• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

That escalated quickly: Tonex ONE

• Thread starter V-man
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

V-man

Reaction score
Maybe as overlapping yet divergent as say a PS-100 and a TAE, but on the heels of the “rarely in stock” Boss IR-2, Tonex releases a “true” mini pedal for $179.

IMG_0252.jpeg

NumbSkull

Reaction score
When are they going to start attaching these little things to guitars.
They already do. With wireless and battery.

NumbSkull

Reaction score
The Tonex one seems poor value compared to the Tonex.

The Tonex has a screen, more knobs and IO options.

I guess you are paying for the small footprint but who wants to pay for less ?

cccc

Reaction score
You're paying less for less , I do think the regular Tonex is the better buy though since even the full featured model isn't nearly as expensive as it's competition.

SonVolt

VIP Member
Reaction score
Eventually all this tech will be built into the cloud and guitarists will log into their account on the PA system to access their tone profile. Dumb foot controllers will be provided by the venue.

NumbSkull

Reaction score
Just watched this, surprised how much they like it.

I have the Tonex, this does nothing more and looks a lot harder to use as it has no screen so you dont know which setting is active.
And there is no wireless, another cable to trip over and restricts your movement. Even 5 years old cheap stuff like the Plethora has wireless. See also Mooer S1, has wireless, costs less.
OK its amazing you can replace 10 amps with something so small but we know that already.

Frodebro

Reaction score

V-man

Reaction score
Sounds like a lot of crapping on it (which ppl are certainly more entitled to do in a saturated market) and I have little desire to defend a product I have never used (either version) but I think the point was either missed or disagreed with intensely.

The original product is $400-ish, IIRC. Boss IR-2 undercuts that in size, portability, price, and simplicity (I assume -never used it either). The drawbacks to the IR-2 should be substantially identical to those above, +/- particularly the no-screen issue. I fail to see the utility in charging more $ for a bigger Tonex at this time given the competition above the original’s weight.

Charging less to compete with the Boss (which is competing with original Tonex and far cheaper) seems like the strategy they took, which makes sense for a PB and pocket-friendly travel rig under $200 to leave a larger more friendly (still cheap) unit for people demanding more.

NumbSkull

Reaction score
Eventually all this tech will be built into the cloud and guitarists will log into their account on the PA system to access their tone profile. Dumb foot controllers will be provided by the venue.
Guitarists will be built into the cloud.
And all the dead ones will be Resurrected, in their prime and able to jam 24 hours a day.
All the venues will be closed as they spread viruses.

Ronquest

Reaction score
Guitarists will be built into the cloud.
And all the dead ones will be Resurrected, in their prime and able to jam 24 hours a day.
All the venues will be closed as they spread viruses.
Because of flying birds, the cloud has been shut down due to the bird flu.

Ronquest

Reaction score
I think the negative feelings are due to the never ending new products that we just can't keep up with. Do we want advances in gear?, I think so, but at the same time we get overwhelmed with reviews and new releases, from software to pedals to amps to guitars, etc... I just bought "this" and now they come out with "that".......again and again.. I'm no stranger to the new gear FOMO, but I'm getting more tired of it for sure. I won't even watch the reviews for the ToneX one, I have the Tonex from release date and it's collecting dust. Doesn't mean it's not good, I just don't have time or need for it and I still like my real amps better 95% of the time, but I don't play out either.

Kind of tired of the "all at once reviews by every inFLUencer". Paul from Studio Rats sounds like Paul on every video, regardless of gear.

SonVolt

VIP Member
Reaction score

... and you won't own your tone profile, you'll pay for it on whichever cloud service you subscribe to. Exporting it to another platform will be an upcharge (and possibly loss of fidelity). But you'll be able to play it through your home stereo, your Alexa ecosystem and your Apple AirPods (as long as you have the app, additional $5.99/mo).

Last edited:

thesunship

Reaction score
I think the negative feelings are due to the never ending new products that we just can't keep up with. Do we want advances in gear?, I think so, but at the same time we get overwhelmed with reviews and new releases, from software to pedals to amps to guitars, etc... I just bought "this" and now they come out with "that".......again and again.. I'm no stranger to the new gear FOMO, but I'm getting more tired of it for sure. I won't even watch the reviews for the ToneX one, I have the Tonex from release date and it's collecting dust. Doesn't mean it's not good, I just don't have time or need for it and I still like my real amps better 95% of the time, but I don't play out either.

Kind of tired of the "all at once reviews by every inFLUencer". Paul from Studio Rats sounds like Paul on every video, regardless of gear.

I think the pursuit of gear is peaking. Amp and guitar sales are slower and next for sure will be all these devices. People are learning there's no Nirvana in the next pedal and no matter how you dress up the sound, you still sound like you.

For many, the "unlimited" possibilities of these devices is a negative. Things like the UA series is a much needed reaction to that, but there's no Nirvana there either. However, at least with the UA pedals it's limited to what's on the surface, and you didn't have to touch a computer or dive through endless menus.

nortiks

Reaction score
Its nice for the player that this tech is now becoming commoditized and priced accordingly. LOL, and surely a Behringer equivalent for $69 in three, two, one....

To me these things are like iPhone cameras. They can take a great picture, but they simply cannot, nor should not be expected to, replace a full frame camera with a bunch of high end lenses and take the shots that someone who knows what they're doing can get with a high end setup... But, yeah, a lot of times an iPhone camera is fine, and imo so are these things. Nice to have options.