The DSL100 Rocks!

• Thread starter Adwex
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Adwex

Reaction score
The other band I'm in rehearses at an hourly studio, and I've been using an "Orange Crunch" DSL100 for the last month or two. It usually sounds pretty good after tweaking the settings, but tonight it was downright monstrous. Les Paul R7 straight in, no effects, gain cranked, master around 5 or 6 I think, "deep" button engaged. It's alot different than the Jubilee...it's got more "hair" on it. Not like the 800s I've heard, but still thunderous. The drummer is loud as hell, but I had trouble hearing the bass player. LOL

jaek

Reaction score
What EQ settings? Yeah, these amps are HUGE sounding when set right!

Adwex

Reaction score
What EQ settings? Yeah, these amps are HUGE sounding when set right!

Bass was pretty high, maybe 7 or 8, mids around 6 or7, treble around 5ish, presence around 4ish. I want crushing thunder, not icepick.

jcmjmp

Reaction score
Yeah, its slightly different vs a Jubilee but I find that the midrange response is similar.

lucidspoon

Reaction score
Les Paul R7 straight in, no effects, gain cranked, master around 5 or 6 I think, "deep" button engaged.

Bass was pretty high, maybe 7 or 8, mids around 6 or7, treble around 5ish, presence around 4ish. I want crushing thunder, not icepick.

I usually have mine set to about the same settings, but with the bass and mids switched and presence at 6. I played a song the other day ("Hey Man, Nice Shot" by Filter), that I hadn't played since I put in my JJ tubes, and it surprised me how good I can sound. :lol:

I think the tubes are still biased too high though... I initially set them at about 89 a few weeks ago, and then after having it on for 2 hours or so, it started buzzing. I checked, and they were at like 96. I turned them down to about 79, but just the other day, it started buzzing again after 2 hours or so. This is my first tube amp and my first set of new tubes, so I'm still learning. :fingersx:

tresmarshallz

Reaction score
The DSL100 is a great building block on the journey to tone. So much can be done with them. I didn't like mine much until I owned it a few years and figured out the best settings and effects to use with it, now I don't think I could ever part with it.
Got the merc OT and choke too, which seemed to help, but they certainly don't need that to roar.

D.Dailey

Reaction score
The Beer Tent Capital of the World (Muskegon , Mic
Adwex:
Your EQ settings are usually determined by the size of the room (or lack there of ) and the guitar and PU's..
Big difference between a dead reflecting room, like a friends home thats built with 28+ inch logs, or a large room with plaster walls little fruniture..
A few weeks ago I played with friends in a 35x50 basement that was stuffed with old couches and stuff..
My LP with Duncan Antiquitys..
Some of the best sounds I have herd with mine.. ;)
DSL100003Standarde-mailview.jpg

I have learned to roll the volume and tone pots back on my guitar a bit as I like playing with people, not over them.. ;)
Yesterday I played in the small liveing room here, checking out a new delay with my Strat with active EMG's,, I had to roll the gain and volume on the amp back alot,, but it was equally satisfying.. ;)
Where I live in Michigan, one of the rite's of spring, when the snow leaves and the ground dries up a bit, is hauling the stuff outside and letting them rip..
I have NEVER been sorry for picking up my JCM 2000 DSL 100 in the least bit! ;)
Enjoy you new amp...
And Good Luck..
I run a 4x12 Marshall angled cab with real Vintage 30's..
Or an old Ampeg 2x12 cab with the same..
With the 2x12 my DSL can closely mimic a Fender Twin..
It was in a large part why I wanted one.. ;)
The dirt and gain mine has,, is Pretty Pure Marshall..:naughty:
DD

P.S.. I bought my DSL 100 in 1998 when my Fender Blues De Ville 4x10 was in the shop for warrenty work.
Bad Solder Joints.
It took two trips, but.
Its been pretty reliable sence..
But remembering playing the De Ville down to the neibors, with a large Privicy Fence 8 foot, 150 foot deep..
They set us up on there deck with the fence 150 foot downrange..
The natural slapback echo I was getting ,between the house and fence, useing a bit of compression and delay was driveing people wild..
I was haveing a ball with it.. ;)

Last edited:

ronaroo3

Reaction score
When You guys are referring to what you have your settings at- what type of music are you playing? I just got mine the other day- and some ballpark settings would be teriffic.

That video of the guy from Marshall on youtube just ticks me off. I think its probably the fact that I dont know how to set the thing yet- but he makes it look so easy!

And yeah- I cant wait till we thaw out in Mi!

Anyway I play classic rock and blues- but all settings are appreciated. Always looking to play different music!

Thanks
(Hope I dont sound like a COMPLETE idiot- but you people sure seem to know way more about these amps than I do!)

rjohns1

Reaction score
I love my DSL100 as well. I've modded mine a little but, just to voice it more the way I want. You can hear clips in the DSL100 mods thread. I think it is the best modern marshall amp ever.

rjohns1

Reaction score
Just to clarify, I said MODERN Marshall. Don't anybody flame me, I don't want to hear about how much a plexi or jmp, or 800 kicks it's ass!

DSL troubles

Reaction score
I got to play on my band mates jmp 100 last night due to my dsl being in the shop... You can have your dsl... And mine! That jmp is amazing! Played my strat on it, roll the v down on your guitar a bit.. And it sounds like Hendrix. Turn it back up, and buttery solos. Hit the tube screamer with a Hb Duncan pup, and it sounds heavenly. I hope my dsl is still in the shop next week!!!! My dsl bs that jmp- we set the volume levels, so that our rythem level is equal. He plays a solo and you hear every note while My dsl dissapears when I solo. I've set the eq in every way. I don't use the tone scoop, and the sound is too chunky and interfears with the bass player when the deep button is pushed. The dsl sounds great in my livingroom... But it really struggles to cut through the mix at band practice.

jcmjmp

Reaction score
I got to play on my band mates jmp 100 last night due to my dsl being in the shop... You can have your dsl... And mine! That jmp is amazing! Played my strat on it, roll the v down on your guitar a bit.. And it sounds like Hendrix. Turn it back up, and buttery solos. Hit the tube screamer with a Hb Duncan pup, and it sounds heavenly. I hope my dsl is still in the shop next week!!!! My dsl bs that jmp- we set the volume levels, so that our rythem level is equal. He plays a solo and you hear every note while My dsl dissapears when I solo. I've set the eq in every way. I don't use the tone scoop, and the sound is too chunky and interfears with the bass player when the deep button is pushed. The dsl sounds great in my livingroom... But it really struggles to cut through the mix at band practice.

Yeah, but you stated that your DSL was broken and you never really got it fixed so its an unfair comparison, not counting the fact that the JMP is probably a non master volume amp that has more mids and bark than a stock DSL.

AdamR

Reaction score
Judging by your constant bashing of it, it sounds like the DSL is not the right amp for you.

DSL troubles

Reaction score
To Adam .. Do you think! Hahaha

jcmjmp, I've been playing with these guys for a while. My dsl was in perfect condition when we started. Good call on the non-master volume. I really can't compete with him. I turned my mids up, but that made my tone too naisal. I tried throwing an eq in the effects loop, still didn't work. That jmp is just in your face. The only chance I have is to crank the red channel up super loud, and play rythem on the green. I didn't know that this was due to the master volume... Is there anything my amp guy can do to give my dsl more head-room? I am going to start saving my pennies for a jmp!

Adwex

Reaction score
The Jubilee/DSL Stack !

I brought my Jubilee to the studio to compare it with the DSL.

hvctpt.jpg

Definitely a big difference. The Jubilee has a whole different character, especially in the lows and mids. It kills the DSL for leads, with a much more....sophisticated, smoother tone. For rhythm, the DSL is more classic Marshall tone...aggressive and balanced, where the Jub has more pronounced low mids. I wish I could record the two, it's tough to explain with words.

jcmjmp

Reaction score
Re: The Jubilee/DSL Stack !

Definitely a big difference. The Jubilee has a whole different character, especially in the lows and mids. It kills the DSL for leads, with a much more....sophisticated, smoother tone. For rhythm, the DSL is more classic Marshall tone...aggressive and balanced, where the Jub has more pronounced low mids. I wish I could record the two, it's tough to explain with words.
Your description depicts the differences very well IMO aside from the smoother Jubilee. I find the DSL smoother. The Jubilee has a bit more hair and egde on the lead channel.