
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Which amp do you prefer?

• Marshall JCM 900 DR

Votes: 28 50.9%
  • Marshall 1959SLP

Votes: 27 49.1%

• Total voters

kebek

Reaction score
I have to admit that the 2 master volume is a very good feature... Maybe like you specified i purchased a low tone amp...

bulldozer1984

Everybody's Favorite Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
There are only a few voters there, but a lot of viewers.
Are you hesitating between the two choices?

YES !! I can barely tell the difference man.. Both sound great and the playing was great. Thank's for taking the time to post this dude..

dedecaster

Reaction score
The DR sound great.Very good match with the guitar.
Closer to the Hendrix vibes.

-btw Good job.

Ken

Reaction score
The DSLs red channel..(which is the B channel to a DR) is FAR better with the DSL then it is with the DR...but their clean channels are very close in sound quality...with a slight edge going to the DSL for warmth..but not quite as tight..

I can't compare the B channel on the DR to the DSL; the DR uses the clipping diodes for the overdrive where the DSL uses tubes and it's apples and oranges for depth of tone and fun for the guitarist. I also agree the DR cleans are quite nice, perhaps because that's an all tube path?

Ken

SmokeyDopey

VIP Member
Reaction score
I can't compare the B channel on the DR to the DSL; the DR uses the clipping diodes for the overdrive where the DSL uses tubes and it's apples and oranges for depth of tone and fun for the guitarist. I also agree the DR cleans are quite nice, perhaps because that's an all tube path?

Ken

I cannot remember what thread or who said, but I read that channel A (clean) also has clipping diodes. If the gain knob is low enough it won't clip or distort, but with enough gain it'll start to breakup, but there are clipping diodes involved.

Lowlife

Reaction score
I am probably biased, being a DR man myself, but i think it sounds better here. You have great tone, and must have been standing in another room if you dimed the amp to the max.

kebek

Reaction score
I cannot remember what thread or who said, but I read that channel A (clean) also has clipping diodes. If the gain knob is low enough it won't clip or distort, but with enough gain it'll start to breakup, but there are clipping diodes involved.
NO diode on clean channel...

LKrevival

Reaction score
Both sounded good. I would be tone happy with the 900. However the plexi won my ears by a slight margin, when you cut into the solo it had that super lead sound that just is what it is, I don't know what makes it...it, but I heard that unique plexi tone scream through.

RobS

Reaction score
NO diode on clean channel...

It was me that said they clip on both channels.

take the chassis out and flip it upside down, plug in and play. You will see that the diodes clip on channel A. It is influenced alot by the strength of the guitar signal going in. Lighter picking = less clipping, heavier picking more clipping. ChB is more like having a SD1 set to clean boost in front of the thing.

I've said it many times but these amps need to be cranked into power tube saturation to really appreciate them. Plug into a cab with Greenbacks and let it rip..

The problem is too many people get and play Marshall 100 watt valve amps in thier bedrooms at low volumes where Tube amps are like a caged animal wanting to be set free.

I liked both audio clips by the way.each has it's own character and they are both good.

rob

maxime1122

Reaction score
I think that both clips had way too much distortion. I couldn't get past the intro riff :(

+1

Yeah, I know... But, it was on purpose of showing the difference in tone and the quantity of gain available

For this type of songs, its better to have less overdrive than that.

BTW (plexi users), what are your volume's settings (bright and normal) + channel jumping or not?

:h5:

Adrian R

Reaction score
It was close, very, but in the end I believe the 59' was better suited for that style of tone. The mids seemed better defined with an all around more naked, pure, raw texture..perfect for that Hendrix type stuff..

Not my cup of tea though...never was much of a Hendrix fan...although I do recognize his pioneering genius.