The Final Word On Tipping

• Thread starter Vinsanitizer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, how is this different than raising prices and paying employees more?
That's now reportable income whereas cash tips are a gray area.
This should be looked at as employers trying to skirt employer portion of payroll taxes (FICA/UC) on W-2 wages.

NumbSkull

Reaction score
Does anyone like tips ?
Someone found out that if you get people drunk and in a good mood they can easily be induced to pay more money.
Also they are often abused, or put into a pot and dished out unfairly.

Lo-Tek

Reaction score
I think maybe it's worse in other parts of the country. It's not so bad here. I don't mind tipping at restaurants. Never go to coffee shops but I tip a buck or two at the dispensary.

I did not make it through the video- just sounds like too much whining to me.
Why am I supposed to care what some rando on youtube says? I only watched as much as I did because she was kind of cute.

Derek S

Reaction score
My final word on tipping probably has nothing to do with the clip (didn't bother, just assuming it's more nonsense created for clicks rather than actually bringing attention to a legit issue).

But this new trend of tipping before service is where I've drawn my line. Many local food spots now ask for you to enter your tip amount at the register while paying in advance for your food. Yeah, right, I refuse. Sorry but I'm old fashioned, if it's ok, I'm gonna wait and see how the service and food actually is before tipping. It's not just food too. A little unrelated but I recently purchased a new couch and was texted several times to "please don't forget to review your purchasing experience with us"...several days passed and I was emailed the same thing. At least four reminders in total to review them over the coming week. Ummm, can I actually see WHEN and HOW my new couch shows up before reviewing your store and my experience? Just venting I guess lol

shredless

Reaction score
How bout the whole "please take our survey, were looking for all 10s"
F🐳ck you....earn it and quit begging or telling me what to do.
I used to work at big auto chain selling service and our boss was told by his boss to make us all beg our best clients for 10s on the survey...even telling our closest ones that 9 or less was unnaceptable. We would promise favors to get 10s... Not blow downs...but felt like it sometimes.

Lo-Tek

Reaction score
There is to be no tipping on the forum without prior approval from a moderator.
a2CEZ-.gif

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I didn't realize this was a thing, I always ignored the whole tipping thing on any bill unless it was for something that I really appreciated like full service at a restaurant that was good in which case I will give a 20% tip. I don't tip for $h!tty service or an $8 beer at a bar.

V-man

Reaction score
Well, call me a pioneer then.

90% of the time no tip for counter service.
Never EVER donate to solicited charity (their tax writeoff)
20% to waiter (tax amt not tipped) for proper service

I also avoid the culture I don’t want to buy into.
- post-COVID sit-down patronage: 4x/yr now
- Pizza takeout, never delivery
- Doordash/ŰberEats etc. is for idiots

anitoli

Reaction score
Tipping culture exposes a flaw in human nature, to get people to pay a tip they should not have to is the same psychology as getting people to die in useless wars, you just tell them to do it and a large percentage do. This flaw has been exploited forever.

neikeel

Reaction score
I think the French actually have it right - Servis compris and TVA.
They have correct pricing, pay their staff appropriately who often look offended if you try to tip (some shrapnel in the ashtray after coffees is normal!
Here in UK it is mid ground and I tip 10% plus the round up in a restaurant, barbers etc, always cash in hand of waiter/ress, never on card.
Never tip in store or for take away (my local Indian take away restaurant usually gives me a beer whilst waiting as we have been with them so long!).

Edgar Frog

Reaction score
I think maybe it's worse in other parts of the country. It's not so bad here. I don't mind tipping at restaurants. Never go to coffee shops but I tip a buck or two at the dispensary.

I did not make it through the video- just sounds like too much whining to me.
Why am I supposed to care what some rando on youtube says? I only watched as much as I did because she was kind of cute.
I never understood the tips at a dispensary. Those bud tenders make a fortune as it is. They don't need tips IMHO.

Lo-Tek

Reaction score
In a small towny area like this one starts to know the staff and even become friendly with them. Tipping feels natural.
I was a cook in my youth and have seen first hand how wait staff can rely on tips too. Here in Michigan the base wage is really low.

I think the French actually have it right - Servis compris and TVA.
They have correct pricing, pay their staff appropriately who often look offended if you try to tip (some shrapnel in the ashtray after coffees is normal!
Here in UK it is mid ground and I tip 10% plus the round up in a restaurant, barbers etc, always cash in hand of waiter/ress, never on card.
Never tip in store or for take away (my local Indian take away restaurant usually gives me a beer whilst waiting as we have been with them so long!).
Tips are basically essential here for wait staff. Surviving on $10/hour won't cut it.

I never understood the tips at a dispensary. Those bud tenders make a fortune as it is. They don't need tips IMHO.
I don't think they make much here. But yeah, I don't really get it either. All they did was grab a couple packs of edibles???
I always buy on sale so leaving a buck and change doesn't sting that much. Hell, still a novelty to me just to buy legal! lol