The jvm thread !!!

• Thread starter bulldozer1984
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TFC

Reaction score
Cheers for the replies guys. It's not something that will both me a lot at all, just something I didn't know if it was possible or not.

I'll get into the MIDI stuff in the long run, but I'm fine the way it is at the moment with the stock footswitch :fingersx:

JimiRules

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to the forum, and I have a bit of a dilemma. I'm a recent Marshall convert. My previous amps have been a Sunn Solarus, Carvin MTS 3200 and an Orange Rockerverb 100 MKII... in that order.

So, after trying the Rockerverb... I decided the tone was too rubbery and grainy for my tastes... so I tried a nearby Marshall. T'was a JVM 410, and fell in love with it's creamy distortion/overdrive channels. The problem came later when I cranked it up in front of the band. I play in a tone conscious punk band (not that whatever's cheap and crank it crap).... and I also dwell into some modern nu-metal horror inspired stuff. So I like the versatility of the amp. The problem was that I lost the tones that I loved at the shop. I know, typical acoustics, probably... but I'm a simpleton at heart... so the channels are a bit intimidating to me. I understand what they are, and what they do... and even how each knob and volume react with each other... but I'm wondering... (and I know this particular thread might be a bit biased)... but should I exchange it for a JCM 800? It's louder, been on more stages than any other amp in history, and still has that classic Marshall tone, right? I can use pedals to maintain the versatility of the JVM... plus I've read on certain reviews that the channels tend to give out fairly easily... which is something I can't chance. We will be touring relentlessly this fall and I need to minimize any problems right from the gate.

Thoughts? :)

What tones were you getting at the shop that you aren't getting now?

Capel

Reaction score
Is there a way a midi footswitch can toggle the master volumes?? Reading the handbook it seems all the midi does is store channel presets on the amp (the MV1-MV2 toggle is the function I use the most)

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
Haven't tried it, but the JVM footswitch can be set to recall all settings (including MV) with one switch, so I don't see any reason the same could not be accomplished via MIDI. It's just another "preset" configuration, so you'd have two identical presets, one with MV2 on, one with it off.

Last edited:

Capel

Reaction score
Haven't tried it, but the JVM footswitch can be set to recall all settings (including MV) with one switch, so I don't see any reason the same could not be accomplished via MIDI. It's just another "preset" configuration, so you'd have two identical presets, one with MV2 on, one with it off.

That's what I was trying to avoid - I would've thought there'd be a CC# that would toggle it.

BeardedRetroGuy

Reaction score
Nah, what you do is set one of the switches to recall a complete setting, but have one of the end switches still switch between Master Volumes, that way you can switch MVs on any setting or preset.

JimiRules

Reaction score
Does anyone who gigs their JVM use the line out method over micing the amp? Does it work better than using a mic?

big dooley

VIP Member
Reaction score
Does anyone who gigs their JVM use the line out method over micing the amp? Does it work better than using a mic?

i've been across a few mixing guys and they LOVE that feature... these days i use a palmer PDI09 though

andyg_prs

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to the forum, and I have a bit of a dilemma. I'm a recent Marshall convert. My previous amps have been a Sunn Solarus, Carvin MTS 3200 and an Orange Rockerverb 100 MKII... in that order.

So, after trying the Rockerverb... I decided the tone was too rubbery and grainy for my tastes... so I tried a nearby Marshall. T'was a JVM 410, and fell in love with it's creamy distortion/overdrive channels. The problem came later when I cranked it up in front of the band. I play in a tone conscious punk band (not that whatever's cheap and crank it crap).... and I also dwell into some modern nu-metal horror inspired stuff. So I like the versatility of the amp. The problem was that I lost the tones that I loved at the shop. I know, typical acoustics, probably... but I'm a simpleton at heart... so the channels are a bit intimidating to me. I understand what they are, and what they do... and even how each knob and volume react with each other... but I'm wondering... (and I know this particular thread might be a bit biased)... but should I exchange it for a JCM 800? It's louder, been on more stages than any other amp in history, and still has that classic Marshall tone, right? I can use pedals to maintain the versatility of the JVM... plus I've read on certain reviews that the channels tend to give out fairly easily... which is something I can't chance. We will be touring relentlessly this fall and I need to minimize any problems right from the gate.

Thoughts? :)

That's kind of ironic for me....I currently use a TSL but find it too boxy/mid sounding and I can't dial that out....plus can't get a full on distortion that I really like, just clean / crunch. I went to try an EVH III 50 watt the other day but they only had the 100 watt version. They said to try the Rockerverb II 100 watt and I thought I'd hate it as I've always hated Orange amps. But the clean was just great and the drive (set around 2 - 3 o clock) was the best riffing solo sound I have ever used..... Now today I tried the 50 and 100 watt Rockerverbs and then the JVM410JS. The JVM is great. It's far more flexible and modern than the 2 channel Rockerverb. But with the time I had I couldn't dial in a sound I liked quite as much as the JVM. Also, with my TSL I find the sound can be a bit hit and miss but I struggle to get a bad sound out of the Orange....but it's just one type of sound....and a little vintage. Now my dilemma is whether to go for the Orange and have 2 beautiful sounds.....but be limited in the tonal palette available to me.....or go for the JVM and have (almost) the ultimate single amp in terms of flexibility (I mean, 4 channels, 3 modes each, 2 master volumes - wow) but always wonder about that tone that makes me just play better on the Orange.

If only I could afford both! Or could rehearse with a couple of my bands with these before choosing....

Life is hard ;)

Help me guys!

Cheers,
Andy

PS - my new amp search over the last 2 years has covered Marshall, Engl, Diezel, Bogner, Laney, Peavey, Fender, Blackstar, Mesa, Carvin, Egnater....to name just a few and probably 5 models at least of most of those amps!

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
That's kind of ironic for me....I currently use a TSL but find it too boxy/mid sounding and I can't dial that out....plus can't get a full on distortion that I really like, just clean / crunch. I went to try an EVH III 50 watt the other day but they only had the 100 watt version. They said to try the Rockerverb II 100 watt and I thought I'd hate it as I've always hated Orange amps. But the clean was just great and the drive (set around 2 - 3 o clock) was the best riffing solo sound I have ever used..... Now today I tried the 50 and 100 watt Rockerverbs and then the JVM410JS. The JVM is great. It's far more flexible and modern than the 2 channel Rockerverb. But with the time I had I couldn't dial in a sound I liked quite as much as the JVM. Also, with my TSL I find the sound can be a bit hit and miss but I struggle to get a bad sound out of the Orange....but it's just one type of sound....and a little vintage. Now my dilemma is whether to go for the Orange and have 2 beautiful sounds.....but be limited in the tonal palette available to me.....or go for the JVM and have (almost) the ultimate single amp in terms of flexibility (I mean, 4 channels, 3 modes each, 2 master volumes - wow) but always wonder about that tone that makes me just play better on the Orange.

If only I could afford both! Or could rehearse with a couple of my bands with these before choosing....

Life is hard ;)

Help me guys!

Cheers,
Andy

PS - my new amp search over the last 2 years has covered Marshall, Engl, Diezel, Bogner, Laney, Peavey, Fender, Blackstar, Mesa, Carvin, Egnater....to name just a few and probably 5 models at least of most of those amps!

IMO, after you spend some time with the JVM and get to know the amp, you'll most likely find a tone you like just as much(if not more) than the tone you were getting on the Orange. Worst case, you might need an outboard pedal to get that particular tone. Still, you'd have a much more versatile amp.

Nochboa

Reaction score
sorry, to dig this up, but I´m a soon-to-become JVM410H/JVMC212 owner and very interested and thankful for any feedback or advice - 10 more days till delivery or so!

I ploughed through jvmforum.com for info, cause I knew almost nothing bout that amp
don´t know if you did that too, andyg_prs and thestevegiant

many people in jvm-forum say, there is a "getting to know your amp"-phase for the 410H (as I understood it), which can take months (depends how much you play it per day) to kind of "settle" and develop a better tone.

I´ll just make the best out of it, keep experimenting and playing a lot and maybe even find a new unique, better sound than in the soundbooth of a musicstore.
I´m prepared for anything, I hope... *starts a prayer to the gods of sound*

Nochboa

Reaction score
sorry, to dig this up, but I´m a soon-to-become JVM410H/JVMC212 owner and very interested and thankful for any feedback or advice - 10 more days till delivery or so!

I ploughed may way through here and jvmforum.com for info, cause I knew almost nothing bout that amp
don´t know if you did that too, andyg_prs and thestevegiant

many people in jvm-forum say, there is a "getting to know your amp"-phase for the 410H (as I understood it), which can take months (depends how much you play it per day) to kind of "settle" and develop a better tone.

I´ll just make the best out of it, keep experimenting and playing a lot and maybe even find a new individual, better sound at home than in the soundbooth of a musicstore.
I´m prepared for anything, I hope... *starts a prayer to the gods of sound*

spikei

Reaction score
Best advice i will give is keep to gain down low 1 or 2 on the dial on you OD 2 channel. i would also start with the presence and resonance off when you start to EQ your amp, you can introduce those when you have experimented a bit. channel vol around 6.
Loads of info on the JVM forum.
Good luck, Great amp.

Capel

Reaction score
....many people in jvm-forum say, there is a "getting to know your amp"-phase for the 410H (as I understood it), which can take months (depends how much you play it per day) to kind of "settle" and develop a better tone.

I´ll just make the best out of it, keep experimenting and playing a lot and maybe even find a new individual, better sound at home than in the soundbooth of a musicstore.
I´m prepared for anything, I hope... *starts a prayer to theU gods of sound*

I pulled mine out of the box the day I got it & threw it in the car to go to a gig (I hadn't even demoed it - I took the word of a very good friend who already had one.... I hadn't heard his either).... Only had 5 minutes of sound check, so I put everything on 5 & used the 4 green modes - instant love!!! :thumb:

Lowlife

Reaction score
I pulled mine out of the box the day I got it & threw it in the car to go to a gig (I hadn't even demoed it - I took the word of a very good friend who already had one.... I hadn't heard his either).... Only had 5 minutes of sound check, so I put everything on 5 & used the 4 green modes - instant love!!! :thumb:

Haha, thats insane...but the amp IS great

Chris Martins

Reaction score
Stock ( except for the tubes ) 410H here too... And a TSL100 too. Both great amps. Will probably add a DSL15H just because it looks like a fun little recording amp to have.

Australian

Green Beret
VIP Member
Reaction score
One of the Jazz Fusion big guns uses the JVM410. Frank Gambale.
If anyone finds some high quality of him using the JVM please post them.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXHkIl3gPJQ&feature=related]Guitar solo Frank Gambale Live in Tokyo - Cachination ( "Raison D'etre" album ) - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSu4mf3ysfY]Return to Forever IV: Frank Gambale's Guitar Solo (Sick Sweep Picking Alert!) - YouTube[/ame]

Phoenix Guitar

Reaction score
Grats on the 205H i had my eyes on one of those for a long time, until i got a good offer on the 410H second hand.

If i recall correctly the the JVM205 uses what corresponds to OD2 on the 410H. I personally prefer OD1, if you one day feel like converting, it is a VERY easy mod (2 capacitors and a resistor) to change it.

I used to have a TS as well, but shelved it with the arrival of 2 master volumes and all that gain.

Doesn't matter, all you need to do is EQ the 205 OD Green and Orange with the 50 watt version work well, increase mids or EQ. I still feel the OD Red on the 205 is the same as the OD2 on the 410. The OD green and Orange 205 are close enough to OD1 on 410. Play with gain and EQ. I like the green clean and green od on 205. All I need is 2 channels that why I don't care for these amps, 12 modes on the 410 is absolutely hilarious IMO.

I Like the 50 watt version better cause you an get a great saturation from it. Tired of the jokers that started the 2 capacitors and a resistor mod stuff LOL!!!!!! Wonder how many idiots modded or went to a 410. Guess the amp tech needing business or marshall starting threads. Don't believe the BS on the forum all the time.I love the Santiago stuff too! Santiago? Does he really exist?

Whoever bought the 410 should have stayed with the 205, it has 2 master volumes by the way.

Both JVM ROCK!!! There Marshalls, but would not put them in the Elite Marshall list.

bulldozer1984

Everybody's Favorite Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Doesn't matter, all you need to do is EQ the 205 OD Green and Orange with the 50 watt version work well, increase mids or EQ. I still feel the OD Red on the 205 is the same as the OD2 on the 410. The OD green and Orange 205 are close enough to OD1 on 410. Play with gain and EQ. I like the green clean and green od on 205. All I need is 2 channels that why I don't care for these amps, 12 modes on the 410 is absolutely hilarious IMO.

I Like the 50 watt version better cause you an get a great saturation from it. Tired of the jokers that started the 2 capacitors and a resistor mod stuff LOL!!!!!! Wonder how many idiots modded or went to a 410. Guess the amp tech needing business or marshall starting threads. Don't believe the BS on the forum all the time.I love the Santiago stuff too! Santiago? Does he really exist?

Whoever bought the 410 should have stayed with the 205, it has 2 master volumes by the way.

Both JVM ROCK!!! There Marshalls, but would not put them in the Elite Marshall list.

Are you for real ??

Would you like me to post up a video so you can see him for yourself ??

go to about 1:40

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9smsqmkWK0k]AFD100 Launch Video - YouTube[/ame]

if thats not enough, let me know. Ill post some more.