• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

The Great Pick Debate

• Thread starter Oldpunk
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Oldpunk

Reaction score
Looks like Dunlop owns the market share pretty much, interesting. Makes sense, I used to play them exclusively as well.

HAmmer

Reaction score
I use V-picks i like the thickness of these i seem to hold on to them better
Stiletto
Chicken Picker
Red Rocker
Euro

RiverRatt

VIP Member
Reaction score
When I was in retail sales I would bring dozens of picks home from the NAMM show every year. I had some acrylic picks that were insanely thick. I never learned to like them. I like an amount of friction between the pick and strings and there was none. I always went back to Tortex. I've used them pretty much exclusively since they came out.

Bear R.

Reaction score
Dunlop Jazz III Carbon Fiber...

$40 pick..wow..if I lost that id be hot..but, it's unbelievable how much a pick makes the difference in sound..they really do.. the Carbon Fiber picks are a little less bright, but clear as can be..

and im with you "Captain"..the price is ridiculous though..

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dunlop Jazz III Carbon Fiber...

$40 pick..wow..if I lost that id be hot..but, it's unbelievable how much a pick makes the difference in sound..they really do.. the Carbon Fiber picks are a little less bright, but clear as can be..

and im with you "Captain"..the price is ridiculous though..

Yeah Bear. Audibly different. The 3 I use sound different never mind the feel in hand or against string.

So a player can take some highs off or add warmth or smoothness to his/her tone by switching picks...no turning eq pots for a quick change in flavor. It's noticeable enuff to my ears.

Anyways I have to look at that cabon fiber version.

Last edited:

Vinsanitizer

AKA "Vinnie the Tits".
VIP Member
Reaction score
Currently living in a van down by the river.
vinsanitizer-albums-pics-picture11885-tortex1-14.jpg

Oldpunk

Reaction score
So a player can take some highs off or add warmth or smoothness to his/her tone by switching picks...no turning eq pots for a quick change in flavor. It's noticeable enuff to my ears.

Picks are a big part of your tone. They are like another V1 slot in a sense... A definite noticeable effect on both playability and sound.

As far as losing a 40 dollar pick, believe you me, you wont. But not because of the money, because of how it plays. You will know where your ferrari is parked at all times. YMMV.

Oh and thats nothing compared to some violin bows....A RARE Superb French Violin Bow by Jacob Eury CA 1830 | eBay....:scream:

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

EndGame00

Reaction score
I switched pick... from Ultex Sharp 1.40 (bright and aggressive), Ibanez Paul Gilbert 1.00 (small teardrop. pointed tip, wears out faster) to Dunlop Premium Celluloid 1.00 (round tip, warmer attack)

The celluloid's rounder tip feels and plays a little wierd to me, there's more surface area than I am used to... Definitely much warmer than Ultex (bright, aggressive attack), but there's a lot less effort to pick notes vs. ultex sharp... I tend to dig on the strings more with the sharpie than rounder tip... I'm a heavy picker so I tend to burn more picks than anyone... This picks may work best with acoustic than electric, IMO.

Not a big fan of nylon picks. They're too dull and dark for my preference.

25 years of playing, and I still couldn't find the right pick for me.

rads

Reaction score
been using red and black Jazz III,
now also using tortex, ultex and ultex 2.0 from jazz III variant...

tortex jazz III for practice...
and other Jazz III for studio/live depends on the mood

dreyn77

Reaction score
if you're really that into it, just buy the pick maker and cutout you're own from anything you can find. $20.

you could srink down some chips packets and use them as the plectrum.

melt some quartz sand into a plectrum shape.

for that price I'd just cut some silver and use that.

LedZeppelinFan

Reaction score
I used to use Standard Tortex .73, then I got into Herco .73, then Red Jazz III, then Herco again. I have recently developed a love for V-Picks Large ULP. I found that they give my notes more definition, and stick to my fingers nicely. I would say that I sound loads better with them. Well worth the ~$4.

Flyingv4me

Reaction score
Dunlop Ultex .90 Sharps. Tried Tortex...they are too slippery.

The Ultex are the best I have used in 40 years....nothing comes close

Bear R.

Reaction score
been using red and black Jazz III,
now also using tortex, ultex and ultex 2.0 from jazz III variant...

tortex jazz III for practice...
and other Jazz III for studio/live depends on the mood

I love the Ultex 2.0.. A nice bright sound that comes from these guys..I use them and my Carbon Fibers..lots of both in my room and 1 of each in my little pocket at all times..:yesway: