• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

The Great Pick Debate

• Thread starter Oldpunk
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Macro

Reaction score
The land of cheesesteaks and soft pretzels
The thing I dig about the 1mm tortex Sharp's is that they are pretty much indestructible. Curiously little wear after the most brutal metal thrash session. I also don't lose picks...I have an old Pac-Man coffee cup with maybe 70-80 picks in it. That should last me the rest of my life at this point.

Macro

Reaction score
The land of cheesesteaks and soft pretzels
FWIW, I recall listening to Paul Gilbert talking about pick selection and his tone
He actually went from a thicker pick to a medium, where I did the opposite in search of more definition.
I find that rounded edges smooth out the note, and thinner picks tend to give the note more body, for lack of a better word to describe it. That said, I'm liking rigid picks and stand-out notes. For faster playing a more rigid pick (for me ) is required hardware.

3 decades of experimentation has taken me from ultra thin to Brian May rigidity :)

Bigmuff

Reaction score
I'm sad I missed all the drama. Over picks....

I've become very fond of the James Hetfield signature picks. They're marked up due to the name associated with them, but objectively I think they're really nice picks. The point stays pointy and the graphic doesn't fade off readily.

images

Last edited:

tresmarshallz

Reaction score
Cool thread, I would be open to trying a winge or blue chip or whatever just to see if it helped. It makes sense that if a company really put R&D into it they could make one that was a game changer.

Frodebro

Reaction score
Red Jazz IIIs. Anything else feels like a dinner plate.

I had the same feeling when I switched from the Ultex Jazz IIIs to the XLs, but I was able to adapt within a fairly short time.

JimiRules

Reaction score
I used to use pretty thin picks, but they would break or wear down pretty easy. I got these as a stocking stuffer for Christmas a few years ago and I've been using them ever since. They definitely helped my picking.

shopping

BowerR64

Reaction score
I normally use a heavy, i do like the jazz 3 red ones.

The D'Addario guy who sent us the free NYXL strings in that strings thread a while back came with a nice pick its alot like the jazz 3 but slightly larger and blue its my go to pick as of latley.

I like the point shape on the jazz 3

When i got this VM2466 i started really whacking the strings and i actually moved from a .009 to a .010 because that amp is so dynamic its fun to get really percussive with strumming so ive been doing alot of long stroke strumming. I was at a friends and all he had was some kind of medium light or a light pick i would never chose but it was actually really good doing long stroke strumming its really forgiving and you dont have to hold the pick so loose like you do when playing like this with a heavy pick.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Picks.JPG
    Picks.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 141

poeman33

Reaction score
Dunlop .46 for an eternity. The thin pick is very flexible. I bend it to get different sounds. I can still get a hard sound if I want, or super super soft and subtle. Affordable, last a long time, and after years of using them, a pretty integral part of my sound.

scat7s

VIP Member
Reaction score
I use these exclusively...

TortexSharp-11.png

I'm curious to hear more of these high-dollar boutique picks :hmm:
I've had metal picks, and I've seen ones made of stone. The Tortex 'sharp' picks are my favorite by far.....notes are much clearer than with a standard pick shape. I also like them heavy....1mm....nothing less than .73mm

I was using the orange standard shape for 15-20 years when I discovered the sharp pointy kind....and haven't (and won't) look back. :hbang:

i used these for a while in transition...the tip wears down so fast...then its rounded over just like a "normal" pick. thats when i gave the red jazz's a crack... they seem to last a little longer.

Latest posts